Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 09:55 PM

659 posts, read 936,514 times

Advertisements

I too am hesitant to go to Eastern Europe, I would love to go to a university in Eastern Europe, Central Europe, or even Northern Europe. Even though my parents' country's "right by blood" law means that I can get citizenship, I only know American English. I do not know any other language, before I learned American English, I was semi-fluent in Romanian but it was so long ago that I completely forgot the language.

I can't think of a country that's NOT Western Europe that would be okay with me only knowing American English. I'm not sure I'd have any good luck finding jobs, housing, or education with only know English......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 04:51 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,249,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I too am hesitant to go to Eastern Europe, I would love to go to a university in Eastern Europe, Central Europe, or even Northern Europe. Even though my parents' country's "right by blood" law means that I can get citizenship, I only know American English. I do not know any other language, before I learned American English, I was semi-fluent in Romanian but it was so long ago that I completely forgot the language.

I can't think of a country that's NOT Western Europe that would be okay with me only knowing American English. I'm not sure I'd have any good luck finding jobs, housing, or education with only know English......
I can hardly imagine that. Don't you think once you're surrounded by Romanians it'd all come back to you? I think you'd be "semi fluent" again in less then a year.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:47 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,796,128 times
You won't experience racism, stop worrying about it, most people don't care about race. Go there, i'm sure you will enjoy it, it's lovely and most of it is off the tourist paths

Old 03-29-2015, 08:49 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,546,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post

According to a Polish dude who temporarily lives in Cluj, there are more people speaking English in this city than in many other European countries:

Impressing is the number of people speaking English language in Cluj, since I traveled a lot around Europe, I must say that, I didn’t meet so many English speakers yet. People selling vegetables, cashiers at shops, waiters or passers on the sidewalk, all of them were possible to communicate in English. I didn’t see it other countries like: Spain, Italy, France, Turkey or Croatia. Maybe it is just specificity of Cluj, I don’t know.

https://adventuresintransylvania.wor...nd-to-romania/

Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,589,107 times
I would agree that going to an unfamiliar country or area is perhaps 'uncomfortable'. But from experience I'd suggest it may be an eye-opening thing and one can be surprised as to how one gets along under the circumstances.

And if one knows language say 'semi-fluent' well that's a plus in picking it up once again. Took me just a few weeks under the circumstances. It comes quick!

So I'd suggest like others go and doing that will certainly take you off the beaten path to the already trekked. There are some great places and people to meet in all of Eastern Europe. And I'd say you gotta 'go with the flow'! That'll make a lot of things interesting.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 PM

622 posts, read 523,977 times
Poland was the world's 17th most visited country in 2012 and you're highly unlikely to be the odd man out over there: Poland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are however human rights issues in Belarus and tourism isn't mentioned anywhere in the Wikipedia article for that country: Belarus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I think it would be wise to avoid that country at the moment. There may be some hostility towards you as an American due to US sanctions imposed on Russia. Belarus declared independence in 1994, but Russian is its main language and the current ruler, Alexander Lukashenko has been criticized by Western governments for his authoritarian style of leadership.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:17 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,454,696 times
If you meet a creepy german businessman on the train on the way, and you find out your online girlfriend lives in a hostel filled with beautiful women, take the first train out of there.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:15 AM

847 posts, read 1,172,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
There are however human rights issues in Belarus and tourism isn't mentioned anywhere in the Wikipedia article for that country: Belarus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I think it would be wise to avoid that country at the moment. There may be some hostility towards you as an American due to US sanctions imposed on Russia. Belarus declared independence in 1994, but Russian is its main language and the current ruler, Alexander Lukashenko has been criticized by Western governments for his authoritarian style of leadership.

I've never been to Belarus. But I don't think that its human rights issues can affect an average tourist.

Hostility? I think you overstimate this. People there (and here) are not fanatics or something. Just conformists.

Last edited by Muscovite; 03-30-2015 at 04:26 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 04:44 AM

667 posts, read 934,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
I've never been to Belarus. But I don't think that its human rights issues can affect an average tourist.

Hostility? I think you overstimate this. People there (and here) are not fanatics or something. Just conformists.
If you are not an active opposition member or candidate for presidency, you will be safe in Belarus. Well, there is always some crime, but a foreigner has no more chances to face it than your average Belarusian. Believe me, compared to many countries Belarus is very safe. It's a quiet place in general.

Hostility in Belarus due to US sanctions on Russia? That's absurd. Many Belarusians even support those sanctions, and the people that live near the Polish border are generally quite anti-Russian and pro-Western. And those who are pro-Russian (which are also many in the country) will not be aggressive to an American for the sanctions against Russia.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:53 AM

847 posts, read 1,172,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Hostility in Belarus due to US sanctions on Russia? That's absurd.
Yes, that's what I tried to explain to Xircal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe