Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:28 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times

Advertisements

If you're going to Finland, Bergen is probably the most popular destination for the cruises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 07:32 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Most of these are rather well known touristic destinations, at least here in Europe, there are a few exceptions like the highlighted locations, as for Italy which is the country i know the most i think that both Turin and Bologna are relatively off the beaten paths despite not deserving it, they have more to offer to the average tourist than Milan does.

I think you shouldn't miss out on Lake Garda, it's by far my favourite lake here in Italy both because of its topography and of the places which surround it, it's well known in Europe but not elsewhere, you have flat land with beaches at the southern end of the lake, a rocky coast littered by quaint villages in the middle and cliffs at the northern end. It's also a place to go if you love hiking and mountain biking
I second Lake Garda. Spectacular.
Oslo, which is on his list, is one of my favorite cities in Europe.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:22 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
Thank you for the insight! I've also heard that Milan is somewhat limited and that I should spend more time outside the city in neighboring cities.
Milan just isn't a city for a tourist (there isn't much to see in comparison to other Italian cities as much of its historic center was destroyed during WW2, it's also a quite polycentric city and most of the nightlife is dound outside of the historic center) but you should visit it if your trip will be before the end of October, in fact the World Fair is being hosted there. It'll take you at least 2 day to visit it.

The cities surrounding it like Turin, Bologna and Genoa all have more to offer from a touristic standpoint, they can be visited as day trips, but one day isn't enough to visit them extensively

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I second Lake Garda. Spectacular.
Oslo, which is on his list, is one of my favorite cities in Europe.
Always heard contrasting views about Oslo, quite a few don't like its expensiveness and the lack of vibrancy and nightlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you're going to Finland, Bergen is probably the most popular destination for the cruises.
Bergen is in Norway and not Finland as you have stated

Old 05-17-2015, 11:26 PM

351 posts, read 499,852 times
Tallinn or Riga, or both!

Old 05-18-2015, 05:43 AM

502 posts, read 655,194 times
Malaga, Spain is a good bet. They have been renovating, building public transport and openning museums like there is no tomorrow

Old 05-18-2015, 07:39 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
Quote:
Mil

Always heard contrasting views about Oslo, quite a few don't like its expensiveness and the lack of vibrancy and nightlife.

Legitimate criticisms. I am in my 40's and not really into nightlife, so It's possible that is accurate.
It is definitely expensive, although the USD/NOK exchange rate is a bit better.
It is a smaller city and more modern, less charming than other European cities I have been too. There was just something about it though.
We have a friend in Oslo so he was able to give us a nice tour. He also drove us out of Oslo and we explored some other cities like Drammen and Kongsberg. If you are looking for cheaper and more nightlife, Copenhagen might be better. If you want natural beauty, go for Oslo

Old 05-18-2015, 09:04 AM

490 posts, read 682,203 times
Montenegro is making a big effort to boost its tourism industry.

The Bay of Kotor is renowned for its natural beauty. A large superyacht marina is now up and running there, with all the 5 star facilities that entails.

I haven't been there myself, but I know people who have and they said it surpassed their expectations.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
Edit: Just learned that Pul-a is slang word in Romanian and can't be used on CD
Pola, Zara, Fiume, Ragusa and Spalato are all acceptable.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:22 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
A friend of mine went to med school in Oslo and always talked about experiences riding the railway from Oslo to Bergen. For some reason, I skipped a whole country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWY2U2FVqn8

Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I think Sheffield is on the verge of a huge breakout as a tourist destination.
Sheffield, pah! Sheffield doesn't compare to the stunning neighbouring city of Bradford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe