Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 03:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
No it's not sad, that's not how i meant it, it's just how it works. When you start over somewhere else, it just takes some effort to make new friends. You know that when you make a move, at least i did.
And you just look for some nice places to go or do stuff and meet people and you start from there.

Never really had a problem with it, and i made some really good friends during the years
Good to know. That's pretty normal. That's pretty much how it works in the US, too. Some people have more trouble making new friends than others, some cities/regions are harder to break into than others. But generally, if people make an effort, sooner or later those efforts will be rewarded.

It's good to get a more tempered, more "real", view of it from Europe, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 03:35 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good to know. That's pretty normal. That's pretty much how it works in the US, too. Some people have more trouble making new friends than others, some cities/regions are harder to break into than others. But generally, if people make an effort, sooner or later those efforts will be rewarded.

It's good to get a more tempered, more "real", view of it from Europe, thanks.
Yeah well, i'm not surpriced it works the same in the US. Friendship is a pretty universal thing i guess.
I think ther's a lot of misunderstandings about it here. Mostly in language i think, in how the word friendship is used. Once that is clear, it turns out to be pretty much the same everywhere

Old 06-02-2015, 04:18 PM

93 posts, read 75,190 times
Quote:
This is funny! I've read so much about exactly this phenomenon between Swedes and foreigners! Yeah, he was just trying to make conversation, and get to know you. How do you folks make new friends? I've read that most people there only have friends from when they were in school. It's rare to make new friends in adulthood. That's a little hard to believe. People do find partners and eventually get married, so everyone makes at least one new "friend" in adulthood, lol! Sorry, this was such a cute post.
Most people make friends through work I think. Especially in their twenties. Usually people start joking around during work and talking about stuff, then you start drinking together on the weekends, then you have friends. This is how I made friends. I'd imagine this is the same in most countries.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
Most people make friends through work I think. Especially in their twenties. Usually people start joking around during work and talking about stuff, then you start drinking together on the weekends, then you have friends. This is how I made friends. I'd imagine this is the same in most countries.
In the US, a lot of people see the workplace as just that; a place to put in your 8 hours, and go home to enjoy other aspects of life. Most people don't fit well enough with the various personalities at work to find a match; they rarely have anything in common. I think the idea of the workplace as a source of surrogate "family" or friends was mainly a TV phenomenon, and only in a certain era. Real life just isn't like that for the vast majority of people. I can't imagine why I'd want to start spending time after work with the people I'm required to spend 8 hrs./day with. It would be like prolonging the workday, but without pay. When I'm done with work, I look forward to leaving that environment, and enjoying my leisure time. And, interestingly enough, no one in the offices where I've worked went drinking after work. Several people weren't into alcohol at all.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:03 PM

93 posts, read 75,190 times
Quote:
In the US, a lot of people see the workplace as just that; a place to put in your 8 hours, and go home to enjoy other aspects of life. Most people don't fit well enough with the various personalities at work to find a match; they rarely have anything in common. I think the idea of the workplace as a source of surrogate "family" or friends was mainly a TV phenomenon, and only in a certain era. Real life just isn't like that for the vast majority of people. I can't imagine why I'd want to start spending time after work with the people I'm required to spend 8 hrs./day with. It would be like prolonging the workday, but without pay. When I'm done with work, I look forward to leaving that environment, and enjoying my leisure time. And, interestingly enough, no one in the offices where I've worked went drinking after work. Several people weren't into alcohol at all.
I guess it depends maybe your agegroup, gender etc etc. I'm a man in my twenties, most of the collegues in the places I worked at have been men in their early twenties. So its pretty natural that you start talking about sports, films or whatever... Then you usually get included in the "gang" at work. Like I said, often young men with "weekend alcoholism syndrome" hehe... So then its just routine to get drunk on a regular basis with them.

This is is just my experiences though.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:40 PM

97 posts, read 201,948 times
Americans? Obsessed with "whiteness", "blonde hair, blue eyes" and "race". Any ugly girl can become "hot" in the US, as long as she bleaches her hair white blonde and get big fake ****.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:43 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safinator View Post
Americans? Obsessed with "whiteness", "blonde hair, blue eyes" and "race". Any ugly girl can become "hot" in the US, as long as she bleaches her hair white blonde and get big fake ****.
Don't confuse this forum with reality. Aren't you talking mainly about one poster? That's not even on most Americans' radars.

Take a break from C-D. You need some fresh air.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:44 AM

504 posts, read 465,540 times
The only way to answer this thread is by generalising, so here goes. I'd say most Brits welcome US visitors, and there are always plenty in London. I'd go as far as to say a majority of Brits feel much more in common with Americans than Europeans, so feel very much at home with them. However....

They are loud in general. The US is a loud country in every respect, as any dinner in a busy American restaurant will show. It's absolutely understandable that they default to "loud", even in environments where "quiet" is more appropriate.

I will mention one experience which left me sickened. We took the tour of Auschwitz/Birkenau a couple of years ago, and as anyone who has done it knows, it is by group, by language. There was a bunch of Americans on our group who acted like it was a theme park. It was permitted to take photos anywhere, but most of the group was far too distressed and upset to even consider it. The Americans were snapping away at absolutely every opportunity, and it wound everyone else up bigtime. Most were sobbing, the Americans were flashing. This is ONE occurrence with ONE bunch of people. I'm not saying it is typical, but maybe just a little example of where they can be rather insensitive to their environment.

They do over-tip ridiculously, even in the UK where we tip more than in the rest of Europe. But then they are used to a ridiculous amount of tipping. Think of Europeans in the US - it drives us CRAZY! In return they do expect a high level of service and are pretty demanding. This has always puzzled me, as I've had some of the lousiest service ever in the US.

They are instantly recognisable - old folk with loud trouser suits and trainers (sneakers). Younger types wear jeans and shirts slightly differently, and the hair just isn't quite right.

This is all stereotypical stuff. My partner has worked in frontline heritage tourist jobs in London for years and has all nationalities pretty well summed up. He never has a problem with Americans. It's badly behaved French kids and stroppy Italians who won't queue that drive him crazy.

What I absolutely dread is a thread entitled "What is other Europeans opinions of British Tourists?". Please, please do not start one. I cannot take a weekend budget airline flight anywhere a) Eastern Europe b) Warm/cheap these days as it's unbearable.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:13 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
This is a tangent, but as an American I can say that I have a favorable view of British tourists. I recall meeting a few in San Francisco, and there was one in a tour group to Teotihuacan (near Mexico City).

Nice people.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:21 AM

162 posts, read 155,646 times
I am an Eastern European living in America. I have traveled with a large group of Americans, Canadians, and Western Europeans and what I have noticed is that Americans are way more obnoxious in America and Carribean resorts than in Europe. They try really hard to not be the stereotype of an American traveler and are exceptionally polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe