Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 11:39 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,449,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Yep where I live intentionally touching or pushing a stranger is asking for an ass beating as well. In fact when I'm waiting in line I expect my personal space of 2-3 feet any closer and my adrenaline rises also I expect an apology if someone brushes up against me, if not I consider that person either ignorant or uncultured. I think we are conditioned to sense that an intrusion into our personal space can be considered a direct threat to personal safety. Rarely have I had someone violate my personal space in California and a hard stare is almost always an effective deterrent for a repeat offense.
You'd love it on the London Underground at rush hour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 11:42 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
It might be just a mindset thing. For instance, it's not a big deal to be 2 feet closer to another person or even to touch them in India or China.
If visiting China or India I would adapt even though I would find it uncomfortable however I do believe that newcomers coming to the USA or visiting need to adapt to the customs here not us to their customs.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Thought their " loudness" came from confidence myself, I've always found the Americans had the best manners that I've come across
I live in NYC for more than 17 years and I observed different kinds of the american manners.
But, you're right. In general, americans do have a great manners.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I live in NYC for more than 17 years and I observed different kinds of the american manners.
But, you're right. In general, americans do have a great manners.
I do understand that like all major cities there will be a difference in manners but in general yes glad we agree mate

Old 09-12-2015, 11:57 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,827,101 times
Quote:
You'd love it on the London Underground at rush hour
Or passing any pedestrian crossing at rush hour on Picadilly Circus.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Or passing any pedestrian crossing at rush hour on Picadilly Circus.
Or going shopping on Oxford street lol

Old 09-12-2015, 12:03 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,235,467 times
Quote:
This is because they feel themselves so relaxed and uninhibited that they don't bother to have manners.
Most of the rude shop keepers were AA.
Quote:
Thought their " loudness" came from confidence myself, I've always found the Americans had the best manners that I've come across

It's fake, if you visit or live there long enough you'll soon notice that they don't actually care when they ask where you are from or what you've done today. (It becomes clear when you start to explain what you've done and their eyes glaze over)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
If visiting China or India I would adapt even though I would find it uncomfortable however I do believe that newcomers coming to the USA or visiting need to adapt to the customs here not us to their customs.
I don't feel like the Indians adapt

Old 09-12-2015, 12:17 PM

12,998 posts, read 13,577,220 times
Quote:
That's nice of you to say. I visited England for the first time last month and found Londoners to be the politest urbanites I've ever encountered.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post

It's fake, if you visit or live there long enough you'll soon notice that they don't actually care when they ask where you are from or what you've done today. (It becomes clear when you start to explain what you've done and their eyes glaze over)

Most of the Indians where I live are either medical professionals or successful farmers most being Hindus or Sikhs they actually adapt quite well by the second generation. The Yemenis don't adapt as well they own quite a few convenience stores a lot of women find interacting with them unsettling the men tend to look down on women in general I'm speaking about business transactions.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post

Well in Florida they were " awesome " to me and my family on a 2 week holiday But yes that's as an holiday but yes i know someone that actually lived in Los Angeles for a year ( from London ) and actually said the same thing mate ( he even got me to watch real housewives of Beverly Hills to confirm )

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That's nice of you to say. I visited England for the first time last month and found Londoners to be the politest urbanites I've ever encountered.
Well in return that's very kind of you to say thank you, but we are pretty much like anyone else in the fact if ppl are polite to us we are in return and as the The American hospitality is universally known we perhaps are especially polite to yourselves maybe.... And this might proves it........

Today I've finished work at lunchtime there were no buses as of the " refugees come to Europe no to racism " march so walked through Hyde park ( right through the March lol ) and as I've finally got out I was fuming to say the least and walking along and a middle aged lady carting 2 big suitcases smiles over and asks where Paddington station is and making chit chat now she's an American and because she was so polite in asking I've helped her with her bags and took her there!

Just shows how far manners really go mate I was fuming until her politeness cheered me up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe