Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:40 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Ruth - I am in DFW. Be prepared to pay full asking price or premium and 2.5-3% real estate tax. Average square foot price in my area is $145 and up.
What's DFW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphal View Post
The hint with the washer/dryer is a good one. It's very similar with the lack of a kitchen in most German apartments. I understand that this is annoying for people that aren't used to it. Here in Germany washer and dryer is something that you take with you. By contrast, Germans would find it very annoying that washer and dryer are already installed in most American apartments. It's not always possible to throw those shoddy appliances away and replace them with your own ones.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yeah but it seems like in Germany its not rare to find a nice 1 bedroom or studio for under $500 a month... here that would be very rare outside small towns.
But you have to consider what's consi8dered a "nice" 1-br. in Germany vs. in the US. According to a past thread, "nice" in Germany would be around 500 sq. feet. In the US, a "nice" 1-br. apt. would have more than twice that sq. footage. I'm not sure if you're comparing apples to apples in your statement, or not.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:57 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's DFW?
I believe it's Dallas Forth Worth.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:08 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,220 times
Quote:
Usually the German rent apartments don't have kitchen furniture in them. If the tenants move out they also take the kitchen furniture with them coz they bought it themselves. Seems ridiculous to me but w/e.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Usually the German rent apartments don't have kitchen furniture in them. If the tenants move out they also take the kitchen furniture with them coz they bought it themselves. Seems ridiculous to me but w/e.
By "kitchen furniture", do you mean appliances? Fridge, over/stove? So there's a room, or a space designated as a kitchen, but it's not equipped with appliances?

That's a lot of stuff to schlep around with you when you move. It's expensive to move heavy appliances, and troublesome. The other thing about European apartments is that they usually don't have built-in closets, so you also have to haul around your family's armoirs, as well.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:32 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,220 times
By kitchen furniture I mean kitchen furniture, not just the appliances, also the cupboards, drawers and cabinets.
The Germans are basically kitchen nomads.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
By kitchen furniture I mean kitchen furniture, not just the appliances, also the cupboards, drawers and cabinets.
The Germans are basically kitchen nomads.
People dismount the cupboards from the walls, and take the floor cabinet/countertop units with them?? What if they don't fit into the new apartment? Are they designed to be modular, so they fit in any configuration anywhere?

o.0

Old 05-08-2015, 01:15 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,066 times
Quote:
People dismount the cupboards from the walls, and take the floor cabinet/countertop units with them?? What if they don't fit into the new apartment? Are they designed to be modular, so they fit in any configuration anywhere?

o.0
Yes, the cupboards mostly just hang from L hooks or similar mounts. Sometimes you get lucky and your kitchen fits but normaly you have to adapt a bit. A new countertop is usually needed. The basic kitchen units tend to be pretty universal but the more elaborate ones can be a lot harder.

Sometimes you can buy the kitchen from the previous renter. Secondhand kitchens are quite cheap, I got my last one for free with appliances, just had to dismantle and haul away. It was way to big for my place but I used bits and pieces of it to make a kitchen in my apartment. Every move does seem to damage the bits.

It bothered me at first as an American being used to having the kitchen in place but "ändere Länder ändere Sitten" different lands different customs.

Lot's of the small student apartments here in Heidelberg do have a small kitchen included.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:10 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yeah but it seems like in Germany its not rare to find a nice 1 bedroom or studio for under $500 a month... here that would be very rare outside small towns.
Yes, I agree that any apartment in the U.S. under $500/month is not going to be very nice, but an $700-$800/month will be nice with a community pool, and washer/dryer.

But I suspect the German apartment for under $500/month is not going to be very nice either. My wife and I watch a lot of House Hunters International TV shows.....the European houses don't match up well with some American expectations mainly the kitchens and bathrooms. I think the price of a house that an upper middle class American considers nice in a mid-size German city will be more expensive than in the U.S., or at least comparably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe