Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:47 PM
xdy7bf

n/a posts

Advertisements

hi,how is life like in portugal? salary.rent,?
would it be a good idea to live in france and work in luxemburgh?
i recently acquired portuguese citizenship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 02:05 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,306 times
Your question is a bit vague. It depends on your area and your job , however, Portugal is generally cheaper than other European countries but the salaries are lower and the job market is not very Good right now due to the crisis. However, if You have a Good earning job, your money will go further than most Western European nations (although supermarket products are at the same price as other countries).
With Portuguese citzenship You have the right to go and work in another EU nation. Many people working in Luxemburg live in France ("frontaliers" as they are called) because the cost of living is lower and the salaries are higher in Luxemburg than France. I can't give any further info since I do not work in this area but the best is to check the official websites to get your info.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:55 PM
xdy7bf

n/a posts
thank you so much for your info!!!!
if anyone here lives in portugal or has lived there any input will be appreciated or anyone who has worked in luxemburgh,,heard the salary is great there and since rent would be cheaper in france it might be a good idea to be a frontalier

Old 05-25-2015, 10:17 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddalove View Post
hi,how is life like in portugal? salary.rent,?
would it be a good idea to live in france and work in luxemburgh?
i recently acquired portuguese citizenship
Where are you from? How did you acquire Portuguese citizenship without living in Portugal?

Old 05-26-2015, 05:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Where are you from? How did you acquire Portuguese citizenship without living in Portugal?
Good question.

Judging from the op, he or she doesn't really seem to have any affection for Portugal in particular. Because, if someone really wants to live in Portugal, they will find a way to make a living there. But it is not easy. It depends on one's skill set and qualification. But one really has to be fluent in Portuguese, else your life in this country would be very difficult, professionally all but impossible.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:34 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
On my trip to Lisbon, the guide told us it cost 300 euros only to rent a one bedroom flat in central Lisbon, 150-200 if you have roommates. That's very low. Only explanation is that local wage is quite low too.

Cost of living is low in Portugal. I didn't even bother to check price when I stopped at cafes and restaurants in Lisbon, because everything is like half the price or less of what we have in Canada.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:47 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
@ botticeelli : still too expensive to be submitted 24/24 to the punishing sound of the Portuguese language.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:47 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
On my trip to Lisbon, the guide told us it cost 300 euros only to rent a one bedroom flat in central Lisbon, 150-200 if you have roommates. That's very low. Only explanation is that local wage is quite low too.

Cost of living is low in Portugal. I didn't even bother to check price when I stopped at cafes and restaurants in Lisbon, because everything is like half the price or less of what we have in Canada.
I found Spain to be similar and I've been told Portugal is as cheap if not cheaper. Just order what you want and don't worry about the price, it's going to be reasonable.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:52 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Just order what you want and don't worry about the price, it's going to be reasonable.

But if you don't speak Portuguese ? do they understand English or Spanish ?

Old 05-28-2015, 01:02 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Just order what you want and don't worry about the price, it's going to be reasonable.

But if you don't speak Portuguese ? do they understand English or Spanish ?

You are much more likely to find an English speaker than a Spanish speaker in Portugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe