Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:04 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,378,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Let's post some positive stuff:

Europe is still the closest thing to paradise on Earth | Remi Adekoya | Comment is free | The Guardian

Europe is easily the safest continent:

An American newspaper listing stuff Europe does better:
Health care, vacation time, public transportation, life expectancy etc are all better here.
16 Ways Europeans Are Just Better At Life

Newsweek lists world's best countries:

And the list goes on...
Yes! yes! i know, you guys are so amazing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 04:13 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,843,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes! yes! i know, you guys are so amazing!!

Don't be jealous.

What European countries have is small manageable countries with shared values for the most part. The US is the complete opposite with vastly different regions, different values from region to region, and just way too large and unmanageable of a nation. A congressman in the US now represents over 600,000 people compared to say 50,000 for an MP in the UK. And don't get me started on the empty red states that get two senators to equal the two that a place like California gets. The US gives outsized representation to tiny rural states with backward thinking people. Hence a person in Idaho has far more representation than a person in NY state or CA. Ending the stupid outdated electoral college would help end this nonsense, but hell would freeze over before that.

Only solution is US needs to be paired down into smaller pieces so some of us are not goverened by ideological zealots we share nothing in common with, ie Texas.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Don't be jealous.
I'm jealous? and what am i jealous of?

Quote:
What European countries have is small manageable countries with shared values for the most part. The US is the complete opposite with vastly different regions, different values from region to region, and just way too large and unmanageable of a nation. A congressman in the US now represents over 600,000 people compared to say 50,000 for an MP in the UK. And don't get me started on the empty red states that get two senators to equal the two that a place like California gets. The US gives outsized representation to tiny rural states with backward thinking people. Hence a person in Idaho has far more representation than a person in NY state or CA. Ending the stupid outdated electoral college would help end this nonsense, but hell would freeze over before that.
Okay.. i know/agree with almost all of this.

A good chunk of the US government i am not a fan of, and the military.

Quote:
Only solution is US needs to be paired down into smaller pieces so some of us are not goverened by ideological zealots we share nothing in common with, ie Texas.
Yeah maybe that would work better.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,843,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm jealous? and what am i jealous of?

Okay.. i know/agree with almost all of this.

A good chunk of the US government i am not a fan of, and the military.

Yeah maybe that would work better.

Good to see your opinion is evolving on that as you used to kneejerk go on about how the US was all the same and we all shared the same basic culture and values.

More and more people are thinking that the US is just too large and dysfunctional now. Time will tell. Will be interesting to see the rest of the world reaction if the US were to break apart.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Good to see your opinion is evolving on that as you used to kneejerk go on about how the US was all the same and we all shared the same basic culture and values.

More and more people are thinking that the US is just too large and dysfunctional now. Time will tell. Will be interesting to see the rest of the world reaction if the US were to break apart.
Oh no sorry, don't get me wrong but i still think US culture is still pretty homogenous

Government and politically wise maybe your solution would be better.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:38 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,797,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh??? You dog would be forbidden??? and you cannot educate your kids in your preferred manners?
Anything wrong with the German school system or level of education?
BTW: you can ADDITIONALLY teach your kids whatever you think is important, you can get tutors, or enroll in specialty classes.
Not sure what you are talking about...
Saibot is talking about homeschooling

Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM

14,197 posts, read 11,436,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh??? You dog would be forbidden??? and you cannot educate your kids in your preferred manners?
Anything wrong with the German school system or level of education?
BTW: you can ADDITIONALLY teach your kids whatever you think is important, you can get tutors, or enroll in specialty classes.
Germans LOVE dogs!!
Not sure what you are talking about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Saibot is talking about homeschooling
Correct. And my dog was a pit bull...you know, one of those evil, child-eating, banned dogs.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,591,183 times
My wife can get UK citizenship, so living in Europe is a definite possibility for me down the road. Certainly something we're looking into. In fact she's over there right now scoping things out for us

Old 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM

34 posts, read 119,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
My wife can get UK citizenship, so living in Europe is a definite possibility for me down the road. Certainly something we're looking into. In fact she's over there right now scoping things out for us
um unless I would be earning over 70k a year, I would take the USA or Canada over the UK anytime.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:47 PM

275 posts, read 329,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Seriously, you don't want to emigrate here. You guys might improve your own way of life by adopting the European one, and this way you may help us to keep our continent less crowded.
Don't worry, I have no plans to move to Europe. Although I suspect that if the tables were turned and I had said what you said, I might be seen as xenophobic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe