Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 10:03 AM

34 posts, read 121,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The thing seems to me that you are not acquainted with British and Irish people or you have an agenda. There are many British people who are as blond/blonde or blonder than Paul Bettany and they definitely more than your 1% joke!
I assume you are English. Have you ever been to the Baltics or you make comparison based on the people you met in the UK?
I went to a British university so my comparison is based on that. To be precise out of 40 people in my course only one boy and one girl were blonde. The rest were 50% dark hair, the kind of dark that is rare in the Baltics and another 50% many different variations of brown, auburn + ginger beards everywhere
Later I had an intership in Stockholm and adult Swedes didn't seem to have much higher blonde frequency than we have in the Baltics, unless you want to add all the fake blondes. In Lithuania girls more often dye their hair darker than go blond.
Norway is another matter, once we visited Norway with family and we stopped at a Norwegian shopping centre in Drammen. All the shoppers were so white blonde that I really felt like we were darkest creatures in there.
To sum up from my travel experiences the blondest people are in Norway, followed by Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Baltics, Finland. Britain is closer to Poland and surrounding EE countries because of the variation of hair and eye colors, but nowhere as light and homogenous as people from the Baltic sea region.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:12 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Description of skin types according to the Journal of Investigative Dermatology:
Phototype I - Ivory White skin tone (when unexposed to sunlight), this skin burns easily, never tans.
Phototype II - White skin tone (when unexposed), this skin burns but tans slightly with difficulty.
Phototype III - White skin tone (when unexposed), this skin burns moderately and tans moderately and unifomly.
Phototype IV - beige -olive skin tone, lightly-tanned(when unexposed), this skin burns minimally, tans moderately and easily.
Phototype V - moderate brown skin tone or tanned(when unexposed), this skin burns rarely, tans profusely.
Phototype VI - Dark brown or Black skin tone (when unexposed), this skin never burns and tans profusely.

Ratios of skin phototypes within some Indigenous European populations. Within White/European populations, skin phototype I to IV are usually found, but V is sometimes found in Mediterranean ones.

Phototypes I, II, III, IV.

Belgium - 13.2%, 20.7%, 37.7%, 28.4%
Denmark- 7.5%,24%,52%,16.2%
France - 11.6%, 25.7%, 30.9%, 31.8%
Finland - 8%, 25%, 57%, 10%
Germany - (I+II)32%, 40%, 28%
Iceland - 4%, 14.5%,65.5%, 16%
Ireland - 26%, 50%, 19.6%, 4.4%
Italy - (I+II) 10.3%, 45.8%, 44%
The Netherlands - 6.5%, 19.5%, 52%, 21.8%
Spain - 1%, 9%, 45%, 40%, 5%
Sweden - 2.1%, 26.5%, 62.7%, 8.5%
Swiss German-speakers: 1.9%, 17%, 56.2%, 23.9%
United Kingdom - 14.9%, 39.7%, 37.2%, 8%
Those figures are interesting. What is your source for these figures? I don't have reason to doubt them; I would just be interested in where they came from.

There is a famous quote from Benjamin Franklin where he describes various continental Europeans as "swarthy," including the Germans & Scandinavians. The only kernel of truth to that, I suppose, is the greater frequency of skin types I & II in the British Isles compared to continental Germanic nations (plus Finland), which seem to have a higher frequency of types III & IV.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:17 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
The Atlantic Celtic population was actually probably dark haired and dark-mixed eyed with skin that could tan.
Oh well if the Atlantic Celtic was so dark, then how come today it has the highest frequency of pale skin with or without red hair genes and a skin which doesn't tan? Additionally also the highest frequency of those who combine brown hair, blue eyes, again freckles and a skin which doesn't or hardly tans?

It was advantageous in primitive times, for humans living in the north Atlantic regions of Europe with a lighter skin tone, this helps with the Vitamin D which is essential for health. Today with the advancement of science, and also better nutrition, it is not so evident anymore. At one time, dark-skinned immigrants had the highest frequency of bone disorders such as rickets when iving in northern regions of Europe. Likewise, indigenous in equatorial Africa for example have a very dark-skinned which is offers a much better protection against UV rays. So there is an equilibrium in nature.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 AM

39 posts, read 72,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokoko View Post
I assume you are English. Have you ever been to the Baltics or you make comparison based on the people you met in the UK?
I went to a British university so my comparison is based on that. To be precise out of 40 people in my course only one boy and one girl were blonde. The rest were 50% dark hair, the kind of dark that is rare in the Baltics and another 50% many different variations of brown, auburn + ginger beards everywhere
Later I had an intership in Stockholm and adult Swedes didn't seem to have much higher blonde frequency than we have in the Baltics, unless you want to add all the fake blondes. In Lithuania girls more often dye their hair darker than go blond.
Norway is another matter, once we visited Norway with family and we stopped at a Norwegian shopping centre in Drammen. All the shoppers were so white blonde that I really felt like we were darkest creatures in there.
To sum up from my travel experiences the blondest people are in Norway, followed by Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Baltics, Finland. Britain is closer to Poland and surrounding EE countries because of the variation of hair and eye colors, but nowhere as light and homogenous as people from the Baltic sea region.
Drammen in east Norway are just a small town which can not set any standard on how norwegians are

Last edited by TAM-MY; 05-22-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I do not want to argue with you at all, I am of English and Dutch ancestry. My hair color is auburn like this Irish woman.
http://www.dowlingphotography.com/wp...eland_0178.jpg
All I was saying was that your country isn't that much blonder than Britain as some were putting it. I never denied that there are quite a few blonde Lithuanians, I have known some too. There are also way less immigrants in Lithuania than in England or other Western European countries, so to make an instant decision based on your school is less accurate. I well know that Norway is the blondest country in Scandinavia, if you read my posts, you would've known that. Lithuania is darker than other Baltic countries, I don't find you people (Balts) that homogenous. There are plenty of women not just in Lithuania, but all over Europe who dye their hair black. Haven't ever heard of the Goth culture as well?
The British are not really like EE, because they also have red hair than other Europeans. In your country, most people have brown or blonde hair, while in Britain and Scandinavia, blonde, brown and red hair is common. Norway, the rest of Scandinavia have also more redheads than Baltic countries.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I do not want to argue with you at all, I am of English and Dutch ancestry. My hair color is auburn like this Irish woman.
http://www.dowlingphotography.com/wp...eland_0178.jpg
All I was saying was that your country isn't that much blonder than Britain as some were putting it. I never denied that there are quite a few blonde Lithuanians, I have known some too. There are also way less immigrants in Lithuania than in England or other Western European countries, so to make an instant decision based on your school is less accurate. I well know that Norway is the blondest country in Scandinavia, if you read my posts, you would've known that. Lithuania is darker than other Baltic countries, I don't find you people (Balts) that homogenous. There are plenty of women not just in Lithuania, but all over Europe who dye their hair black. Haven't ever heard of the Goth culture as well?
The British are not really like EE, because they also have red hair than other Europeans. In your country, most people have brown or blonde hair, while in Britain and Scandinavia, blonde, brown and red hair is common. Norway, the rest of Scandinavia have also more redheads than Baltic countries.
Red hair is very rare to see in todays Norway. It was more "common" to see before. (it has never been very common)

Last edited by TAM-MY; 05-22-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You are saying that you came from a school in Britain where everyone had dark hair, except for two, right? Firstly define dark hair, because I do not believe you unless there was a large amount of immigrants as you were there. I am English, on one side of my family and there a good deal of my relatives who are blondes.
Take a good look at the picture below, in this English high school, there are hundreds of people, this is way more than the 40 people who were in the same course as you. There a fairly good share of blonds and people with light hair. Many of those with very dark hair are mainly of immigrants, These English high schoolers like just as Northern or Northwestern European people do. Who are you trying to fool?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7230/7...02e7bd85_k.jpg

You also said that you were blonde-haired in the U.K., but not in Lithuania. What rubbish is that? How blonde are you, because these are blonde British people. Are you blonder than these? I don't think so!

http://blog.amsvans.com/wp-content/u...medal-100m.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aEgaoOf.jpg

http://www.tablesleague.com/players/...g_alcock_1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T6L6mr5.jpg

http://www.gbcanoeing.org.uk/gbc/ass...old_2010_1.jpg

Old 05-22-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM-MY View Post
Drammen in east Norway are just a small town which can not set any standard on how norwegians are
From norwegian TV - Here are people from various parts of Norway:

First girl are from Bergen and her boyfriend are from Stavanger (which lays 4 hours south of Bergen). Both of them are what we in Norway call "vestlendinger" (west coast norwegians)

second girl (Blond girl) are from somewhere in southern Norway.

Third girl (short girl on the beach) are from northern Norway.

fourth girl (with the baby) are also from Stavanger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr4EDjOAZkA

Old 05-22-2015, 02:43 PM

34 posts, read 121,079 times
Quote:
You are saying that you came from a school in Britain where everyone had dark hair, except for two, right? Firstly define dark hair, because I do not believe you unless there was a large amount of immigrants as you were there. I am English, on one side of my family and there a good deal of my relatives who are blondes.
Take a good look at the picture below, in this English high school, there are hundreds of people, this is way more than the 40 people who were in the same course as you. There a fairly good share of blonds and people with light hair. Many of those with very dark hair are mainly of immigrants, These English high schoolers like just as Northern or Northwestern European people do. Who are you trying to fool?

You also said that you were blonde-haired in the U.K., but not in Lithuania. What rubbish is that? How blonde are you, because these are blonde British people. Are you blonder than these? I don't think so!
I said 2 people out of 40 were true blonde. About 18 were different variations of brown and auburn, light and medium, and the rest were quite dark. By dark I mean like Kate Middleton and David Tennant or darker. We only had 3 foreign people on my course.

If you feel that Brits are as fairheaded as Balts that's fine by me. I agree to disagree.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I said 2 people out of 40 were true blonde. About 18 were different variations of brown and auburn, light and medium, and the rest were quite dark. By dark I mean like Kate Middleton and David Tennant or darker. We only had 3 foreign people on my course.

If you feel that Brits are as fairheaded as Balts that's fine by me. I agree to disagree.
What do you mean by fair? I never said that the British are exactly as blonde as the Balts. However you were going overboard. That's all.

I like when Baltic women wear their traditional clothing, they look lovely! Here are some blonde-haired Lithuanians.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HeDtWVNBxm...Festival9a.JPG

O.K. if Kate Middleton is dark, then so are these Lithuanians below, right?
http://www.divine-art.com/AS/graphics/aidija.jpg
http://i2.wp.com/probballreport.com/...d-Splitter.jpg

Don't think because I'm a little fiery that I'm against Lithuanians. I have nothing against your people. I am just making my point. Lithuania might have been the country where the blonde+blue-eyed mutation started according to certain theories and spread into Scandinavia and then the rest of Northern Europe. Most of Lithuanians have either blonde or brown hair and light eyes, but red, auburn, reddish-blondes are not that common.
This is a blonde, blue-eyed, fair-skinned Lithuanian female looks very Eastern European.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...20a74cb919.jpg
Perhaps that is how blonde you are.

This is such a powerful Lithuanian:
http://topnews.in/usa/files/Zydrunas-Savickas.jpg

Last edited by saxonwold; 05-22-2015 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe