Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 10:25 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I would probably get help from the medication's manufacturer (Schering-Plough), perhaps the entire medication free.

In reality, though, most MN jobs that pay $40k / year have health insurance, although it often comes with very expensive co-pays, co-insurance, deductibles, etc. Many people with cancer or another illness turn to the generosity of their friends and family by having fundraisers, spaghetti dinners, meat raffles, etc.
Is it common to contact a manufacturer of some drug?

According to wikipedia, roughly 50% of working people have some kind of an insurence from their employer. Oh my god that's just horrible... So Breaking Bad is actually a realistic scenario!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's almost entirely because public transportation is so abysmal in most of the U.S., you really HAVE to be a complete derelict (or incredibly unlucky) to get into a situation to be dependent on such a poor system.

If public transportation was good, like New York City for example, than all kinds of people from every walk of life, would gladly take it. That is what I loved about living in NYC, during the daytime you'd have dozens and dozens of suits on any and every subway carriage.

In short, the population of riders, is basically a reflection of how pathetic or good the system is.
I think it's unfair to call poorer people "derelict".
I have taken the bus in many places with poor public transit (ATL, Tucson, Phoenix, suburban Minneapolis) and saw few derelicts. Actually, on a lot of buses it seems like half the riders are 12-18 year old kids. Younger people are an often neglected public transit demographic, I think.

On the flip side, older people who can't or shouldn't be driving could really be one of the major beneficiaries of a good public transit system.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I have taken the bus in many places with poor public transit (ATL, Tucson, Phoenix, suburban Minneapolis) and saw few derelicts. Actually, on a lot of buses it seems like half the riders are 12-18 year old kids. Younger people are an often neglected public transit demographic, I think.
Yeah, I definitely think kids/college age students are also a lrge demographic for public transport

Old 03-24-2015, 10:55 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Have you been to Moscow? Real estate there is super expensive but they built this huge and efficient subway network decades ago. People can easily live 20km away from the city centre and still commute there every day without a car, so there's if one has will

People just don't seem to think of downtown as their "a public livingroom".
Downtown of one of your largest cities:

Haven't you heard that the cold war is on again?
I'm well aware the cold war is on again, thank you. And yes, I've been to Moscow and St. Petersburg, which also has an excellent metro. NYC has superb public transit (and metro), Chicago's is good, too, and the San Francisco Bay Area and the Washington DC area have not a metro, but a rapid transit train system for commuting to work. Other major cities have bus systems for commuting within town and from surrounding towns. The thing about bus systems in the US is that most (with the exception of NYC, San Francisco and Chicago) don't run often enough, which discourages ridership. The systems are much better funded in Europe.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Well, personally I don't like having to commute via car. Both the roads and drivers here are terrible. Also, the building where my office is just added in about 4 new businesses since the 1st of the year so there is not enough parking. I like nice cars and going on road trips, but driving to and from work, sucks, to put it mildly.

On the flip side, my parents are both terrified of public transit, or even taking a taxi. I could say the same about 90% of my extended family. I honestly know people who would simply never leave their home if they had to take a bus to get somewhere. They would quit their job and become a shut in.
Yeah i am starting to get more and more sick of the suburbs everyday and would love to live in a urban environment so i don't need to have a car (too much money). I wanna move to Chicago in the future, there you can easily get by without a car... especially compared to where i live now.

but don't get me wrong i'm not turning into one of those anti-suburban douche bags who trys to tell everyone how they should live

Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,794 times
Quote:

On the flip side, older people who can't or shouldn't be driving could really be one of the major beneficiaries of a good public transit system.
Public transportation in Europe is overrated too except for the middle to larger cities. Most small towns have maybe one or two buses an hour that do not take you to where you want to go and the service may stop at 8pm. I never use public transportation but I can walk or cycle everywhere. I mostly use the car too btw.

The problem with the US is, either you use the very poor public transportation and look 'derelict' or you spend at least $15.000 for a car. There is nothing in between. We spend weeks looking for 'cheap' cars below that price that were halfway decent but it was impossible to find anything. They even managed to ask near the new price for several year old used cars. I hadn't expected car prices to be such a rip-off in a car dependent country.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post

The problem with the US is, either you use the very poor public transportation and look 'derelict' or you spend at least $15.000 for a car. There is nothing in between. We spend weeks looking for 'cheap' cars below that price that were halfway decent but it was impossible to find anything. They even managed to ask near the new price for several year old used cars. I hadn't expected car prices to be such a rip-off in a car dependent country.

Americans don't think too much about the true cost of their lives because everything is financed, even used automobiles. If you pay everything in cash, transit, housing and education don't seem like very good deals.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Is it common to contact a manufacturer of some drug?

According to wikipedia, roughly 50% of working people have some kind of an insurence from their employer. Oh my god that's just horrible... So Breaking Bad is actually a realistic scenario!
US Census report:
http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Ce...mo/p60-250.pdf

Quote:
In 2013, the majority of individuals,
64.2 percent, were covered
by private health insurance. The largest
single type of health insurance
in 2013 was employment-based
health insurance, which covered
53.9 percent of the population.

In 2013, 34.3 percent of the
population was covered by government
health insurance (Table 1
and Figure 1). The percentage of
people covered by Medicaid in
2013 was 17.3 percent. During
this time, the percentage of
people covered by Medicare was
15.6 percent.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:10 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Why do these comparisons always happen with the US, anyway? Why don't we ever see threads comparing Europe and Canada?

Old 03-24-2015, 03:16 PM

529 posts, read 556,368 times
^^^^
Perhaps because from an European perspective Canada is overshadowed by its giant neighbour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe