Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:08 AM

59 posts, read 243,296 times

Advertisements

No, you can't sleep in a tent in the countryside except in signalled places, and such action is forbidden most of the year.

Wild camping with dogs is forbidden, Romas do it because they just don't care and cops are afraid, but it's illegal.

No wild camping allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:58 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post

Anyway, the picture that Cattledog69 posted before with his two dogs is not free camping in a tent at all, but wild camping with his own vehicle. Such thing is not forbidden and I've seen such thing last year near where I live in the middle of a pine forest. but it would be better not to do a long stay parking this way by several consecutive days.

Just drive, go to legal campings facilities some days, go elsewhere in the countryside for experience wild camping with your motorhome for one night, then drive to the next city you want to visit for, go to camping service points for change waste tanks, ang leave your motorhome in a legal camping facilitity when you want to drive to small towns with your own car. I guess everything will be okay this way.
Yeah, that's what I was planning to do. I'm not gonna camp in the wild for weeks. But it would be nice for a day or to and then move to the next place. And from what I just found on the internet it is allowed indeed. Just not in every province, so it varies from place to place.

I translated this from the site scout pedia:
Spain, differently from region to region; in Catalonia it is for example anywhere allowed, even in national parks. Ask permission to local authority where prohibited or ask permission from huts worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancrace Mortimerius View Post
No, you can't sleep in a tent in the countryside except in signalled places, and such action is forbidden most of the year.

Wild camping with dogs is forbidden, Romas do it because they just don't care and cops are afraid, but it's illegal.

No wild camping allowed.
So you say the dogs make the difference? Can't find anything on this. The dogs will be on a chain though. We never let them run free on hollidays. Especially not in another country.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:09 PM

Dogs are considered a delicacy in Spain among certain people, don't let them loose.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:15 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times
Most of central Spain is the least densely populated area from our country. So, you can drive through rural roads to a place in the countryside at sunset, just away to the nearest town and in the middle of landscapes, then you can do wild camping nearby your motorhome (same than your picture with the dogs), or even you can sleep inside your motorhome. Then when sunrise comes, just continue toward the next city you want visit for.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:30 AM

And then Guardia Civil will order you "circulen", Rurales will fine you at least 5.000€ or an irate owner will think you are ROMA trying to settle his property and he might shoot your motorhome as if you were a wild boar.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:11 AM

Wow! Must be the real wild west over there!

Old 03-20-2015, 08:10 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancrace Mortimerius View Post
And then Guardia Civil will order you "circulen", Rurales will fine you at least 5.000€ or an irate owner will think you are ROMA trying to settle his property and he might shoot your motorhome as if you were a wild boar.
Well, I'm not aware about "Guardia Civil" police officers doing such thing with tourist when wild camping with their motorhomes in the countryside. This way seems to react with inappropiate force, but whatever. Hope you are kidding when you say "might shoot your motorhome..."

Anyway, I'm not a camper kinda person. So, the best thing Cattledog69 can do is to find a special forum for European or Dutch campers, and then ask them about wild camping in Spain.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:42 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
We're planning to go to Spain next year. My wife's been talking about it for years now so it really got me curious. Like the good Dutchies we are, we'll be taking the caravan and two dogs with us and tour around the country for a couple weeks and stay on some small campsites. Unlike most Dutch I really don't like the overly crowded mass touristic places were the first thing we'll see is "friet van Piet" (think you Spanish guys know what I mean).
I'd like to see some of the Horse culture and I really like Flamenco too so Andalusia is an good option but I would like to hear some more tips. For instance are there other regions were we can find this? Also like some good architecture as well and a nice beach now and then.
We'll be taking three weeks so we'd drive to one city, or village, stay for couple days or max a week and then go to the next.

So any tips?
Galicia, generally unspoilt by mass tourism (I believe its the region the Spanish like to holiday in to avoid the mid summer heat?)

Old 03-20-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Galicia, generally unspoilt by mass tourism (I believe its the region the Spanish like to holiday in to avoid the mid summer heat?)
Well that area certainly looks appealing to me. It seems a bit "out of the tourists zone" from what I could find on it and it seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for in a holiday. Not sure about the Flamenco though, but I did see some stuff about festivals going on there.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post

Yes..but avoiding Santiago and having a car. All the Atlantic seabord enjoys Atlantic weather, there are ferries from England, Southhampton I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe