Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
UK 36 46.75%
Deustchland 41 53.25%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:52 PM

9,980 posts, read 12,320,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Indeed. Actually, I think all of Europe is much less Americanized today than it used to be decades ago. There are few US products (due to poor quality or exaggerated price), there are lots of local alternatives in movies, music, food etc. as well, and they are appreciated by a lot of people, more so as they get out of the teenage age.
Life in Britain is as European as anywhere else on the continent, and that is not Americanized at all. It is really just the language that makes Americans think Britain is more Americanized.

One might even say that the US is more Europeanized these days, lots of German cars on the roads, TV shows of British origin (like those idol shows) etc.

The foundation of the US as a whole has basically always been just a mix of mostly British, German and to a lesser extent African-American culture.
Agreed.

Europe may seem Americanised but it isn't that much. If anything the USA is Europeanised (AKA Westernised) than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Well, I can complain about minor things (like the bus might be late, or traffic is bad), but there is nothing major here that I dislike. I enjoy my life, and consider myself lucky to be born here. I'd consider myself lucky to be born anywhere in Europe really, except the Balkans, Ukraine and Belarus (and Russia if we're including it).

And the UK isn't really Americanised. No more than Germany I'd say.
Is lucky the right word? Sure its better than most places in the world but most Brits know (well the ones who are not privileged) we can be living a much better life in the 6th richest country in the world. So personally I don't feel lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 04:16 AM

22,139 posts, read 29,449,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Agreed.

Europe may seem Americanised but it isn't that much. If anything the USA is Europeanised (AKA Westernised) than anything else.

Is lucky the right word? Sure its better than most places in the world but most Brits know (well the ones who are not privileged) we can be living a much better life in the 6th richest country in the world. So personally I don't feel lucky.
If your only complaint in life is that there are people in your country even wealthier than you are, then that's a pretty good sign that you are lucky to live where you do.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:25 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,468,680 times
Gute Frage!! I've lived in both and it's difficult to know:

Weather is better in Germany.
Food as well... But UK has the crunchy!!!!!
Language... I feel more confortable speaking English but it's something personal.
Cost of living better Germany too.
Friendliness... similar, more than friendliness I would say personalities are different.
Both have good natural places.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:52 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,646,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Friendliness... similar, more than friendliness I would say personalities are different.
Please elaborate.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:44 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,468,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Please elaborate.
In UK people can be more smiley and apparently friendly, but I observed more hypocresy and false words.
In Germany people are duller but direct and more sincere in friendliness and in hateness.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:49 AM

111 posts, read 132,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Both countries are very similar for an average person - similar climate, low wages, high taxes, very crowded, no significant energy resources, both countries policies are dictated by US.
The only significant difference there is really the language.
LOL, I am not sure about the UK, but hourly wages in Germany are significant higher than they are in the U.S. Maybe the annual income in the U.S. is higher, but the reason for this is hat the average American works about 25% more hours.

And please don't come with stupid PPP adjusted numbers or disposal income nonsense.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:52 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,453,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westphal View Post
LOL, I am not sure about the UK, but hourly wages in Germany are significant higher than they are in the U.S. Maybe the annual income in the U.S. is higher, but the reason for this is hat the average American works about 25% more hours.

And please don't come with stupid PPP adjusted numbers or disposal income nonsense.
In what fields?

I've heard of workers at say, BMW getting paid quite a bit more in Germany than in the USA.

However, in my field, wages are significantly lower in Germany.

Outside of Munich it seems like the average wage in Germany is pretty low...

Old 04-14-2015, 12:19 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,032,881 times
Both I think are the two most "global" nations in Europe.

Germany I'm sure "beats" the UK in terms of the business/technology/engineering (Germany has more household name consumer goods corporation with a very high reputation, although UKs no slouch either).

However, considering all the historic connections and common language the UK has with a pretty big chunk of the world, the UK is more international, the BBC is broadcast worldwide, I think it would be vastly easier for many more people to move to the UK no problem.

One thing I also find appealing about the UK is the range from urban to rural. Germanys population is a little equally spread out, as they were all separate kingdoms with their own capital until 1871.

The UK has London, which has a cosmopolitan energy that is rivaled only by New York all the way to the highlands and rugges coasts of Wales and Scotland which have a feel of wildness that is unrivaled in Germany. (its like being in lord of the rings). Plus all the small towns and cities with their own history and claim to fame which again are easy to get around because of english.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing with the exception of Berlin which is more international than anywhere else in Germany, one would really have to adjust to German language and culture anywhere else in the country.

(und dis komt aus ein man das hat Deutsch in hoch schule nicht vergessen und liebe Deutsch kultur and verstehen Oktoberfest is nur ein Bayerische traditionen). (and this comes from someone that hasn't forgotten the German I learned in high school, loves German culture, and knows Oktoberfest is really only a Bavarian tradition).

Old 04-14-2015, 01:26 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,567,553 times
I think Frankfurt is more international than Berlin. Berlin is a huge, for the most part boring village with just a few multi-cultural parts, whereas Frankfurt seems more diverse through and through. Even Stuttgart is probably more international than Berlin. Berlin is hyped for reasons I just don't get...

Same with London, most of it is rather boring, just like any big city. People often look at downtown and think the whole city must be like that. Far from it...

PS: Just looked it up, Frankfurt is indeed ranked several levels above Berlin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Old 04-14-2015, 01:38 PM

111 posts, read 132,666 times
Not in a special field. In both countries the wages for the manufacturing industry are above average. According to this statistic:

https://www.conference-board.org/ilc...x.cfm?id=28269

the hourly labor compensation in the manufacturing industry was 48.98$ for Germany compared to 36.34$ for the U.S. I know that Aldi in the U.S. pays good salaries compared to most other grocery retailers, they pay between 10$ and 12$. The starting wage at Aldi-Süd here in Germany is nearly 14 Euro. And the average annual salary is about 35,000 Euro. Of course in other fields hourly wages are higher in the U.S. For example nurses are badly paid in Germany. I guess employees in the finance and science sector are also better paid in the U.S.
With the exception of East Germany, the wages don't differ that strongly from region to region like they do in the U.S. I live in Düsseldorf and maybe salaries in München are 100 Euro higher per month, but that was it.
I guess the wages in Germany often seem lower because you as an employee don't see the amounts your employer already paid for your social benefits or will pay as an annual bonus if the company is doing well.
For example the company A. u. K. Müller GmbH & Co. KG A.u.K. Müller GmbH & Co. KG | akm, muller, valves, solenoid valves, servo controlled valves, drain valves, control valves, dialyses valves, pilot valves, straight valves, dispense valves, cartridge valves, metal ventile, steam valves, membrane, valve here in Düsseldorf has 189 employees and produces solenoid valves. The wage bill in 2013 was: 11,866,908 Euro or 62,788 Euro per employee. I think that's not bad. Germany is certainly not a low wage country as civis assumed in his post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe