Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
I can guarantee you that 3/4 of Europeans would emigrate to the US if they were given a chance.
Now ask how many Americans would do the same vice-versa.
Well, you live in Eastern Europe. I would not like to emigrate to the U.S.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
More like a sub-continent, when you look at all of Eurasia.
Well its not a continent at all really.

Quote:
Canada. What she really wants is Canada. Beautiful scenery, "free" healthcare, great cooking in parts of it, slightly more rational politics than in the US, bilingual.
Well she better move to Canada!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
I can guarantee you that 3/4 of Europeans would emigrate to the US if they were given a chance.
Now ask how many Americans would do the same vice-versa.
I can guarantee you that 3/4 of Europeans wouldn't.

I have seriously thought about it, but after doing a lot of research, decided that is definitely not the country for me. Although I think it's an amazing country.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I've often pondered this question. Can't really answer it as I've never lived in another country for any length of time -- and vacations don't count in really experiencing another country on a daily and long-term basis as a citizen.

Were I to move to Eurpoe at this point in my life, I think it would be to the Netherlands.

Why?

For the simple (and perhaps overly simplistic reason) that I love to cycle and much of the Netherlands are flat and it's set up for cycling.

And I know several folks from the Netherlands living in the U.S. in my town and they are kind-hearted and generous. Hoping that their country men and women would prove the same.

And herring?

I love it!

AMS airport is wonderful as is the public transit. A lot of pluses. And don't forget the herring and pea soup.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 PM

667 posts, read 940,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
I can guarantee you that 3/4 of Europeans wouldn't.

I have seriously thought about it, but after doing a lot of research, decided that is definitely not the country for me. Although I think it's an amazing country.
I am from the Eastern Europe but wouldn't like to emigrate to the US. Don't even know what I would do there. Besides, America is very car-dependent and I don't want to drive)

Old 03-16-2015, 12:41 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've often pondered this question. Can't really answer it as I've never lived in another country for any length of time -- and vacations don't count in really experiencing another country on a daily and long-term basis as a citizen.

Were I to move to Eurpoe at this point in my life, I think it would be to the Netherlands.

Why?

For the simple (and perhaps overly simplistic reason) that I love to cycle and much of the Netherlands are flat and it's set up for cycling.

And I know several folks from the Netherlands living in the U.S. in my town and they are kind-hearted and generous. Hoping that their country men and women would prove the same.

And herring?

I love it!

AMS airport is wonderful as is the public transit. A lot of pluses. And don't forget the herring and pea soup.
Hi Dolphin, well I take that as a compliment. But could you get used to it? To be living in a completely different country? While doing my research, and I think I did it thoroughly, I found all the basics in life in America like finances, mortgages, healthcare etc. to be working the exact opposite from what I'm used to.
And the Netherlands is not all roses and sunshine eighter you know. There's also a lot of downside to it, like everywere, in every country.
I've had some American friends go absolutely crazy here sometimes in the first years.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:05 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
For me, the hardest thing in moving to a non-English speaking country would be the possible problems of communicating.

Sure, maybe you can teach an old dog (me) new tricks, but it still wouldn't be my native tongue and I'd never be totally fluent. Wish I were a polyglot, but alas, I am not. Had four years of Latin in HS -- wish it had been Spanish, German or French.

As a writer who loves language in all its many nuances, this might prove a stumbling block.

Canada--here I come!

Once I totally fell in love with Salt Spring Island -- I could imagine living there.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 PM

43 posts, read 112,994 times
I know health care is not "free." It comes out of taxes and I prefer that more than people having to get their own health insurance because not everyone can get the coverage they need. A lot of companies don't want to hire full-time so they don't cover you and I think that's wrong.

The parts of Europe I'm referring to are not the impoverished ones. I'm talking about Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Luxembourg, etc. Of course in the US, there are good and bad areas but one of the biggest things I hate about America is suburban sprawl and the ridiculous dependence on cars. This lifestyle is sick and is what's making us fat besides the nasty food. That's just one issue out of the many that I can't stand here.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Canada. What she really wants is Canada. Beautiful scenery, "free" healthcare, great cooking in parts of it, slightly more rational politics than in the US, bilingual.
You know what I'm seriously considering Canada! I LOVE Toronto and am going to be visiting Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City in a couple months. If I don't move to Toronto, then I'm considering Portland, Oregon as it is pretty European. Thank you for your post

Old 03-16-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I am from the Eastern Europe but wouldn't like to emigrate to the US. Don't even know what I would do there. Besides, America is very car-dependent and I don't want to drive)
Amen! Yes I absolutely HATE how car-dependent America is...I think that's what's destroyed this country. Suburban sprawl is the worst idea known to man. I can't wait to start a car-free life somewhere. I'm seriously considering Portland, OR if I stay in America or if I move to Canada, then I'm going to Toronto or Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe