Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 11:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times

Advertisements

Pre-poll votes counted (except for Helsinki) and revealed:

1) Centre
2) Social Democrats
3) Coalition
4) True Finns
5) Greens
6) Left Alliance
7) Swedish People's Party
8) Christian Democrats

Centre, SD, SFP, and CD supporters usually vote in advance, while the unsure voters, especially in cities often vote for the Coalition, Left Alliance or Greens, and True Finns as well vote on election day. The Greens will get a huge win along with the Social Democrats, especially when the large urban areas Helsinki, Tampere and Turku are counted the last. The Centre party does usually really poorly in these cities.

Tight, very tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 01:08 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I would think so since they love everything American above their own culture and were born after the Berlin Wall fell, so you'd think they would subconsciously assume American political and religious ideas as well. I could be totally wrong though, I hope?

I have heard British youth are more in favor of Thatcher-esque libertarian economics than their parents who grew up with and still favor the social democratic systems. Also there are a lot of fascists in Europe now unfortunately and I'd imagine they're mostly young people?
A lot of assumptions in there. Wrong ones in my view. Europeans don't care about US religious and political ideas. If they know anything about it at all, they are more likely to shake their heads.

Europe is an aging continent, old people are the problem since there are so many of them and they tend to live in the past, while having a big impact on the future via elections, And that is a depressing development.

Frankly, I think anyone older than 50 should no longer be allowed to run for political offices

Old 04-19-2015, 01:16 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Frankly, I think anyone older than 50 should no longer be allowed to run for political offices
Hillary Clinton is running for president in 2016. She will be 69 next year. I think she is too old. The Norwegian PM is "only" 54

Old 04-19-2015, 01:16 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakral View Post
"Send all homosexuals and Somalis to an island in the Baltic Sea!"
Finns offer the right thing.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:05 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
95% of the votes counted... estimated Parliamentary seats of 200 total:

Centre: 49
True Finns: 38
Coalition: 37
Social Democrats: 34
Greens: 15
Left Alliance: 12
Swedish Peoples' Party: 9
Christian Democrats: 5
Change 2011 (populist nationalist): 1

A huge blow for the liberal faction. The three largest will most likely form the government, probably sucking the CD with them, creating a conservative government with 129 seats.

The only hope anymore is that the Coalition will take the second seat with the votes from Helsinki, Turku and Tampere, the only regions still not over 90% counted, and where the current top two have traditionally a poor voter base. That could create a back door for the Greens and the Swedish speakers.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:11 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

A huge blow for the liberal faction. The three largest will most likely form the government, probably sucking the CD with them, creating a conservative government with 129 seats.

The only hope anymore is that the Coalition will take the second seat with the votes from Helsinki, Turku and Tampere, the only regions still not over 90% counted, and where the current top two have traditionally a poor voter base. That could create a back door for the Greens and the Swedish speakers.
How True Finns relate to Russians? I think we have a lot in common ...

Old 04-19-2015, 02:13 PM

676 posts, read 988,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

a Victory for Finland !

Old 04-19-2015, 02:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I think it has a lot to do with the level of education. Educated young people tend to be more liberal, while the losers of our current system tend to be conservative, often drifting further and further to the right the more they get the sensation there is no place and purpose for them.
I think that is a global situation, not only a European one.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
a Victory for Finland !
I assume you know close to nothing about the various Finnish parties?

Old 04-19-2015, 02:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think it has a lot to do with the level of education. Educated young people tend to be more liberal, while the losers of our current system tend to be conservative, often drifting further and further to the right the more they get the sensation there is no place and purpose for them.
I think that is a global situation, not only a European one.
I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe