Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:41 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Well yes they can live there if they get a job. They can also stay for six months of the year and I should know my uncle is Canadian and he lives there for a long time each year.
Yes but that's the same for everybody, not just Canadians. Most Canadians applying for a job in the US has to go through the same rules and paperwork that a Brit, Mexican, and Indian would, unless they qualify for a TN visa (Mexicans also have this too). That's a very small number, though.

To stay six months every year, they have to apply for a B2 visa, which anyone can apply for. But, for people from VWP countries, the only way to get that visa is usually they have to be retired or completely self-sufficient on income in Canada. Canadians don't just show up here and we say come on through, like the British do to Irish citizens. It is not the same at all.

The point I'm making is, you, and pigeonhole and probably someone else, are confusing what freedom of movement means. Freedom of movement means you have the right to live and work in another country. You, as an EU citizen, have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU. If you need a visa, like Canadians to the US, you do not have freedom of movement. If the EU was dissolved tomorrow, what would happen to the Europeans who live in another EU country that isn't their own? They will lose freedom of movement and might have to return to their origin country and can't come back as easily to the country they lived in under freedom of movement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:46 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,200 times
No they don't have to apply for the visa its stamped on their passport like it is 3 months for me.

Canadians are allowed to visit the US for up to six months (182 days) per calendar year. Nationals of other countries are allowed only 90 days.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:49 AM

Quote:
No they don't have to apply for the visa its stamped on their passport like it is 3 months for me.
That is not freedom of movement. That stamp means you have been granted permission to visit. In other words, that stamp is a privilege, not a right, and you can be deported

Edit, I saw you're right. Canadians can stay up to six months like Americans can stay up to six months in the UK. But, they can still be deported. It does not mean Canadians have freedom of movement. Read my other post, you're straying off topic

Old 04-21-2015, 01:51 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,200 times
Well its enough for the Canadians to holiday in Arizona for many many months. The USA really needs to get a grip, I think at least Canadians should be allowed to live there.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Well its enough for the Canadians to holiday in Arizona for many many months. The USA really needs to get a grip, I think at least Canadians should be allowed to live there.

OK, gotta remind you, this still has nothing to do with freedom of movement in Europe, which the point of this topic is EU

Old 04-21-2015, 05:59 AM

622 posts, read 526,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
One example of how crappy the EU is is the immigration crisis. Almost every week there is another catastrophe. Today alone about 700 (!) people have drowned on their way to Europe. But the EU has no idea how to cope with that challenge. I suppose even the US-Mexican border is not as fatal...

And when I see the footage of the rescue teams, it hurts. They are dressed like the engineers at Japan's leaking nuclear reactor. They treat those immigrants as if they were toxic waste.
The reason for the rescue teams protective clothing is because many on the migrants come from countries like Eritrea which have a high prevalence of HIV and TB. Global Health Observatory Data Repository

But short of invading the countries where asylum seekers are coming from, I don't see how the EU can do anything other than to rescue them as and when they're found at sea.

Today, the captain of one of the boats has been charged with multiple homicide after 800 were drowned. Many of them were children who had been locked below decks which is sickening. Mediterranean capsized migrants' boat's captain charged - BBC News

There's some suggestion now of sinking smugglers boats (hopefully not with people still in them), but I can't see how that's going to work. After all, the navy can't just go in and shoot up all the boats in Tripoli harbour.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:08 AM

309 posts, read 257,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
On the topic of mass immigration, I'm accusing the West European governments, particularly the Italian one, of gross negligence. The Italian navy is right now employed in "search and rescue mission" at the limit of tunisian and lybian waters, and has thus brought to European soil (thanks to the Schengen Agreement) 10 000 asylum seekers since the beginning of March. It just can't go on like that, lest Italy (and Europe) becomes totally submerged.
Italian should topple the actual stupid prime minister (Monti, Draghi or whatever center left moron) and elect a tough goverment instead, which would decide not to bring the "migrants" to Italian shores, but to tow them back to where they come from ! My two cents.
Problem is, if they do that, they will immediately get the UN and of course the world policeman USA on their necks accusing them of human rights violations, crimes against humanity and suchlike crap. They will become the new target like Iraq.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:16 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
Problem is, if they do that, they will immediately get the UN and of course the world policeman USA on their necks accusing them of human rights violations, crimes against humanity and suchlike crap. They will become the new target like Iraq.
Exaggerate much? Nothing of that sort would happen. Already, the media in the USA is talking about how Italy is unfairly carrying the burden and talk is happening on how to help.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You're an EU enemy and yet, you live in Portugal the last time I checked, taking advantage of your EU right to freedom of movement that would evaporate if the EU was dissolved
Indeed, I would have to emigrate the GOOD, old-fashioned way, i.e. when emigration actually meant something other than moving house and being able to return at any time. One could actually be proud again to have achieved legal immigration and become a new citizen of the country of choice.

Last edited by Neuling; 04-24-2015 at 06:47 AM..

Old 04-24-2015, 06:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
On the topic of mass immigration, I'm accusing the West European governments, particularly the Italian one, of gross negligence. The Italian navy is right now employed in "search and rescue mission" at the limit of tunisian and lybian waters, and has thus brought to European soil (thanks to the Schengen Agreement) 10 000 asylum seekers since the beginning of March. It just can't go on like that, lest Italy (and Europe) becomes totally submerged.
Italian should topple the actual stupid prime minister (Monti, Draghi or whatever center left moron) and elect a tough goverment instead, which would decide not to bring the "migrants" to Italian shores, but to tow them back to where they come from ! My two cents.
Wow, you are drowning in compassion

Many of those people come from war-torn places like Syria and a few troubled African countries.

I find it odd when the continent, whose people went around the world, killed native populations and stole their lands - entire continents -, are making such a fuss about a few million immigrants, most of whom are rather young by the way, exactly what wrinkling Europe needs, fresh blood. It's not that those immigrants are doing here what our ancestors did in Africa, the Americas, Australia etc., i.e. kill us off and steal our land.

I also find it odd because the EU with its economic policies, arms exports, etc. is contributing a lot to the poverty and hopelessness in Africa in the first place.

And even the small percentage of illegals who come for economic reasons only, i.e. not from a war-torn place, why should they not go somewhere they have not been invited? That is what European ancestors did, the Indians, Aboriginals etc. did not invite them, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe