Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:12 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm against the death sentence but saying young people who commit murder ''don't know what they're doing'' is actually insulting to Young people. They should be punished AND undergo therapy. Not just therapy murder is murder!
Do you have any university degrees on this field? Because those laws are based on research.

Actually it's not a murder if he/she is a minor below this age limit. This same logic goes if a person is mentally handicapped. But whatever I don't expect you to understand such morally complex concepts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:22 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Also in Finland criminals are far less likely to commit crimes again than in countries like USA where you can get sentences of decades. Imprisoning people doesn't help anything really.
In Finland, you can by law be convicted for murder as a "first timer", even if you have a past record of murders. Wonder if and how much this skews statistics.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
What, i just thought you said a kid like that shouldn't be punished? But a lifelong record, isn't that a rather harsh punishment for something done at the age of 13? If the point is to rehab him into a member of the society, why should he have to drag on a record which can really prohibit him from being one? Oh, are you trying to say that he's actually maybe not going to get fully "cured" in "professional care"?

FYI, a person released from prison or whatever care has the full right to live anywhere in this country they choose, including next door to you.
Buying a gun and becoming a police officer are not human rights you know :P

Of course he has. Do you have any idea how low reoffending rates Finland has? Or Norway which has even lower sentences? And that your views are nothing like Finland's system works?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:29 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
Quote:
Buying a gun and becoming a police officer are not human rights you know :P
But what i asked, was..

Quote:
If the point is to rehab him into a member of the society, why should he have to drag on a record which can really prohibit him from being one? Oh, are you trying to say that he's actually maybe not going to get fully "cured" in "professional care"?
And..

Quote:
Do you have any idea how low reoffending rates Finland has? Or Norway which has even lower sentences?
So is this a unconditional "yes" to the question, you would have no problem whatsoever living next door to a guy like him later on?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You said it was the murder capital of Europe. That was a blatant lie, and you know it.

Yeah, I saw that article. Doesn't take differences in laws into account (a violent crime in the UK requires no physical contact at all), and I find it hard to believe a person in Austria is more likely to be a victim of violent crime than someone in South Africa. One study by the OECD says Iceland has a higher violent crime rate than the UK, and the lowest is actually Italy. Interesting, ain't it?

Then there's this which would imply the US has it right after all And Japan has the lowest, and has the death penalty (I don't support it though)

Hella old mind.
That quote was from your own newspaper, so I don't know "it".

You are seriously claiming that Canada and Denmark have more crime than America? And that because Japan executes criminals that makes murderers go away? Delusional you are

There's no point in comparing "violent crime" the definition varies vastly from country to country.

But let me present to you assault death in the US:
[IMG][/IMG]

Dude this is not how any of this works

edit:

Homicide rates by OECD:
Intentional Homicide
Country Police Recorded Cases
per 100,000 population
Mexico 18.1
Estonia 5.2
United States 5.0
Chile 3.7
Turkey 3.3
Korea 2.9
Luxembourg 2.5
Finland 2.3
Israel 2.1
Canada 1.8
Belgium 1.7
Scotland 1.6
New Zealand 1.5
Slovakia 1.5
France 1.4
Hungary 1.4
Poland 1.3
Northern Ireland 1.2
Australia 1.2
Ireland 1.2
Portugal 1.2
England and Wales 1.1
Netherlands 1.1
Greece 1.0
Italy 1.0
Sweden 1.0
Czech Republic 0.9
Denmark 0.9
Spain 0.9
Germany 0.8
Switzerland 0.7
Norway 0.6
Slovenia 0.6
Austria 0.5
Japan 0.5
Iceland 0.3

So by your flawed logic Iceland has the toughest sentences and prisons? ROFLMAO

Last edited by Majurius; 04-23-2015 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
In Finland, you can by law be convicted for murder as a "first timer", even if you have a past record of murders. Wonder if and how much this skews statistics.
Not true, murder is always "life sentence", you can get out only by pardon. Manslaughter is what you meant

Old 04-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
But what i asked, was..

And..

So is this a unconditional "yes" to the question, you would have no problem whatsoever living next door to a guy like him later on?
That you can ask from your MP Most of these records have an expiration time btw. Also background checks are not daily business in Finland. If you want to become a soldier, police officer etc then you should be worried.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
And Ireland has the most advanced society and legal system? Ok. That age limit comes from the "english common law" No wonder everything is little backwards on that little island. Are they allowed to use condoms yet, or is that against some imaginary god?

Defence of infancy:

Only a retard can't understand this concept. I'm so glad these rednecks "thinking" with their emotions don't make laws in my country.
Your first paragraph has no relavence to the topic at hand. Defence of infancy will vary from country to country.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Your first paragraph has no relavence to the topic at hand. Defence of infancy will vary from country to country.
Yea but that's the concept. That is why this boy doesn't go to jail. In some other country maybe, but that's because cultural differences.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
That quote was from your own newspaper, so I don't know "it".

You are seriously claiming that Canada and Denmark have more crime than America? And that because Japan executes criminals that makes murderers go away? Delusional you are

There's no point in comparing "violent crime" the definition varies vastly from country to country.

But let me present to you assault death in the US:
[IMG][/IMG]

Dude this is not how any of this works
You seriously think uk and Austria are more violent than SA? Both seem unbelievable, but who am I to argue with the stats. I already said that the definition varies, which is probably why violent crime comparisons are hard to find.

Re Japan: No I never said that. I don't think there is a correlation at all. That was kinda my point. I disagree with the death penalty on moral grounds. I don't think it makes any difference to crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe