Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
UK 36 46.75%
Deustchland 41 53.25%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:52 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,588,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef77 View Post
Germany is closer to the equator than the UK. Hence it's warmer. Put it like you want, but the only region that comes close to UK's weather is north Germany which is like on the same level as the UK.
London is warmer than Hamburg or any city on the north coast of Germany in every month of the year. Being closer to the equator does not necessarily make a place warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
I got the same impression, British climate is more pleasant on average. I find it really odd how people keep that myth about rainy weather alive...

London is south of Berlin, which happens to be one of the places with the best weather in Germany. London is almost exactly at the same latitude as the center of Germany.

Sure, London is much less continental, but it is in the east of the country, i.e. relatively far away from the rain, which tends to come from the SW and W. The mountains in Wales also catch a lot of that rain before it can move further east.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Not BS at all. London's summers are actually warmer than those in Munich, and it's much drier over the year as well. Look up the stats.

Berlin averages 1626 hours of sunshine, London averages 1653 hours.
LONDON IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF ALL THE UK, DEAR GOD, DOES SOMEBODY REALLY NEED TO POINT THAT OUT?

You should look up the stats so wouldn't spew that gibberish. If you'd bothered to do that, you would know that the UK gets almost twice the amount of rain compared to Germany.

And tell me, what do warmer summers have to do with precipitation and sunshine? Are you aware that cold temperature usually means anticyclone?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:58 PM

106 posts, read 142,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London is warmer than Hamburg or any city on the north coast of Germany in every month of the year. Being closer to the equator does not necessarily make a place warmer.
let's just agree that both countries are not particularly blessed with overwhelming sunshine and hot days all year. and guess what, i don't mind it. i like having four different seasons a year. all year summer would be boring as hell.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:00 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
LONDON IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF ALL THE UK, DEAR GOD, DOES SOMEBODY REALLY NEED TO POINT THAT OUT?

You should look up the stats so wouldn't spew that gibberish. If you'd bothered to do that, you would know that the UK gets almost twice the amount of rain compared to Germany.
Most of the eastern half of the UK, all the way up to Scotland, gets 500-650mm rain per year. The only rainy parts are in the west (Bristol gets about as much rain as Munich), or the mountainous areas.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:02 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post

And tell me, what do warmer summers have to do with precipitation and sunshine? Are you aware that cold temperature usually means anticyclone?
Average ainfall for Leeds, nearly 200 miles north of London, is 603mm. That is noticeably drier than any city in Western Germany. Rainfall is similar for all of Eastern England and Eastern Scotland. Average yearly sunshine here is 1574 hours, about the same as Hamburg, a little lower than Berlin, and higher than Cologne.

So it's you who is talking BS.

Summer temperatures are warmer in Germany for the most part, but that has nothing to do with rainfall.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:02 PM

what's the point guys. i like the weather here in Germany. In summer it can be incredibly hot (up to 40 degrees) and winters with lots of snow and cosy christmas markets

Old 04-14-2015, 02:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef77 View Post
let's just agree that both countries are not particularly blessed with overwhelming sunshine and hot days all year. and guess what, i don't mind it. i like having four different seasons a year. all year summer would be boring as hell.
Most people don't want hot days anyway, they suck. Intense sunshine only gives you skin cancer... Winters are mild in Britain. So really, the climate in Britain is almost perfect when you think about it

Old 04-14-2015, 02:07 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
PS - Germany might reach 40C in a very extreme heatwave like August 2003, but that's it.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Most people don't want hot days anyway, they suck. Intense sunshine only gives you skin cancer... Winters are mild in Britain. So really, the climate in Britain is almost perfect when you think about it
i've never been to the UK, but i really like snowy winters and hot summers (not too hot). the same weather all year would not be something i'd fancy. anyway, i'm planning to visit Britain soon. Hope they are not hostile to Germans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe