Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 12:38 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
If your husband gets a lung cancer, are they going to do anything they can to treat him?
My husband would get excellent care because of have Tricare(Military insurance0
But lets pretend I am poor. If I am poor I will get medicaid. Medicaid will then foot the bill. Most hospitals take medicaide I may not get experimental drugs and treatments, But I would get good care.
It's not really the poor who are screwed by the health care system
Lets say I am middle class with my own insurance. I will get good care, and probably for quite some time. If sick for a very very long time, a few years ago, I might have run into caps on how much they would pay out. That is when some people get screwed. They would still get the care, but they may get stuck with some bills
My elderly mother is poor and lives off of SS .Shed gets medicare with a medicaid suppliment. She had kidney cancer for years. She had one kidney removed in 2007, then most of the second in 2011. She picked the hospitals she got treatment at. They paid for a nursing home. They paid for a nurse to come to her house. They have someone come and pick her up and take her to appointments. It's been 8 years since her diagnosis and treatment began. She is in remission and has not paid a penny. The only time she ever got a bill was for 1 ambulance trip from the hospital to the nursing home. Her doctor contacted medicare and stated that the ambulance was medically neccessary and medicare paid the bill.

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 03-22-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 12:40 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't confuse Romanians with Roma.
I don't. They hold Romanian passports.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
My husband would get excellent care because of have Tricare(Military insurance0
But lets pretend I am poor. If I am poor I will get medicaid. Madicaid will then foot the bill. Most hospitals take medicade. I may not get experimental drugs and treatments, But I would get good care.
It's not really the poor who are screwed by the health care system
Lets say I am middle class with my own insurance. I will get good care, and probably for quite some time. If sick for a very very long time, a few years ago, I might have run into caps on how much they would pay out. That is when some people get screwed. They would still get the care, but they may get stuck with some bills
My elderly mother is poor and lives off of SS And gets medicare with a medicaid suppliment. She had kidney cancer for years. She had one kidney removed in 2007, then most of the second in 2011. She picked the hospitals she got treatment at. They paid for a nursing home. They paid for a nurse to come to her house. They have someone come and pick her up and take her to appointments. It's been 8 years since her diagnosis and treatment began. She is in remission and has not paid a penny. The only time she ever got a bill was for 1 ambulance trip from the hospital to the nursing home. Her doctor contacted medicare and stated that the ambulance was medically neccessary and medicare paid the bill.
If it really works like that always, good But how much would cost a health insurence that has 100% coverage on everything?

Old 03-22-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
If it really works like that always, good But how much would cost a health insurence that has 100% coverage on everything?
Not always. It really seems to be the middle class that struggles with healthcare. They make to much to qualify for medicaid, but they cannot afford the insane premiums that health insurance requires. So you get this midlle group that has to much money for state funding, but not enough money to pay healthcare premiums. And then there is the issue of middle class americans having healthcare that is tied to their job. Many people will stay in a job that they hate because they don't want to lose insurance. And then sometimes sick people are to sick to work and lose their jobs and health care. I'm not denying we have serious issues with healthcare here.
I pay nothing for my healtcare except $5 for generic drugs and $10-20 for prescription ones.

Hundreds of dollars a month is what you would pay generally for great healthcare. People talk about higher taxes in Europe, but I think that if a lot of people looked at the cost of their insurance premiums, those taxes are not so bad.

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 03-22-2015 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Not always. It really seems to be the middle class that struggles with healthcare. They make to much to qualify for medicaid, but they cannot afford the insane premiums that health insurance requires. So you get this midlle group that has to much money for state funding, but not enough money to fun healthcare. And then there is the issue of middle class americans having healthcare that is tied to their job. Many people will stay in a job that they hate because they don't want to lose insurance. And then sometimes sick people are to sick to work and lose their jobs and health care. I'm not denying we have serious issues with healthcare here.
I pay nothing for my healtcare except $5 for generic drugs and $10-20 for prescription ones.

Hundreds of dollars a month is what you would pay generally for great healthcare. People talk about higher taxes in Europe, but I think that if a lot of people looked at the cost of their insurance premiums, those taxes are not so bad.
Oh doesn't sound good at all It's true that in Europe you really get your taxes worth of services, not much money goes to "security" and wars.

This is how much 1000 euros worth of cancer drugs cost in Finland:

No matter how much money you make.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Oh doesn't sound good at all It's true that in Europe you really get your taxes worth of services, not much money goes to "security" and wars.

This is how much 1000 euros worth of cancer drugs cost in Finland:

No matter how much money you make.
Yes, the other issue is that we pay far more for drugs and tests/treatments than you do. A drug that costs $40 there might cost 150 here. And IME test like CT scans , echocardiograms, etc cost 3 times more here. Even a standard check up is much cheaper in Europe.

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 03-22-2015 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, the other issue is that we pay far more for drugs and tests/treatmests than you do. A drug that costs $40 there might cost 150. And IME test like CT scans , echocardiograms etc cost 3 times more here. Even a standard check up is much cheaper in Europe.
Yes I have heard of that. It has something to do with liability issues or something like that :S

My American doctor told me that this very basic drug he described to me would have been over $100 in his country, it was 10€ here before the subsidies.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:25 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Actually in Europe cities would never zone suburbs like they have in America. The trend is to make cities more dense and green. Finland has 2 times more land per person than America but no one would want those suburbs here.
That's the trend in all of the Western World, but if they could developers in the 60's and 70's would have taken advantage of this and we might see more suburbs in Europe, for example the UK seems to have followed the American approach, although to a low extent, and there are suburbs like Milton Keynes built in the 0's and 70's which wouldn't look out of place in the USA. The current trend is redevelopment over extension when possible.

Quote:
Romanians in Finland:

They steal, they **** and urinate at public places, they use kids to fraud more money while begging, they prostitute, their mafia organizes those beggars(there's no poor people in Finland) etc. Keep in mind they pay a lot of money to come to Finland every summer just to do crimes.

The problem is that kicking them out is hard legally because some idiot thought it was a good idea to allow ****holes like Romania and Bulgaria to the EU. There's no reason why we shouldn't allow such ****ty countries with such population out of the Union.
Those are Romas, which are a minority of those who came here, it's unfair to generalize, Romanians people here are mostly hardworking and don't harm anyone, although human trafficking is an issue, it's Romas and Sinti who create problems here but they don't come only from Romania, but generally from the Balkans.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:43 PM

106 posts, read 143,027 times
i can only speak for myself and i'm happy in Europe. i'm not thinking about living in the USA, doesn't mean it's a nice country. both Europe and the USA got it's flaws and goods.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
That's the trend in all of the Western World, but if they could developers in the 60's and 70's would have taken advantage of this and we might see more suburbs in Europe, for example the UK seems to have followed the American approach, although to a low extent, and there are suburbs like Milton Keynes built in the 0's and 70's which wouldn't look out of place in the USA. The current trend is redevelopment over extension when possible.

Those are Romas, which are a minority of those who came here, it's unfair to generalize, Romanians people here are mostly hardworking and don't harm anyone, although human trafficking is an issue, it's Romas and Sinti who create problems here but they don't come only from Romania, but generally from the Balkans.
They have Romanian/Bulgarian passports, so I really don't care about their technical ethinicity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe