Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times

Advertisements

Looks like the RoI will become the first country in the history of the world, - ever, to legalize SSM by popular vote.

Recent polls suggested 70/30 in favor, but no-one really believes that.

Lots of elderly, and not so elderly mostly rural people who may have said they were voting yes, are expected to actually vote no. That said, the measure is still expected to pass handsomely, especially if turnout is low by Irish standards.

A poll on an Irish discussion forum I participate in has estimates of 55-60% in favor.

It's probably fortunate that this is the only issue being voted on, so only the most committed people will vote. If it was a ballot question on a regular election it likely wouldn't do as well because of a higher turnout of people voting on other issues. That also means we'll have result quickly, early Saturday. Typical Irish election votes can take days to resolve due to the particular form of PR adopted.

As a son of the auld sod who grew up in the stifling RCC controlled environment of the 60's &70's I'll be proud of my fellows if they do this. My last vote in Ire was to elect the first woman prez in 1991.

Here's an all you need to know Q&A from the Irish Times, maybe TMI.

All you need to know about the marriage referendum

Guess I'll have egg if it turns out a No vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 03:54 AM

576 posts, read 422,213 times
I'm pretty certain its going to pass I reckon only if there is a low voter turn out it won't be legalised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ganRbr-WBiI

Old 05-22-2015, 03:57 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
How can stuff like this(aka human rights issue) be decided by a referendum? That's such bull****.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:58 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
and they call themselves "catholics" ? what a shame!

Old 05-22-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
How can stuff like this(aka human rights issue) be decided by a referendum? That's such bull****.
Civil partnership was introduced in Ireland in 2010. We have to vote on it because it is a change to our constitution it gives same-sex marriages equal constitutional status.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
and they call themselves "catholics" ? what a shame!
Due to the history of institutional abuse the catholic church is no longer the moral authority in Ireland that it once was.

Last edited by wolfloon; 05-22-2015 at 04:30 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 04:53 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Default I guess I'm naive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfloon View Post
Due to the history of institutional abuse the catholic church is no longer the moral authority in Ireland that it once was.
Oh naive me I thought that the reason why the catholic church had lost some moral authority is because of many priests embracing IRA terrorism in the past ...

Old 05-22-2015, 05:13 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
It's because of the way the Irish constitution is drawn up.

"An amendment may be made to any part of the Constitution of Ireland but only by referendum. An amendment must first be approved by both Houses of the Oireachtas (parliament), then submitted to a referendum, and finally signed into law by the President."

Amendments to the Constitution of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-22-2015, 05:49 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times
Quote:
My advice to you. Don't ever run for any political office, you'll likely waste everyone's time. There's just not much percentage in making the perfect the enemy of the good.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:49 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
It's because of the way the Irish constitution is drawn up.

"An amendment may be made to any part of the Constitution of Ireland but only by referendum. An amendment must first be approved by both Houses of the Oireachtas (parliament), then submitted to a referendum, and finally signed into law by the President."

Amendments to the Constitution of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Then I guess it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
My advice to you. Don't ever run for any political office, you'll likely waste everyone's time. There's just not much percentage in making the perfect the enemy of the good.
Lol I'm not planning to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe