Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 PM

97 posts, read 201,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Yes I agree and I have never said that all Northern Europeans have the same hair color or are identically the same. Obviously there are differences, I am of Northern European ancestry (Dutch & English respectively). Even in Northern Europe, brown hair is still the commonest hair color. I though differ from you, the way I classify due to the various sources, studies I have researched from.
* Scandinavians and Balts (especially Estonians) have the highest frequency of blonde hair. Nevertheless there is a high relatively high frequency of blonde hair amongst the Dutch (especially those from Groningen), Northern Germans, Eastern English and Northeastern Scottish. The Irish, the Western Brits, Belgians ( especially Flemish) are similar in that respect. The Northern French are still slightly darker-haired than these groups.
* The Irish, Scottish, Northern English, Welsh people have the highest frequency of red or reddish hair. Though the Bretons of northwestern France, Walloons, southern Norwegians, Icelanders, Danes from Jutland also have relatively high frequencies of red hair.
* The Scandinavians, Balts, Irish and the Scottish people have the highest frequency of blue and light eyes. The Dutch, English, Welsh, Northern Germans are also predominantly blue and light-eyed. The Belgians are similar to the Northern French, but are lighter-eyed than the French as a whole.

I think most scandinavians are blonde (not necessarely light blonde though), and thats my perception. Also Most germans specially those from the Northern parts and Dutch are are also blonde. With lighter shades of brown and lighter shades of blonde being the commonest after that and dark brown hair being the less frequent, although important specially in older people. It's all dependant on age aswell, The youngest being blonder in average than the older people.. even comparing people in their 20's and people in their 40's...

British people varies, Some areas of the UK are mostly Mousy brown haired (which is a hue between medium to light brown hair) specially areas in northeast England and south-East scotland. Scottish Highlanders(north scotland), Southern English, North-west english and Welsh tend to be majority Dark brown haired, followed by mousy brown (same goes for the Irish people). The only thing that changes within the British ISles areas is that in some areas Dark brown is the most common hair color and in others It's mousy hair color. After that Red and auburn and lightbrown/dirty blonde.. finally blonde , which in my experience isnt all that common.

Northern french and wallon are generally brown haired, either lightbrown or dark blonde thrown in the mix. Lighter blonde is surprisingly commoner than expected. Flemish are slighty blonder than Northern french, specially those living outside brussels .. blondism is quite common , most are either medium/dark blonde or have plain brown hair (not really dark or light). Extremes are not really that common.

Now Baltic people have huge hair color diversity, some are really blonde and others quite dark brown.. specially now with all the russian influence there.

About light eyes most people are light eyed... The Irish are lighter eyed than English and Northern french, although in Southern england, Wales, Northern france and some parts of belgium brown and hazel eyes become more common than in the rest of "northern" areas.

For example very blue eyes are very common in scandinavia and Ireland, but not so much in some eastern areas were gray(er) eyes tend to be more common. Hazel eyes seem to be more common than most people think, there are many hazel eyed people in Scandinavia, germany, Netherlands, UK.

Its also hard to explain, in some areas brown hair is "colder" and remains graysh and rarely has blondish hues.. British Brown is usually just plain brown with more graysh tones.. Continental brown is usually more "golden" A lot of the GErman, Dutch and Northern french people I've met with brown hair had some yellow tint in their hair. Scandinavian hair colors although lighter in Average than the British also seem colder in comparison to continental ones, probably some climate adaptation.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:45 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid0 View Post
When I was in trip in Ireland, I remember being in the public bus; and suddenly I realized all the people (except many of my classmates) had some sort of light eyes, being the blue or green..it was a strange feeling. Some of the Irish maybe noticed my face in shock observing all the local people in their eyes, some were smiling knowing I was checking if all of them had light eyes.
I found one of them with (light!!) brown eyes and he observed me with curiously in me observing him, and smiling a bit knowing I had found in the bus the one with brown eyes.
They would be smiling at you just to be friendly. I doubt they were aware you were checking out the colour of their eyes.

The Irish are not very concerned with that sort of thing in my experience.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:25 AM

142 posts, read 242,105 times
In my country, dark brown hair color prevails in all the regions (this is due to a study in 1800s, with military men).. But as you go north the dark brown becomes less intense..it looses it s color become more mousy brown (that is a brown-grey color).. In the south the brown is more dark and vivaceous

Like this mousy brown
http://radionbc.it/wp-content/upload...Staffelli7.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-26-2015 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 05-20-2015, 01:37 AM

237 posts, read 673,270 times
About 4 out 5 British people have light eyes, being blue or green.
48 per cent blue, 30 per cent green and 22 per cent brown.
Read more: Map of blue-eyed Britain: As scientists suggest colour is more attractive, study shows it is most common in Ireland and Scotland, but least likely in the south | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...56_634x632.jpg

Old 05-20-2015, 02:48 PM

90 posts, read 111,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safinator View Post
Not all northern europeans have the same coloring..

Scandinavians, Northern germans, Dutch and Baltic states (Especially Estonia and Latvia) have lighter hair.

Belgians(specially Wallons), Brits and Northern french have more brown hair.

Irish Have lighter eyes than Northern french.

Overall they all have pale skin though.

I dont think that Central-Eastern europeans have much darker skin though. Many Polish and Czech are as "white" as it comes. And light Hair and Eyes are very common among them too
I am guessing you are eastern european and that you will be biased. eastern europeans are darker than western Europeans. Scandinavians are blonder than any eastern european country no matter how you slavs deny it. i have seen threads where slavs go on a stupid dilusional craze on how they are supposedly purer and lighte than western euros but your not. in hair color its about even but the west wins by alittle thanks to Scandinavia which is blonder than latvians and estonians. in eye color western europe wins. in skin color western europe wins with no doubt.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:58 PM

90 posts, read 111,454 times
Now Baltic people have huge hair color diversity, some are really blonde and others quite dark brown.. specially now with all the russian influence there.

i agree with you on that. the balts are darker haired than scands, dutch and norther germans

Old 05-20-2015, 03:03 PM

34 posts, read 120,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveledtheworld View Post
I am guessing you are eastern european and that you will be biased. eastern europeans are darker than western Europeans. Scandinavians are blonder than any eastern european country no matter how you slavs deny it. i have seen threads where slavs go on a stupid dilusional craze on how they are supposedly purer and lighte than western euros but your not. in hair color its about even but the west wins by alittle thanks to Scandinavia which is blonder than latvians and estonians. in eye color western europe wins. in skin color western europe wins with no doubt.
I think that's you who are dellusioned. If you remove Slavic people from Baltic populations, Balts are close to being as blonde as Scandinavians. As for eye color Baltic countries win no doubt.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:15 PM

97 posts, read 201,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokoko View Post
I think that's you who are dellusioned. If you remove Slavic people from Baltic populations, Balts are close to being as blonde as Scandinavians. As for eye color Baltic countries win no doubt.
Estonians and Latvians, yes.. Lithuanians are more comparable to Russians..

I think Estonians and Latvians are still more likely to have dark hair...

Eastern europe has more diversity... The Lightest haired areas of NE europe have more dark haired people than NW europe (UK and Ireland excluded). THe darkest areas of SE europe (Balkans) have more light haired people than SW european nations...

There is clearly a bigger gap in pigmentation between Portuguese and Danish for ex..than there is between Croatians and Estonians. Even bulgarians or Bosnians have a quite blond minority which you rarely find among Portuguese.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:16 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,954,281 times
These threads really haven't changed

Old 05-20-2015, 04:44 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,697,759 times
I got it from my mother and father
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe