Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:38 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I found Prague to be too touristy and not really that interesting outside the Old Town. It's totally fine, but I would be OK not seeing it again. Cities like Paris, or Rome, or Florence, I could visit every year for the rest of my life.
I agree.

Prague is like Las Vegas. Everyone should go to see it once but only need to see it once. Venice is similar in the sense that there is no "local life". Almost 100% of the pretty part is touristy. The not so pretty part is just another town.

On the other hand you can visit Paris 20 times and still find something new and refreshing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 08:47 PM

296 posts, read 260,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I agree.

Prague is like Las Vegas. Everyone should go to see it once but only need to see it once. Venice is similar in the sense that there is no "local life". Almost 100% of the pretty part is touristy. The not so pretty part is just another town.

On the other hand you can visit Paris 20 times and still find something new and refreshing.
Wish I could dissagree, when ever I give advice to youngsters heading off to the "triangle", I allways say, never spend more than 3 days in Prague, 1st day walk around & take some photo's. 2nd day get drunk, 3rd day sleep off hangover & leave for Budapest or Vienna

Old 07-09-2015, 06:10 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I only drew cash from ATMs with no fees, so I was safe at that point.

Frankly, wasn't a huge fan of Prague during my first visit since it seemed to be incredibly touristy. Now I know some trustworthy people from my exchange semester, visited a couple of times since then and the city actually grew on me. Very much like budapest.

Munich, as another example, is pretty much the same every time I visit.
It's not the Atm that sets the fee it's your bank. My bank gives me currency for free but if I goto a foreign country I have to pay 3%.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:08 AM

60 posts, read 58,117 times
I'm going to Prague for the first time in a week. I've taken note of the Karlovy night club and Savoy cafe, but are there other places that is considered a must?

Old 07-10-2015, 05:38 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I'm in Prague for the second time right now. It definitely isn't as amazing as the first time (what place is?) but I still love it and it's one of my favorite cities ever. I was never scammed anywhere like the OP, but it does happen. Prague is a little more touristy than I like, but it's alright. I came here last September, and wow big difference between the crowds then and now. I'm here right in the summer rush. Prague is also getting more expensive and I can see it only getting more pricey, but it's still a bargain.

I think a major part of it is the people you are with. If you're the partying type like I am, then you had some amazing memories your first time here. Sometimes you just can't recreate those the second time and it makes the place seem more special than it actually is.

But this still might be my favorite city in the world, and I'm well-traveled. As the OP said, the architecture and the history never gets old. It is truly magical. On the other hand, when I was in this area of Europe last year...I spent more time in Budapest than I did in Prague, and I regretted that. Budapest is a great city and almost as beautiful as Prague is, but there's so much more to do in Prague even though it's smaller. So I'm definitely interested to see what I think of Budapest when a second visit comes.

Interesting thread here!

Old 07-10-2015, 07:06 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnEurope View Post
I'm going to Prague for the first time in a week. I've taken note of the Karlovy night club and Savoy cafe, but are there other places that is considered a must?
What kind of things are you looking for? Nightlife recommendations or just things in general?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Essential travel advice on Prague includes those top of the World destination landmarks resembling a travel image star atmosphere. Karlovy Lazne is a massive nightclub made on 5 Floors, ultimate maze of entertaining variety inside. Weekends are busier. Karlovy Lazne is situated on Smetanovo nábřeží 198/1 next to Krizovnicka Karlova Anenska of Stare Mesto neighborhood. Cafe Savoy is multilevel and tons of massive golden shining chandeliers inside a Cafe Bar Restaurant of everyone's dreams. They even have wifi and across the bridge Vítězná 124/5 between Zborvska & Janackovo Nabr of Mala Strana. Google GPS map says "Cafe Savoy is a Smart Neo-Renaissance European Cafe"

They are one of the main reasons why I fell in love with Prague, other than the Baroque, Nouveau everywhere, all of the Independent stores, relaxed city vibe, and the middle of Europe geography area.

Staroměstské Náměstí Old Town Square, Ujezd Street of Mala Strana at night time hours, and Prague Castle Complex are other must visit areas of Prague Czech Republic.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I liked it every time I have been there. Just ignore the gawdy tourists and go off and do things. Going at the right time of year helps, avoiding the peak tourist season.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:28 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Frankly, Karlovy Lázne is overrated. Full of drunk tourists, pretty ****ty music. Size doesn't matter

Neone is a pretty awesome club, if you really are into electronic music. I also enjoyed Bajkazyl, which is right at the river. Pretty cool bar.

For food: The area around Dlouha (a street in the centre) is pretty nice. Naše Maso is a nice butcher shop (good snacks, well worth a try), Lokál is a great restaurant with Czech comfort food, La Degustation is the Czech Republics best restaurant and Field is probably as good with a more local touch.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:57 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Frankly, Karlovy Lázne is overrated. Full of drunk tourists, pretty ****ty music. Size doesn't matter

Neone is a pretty awesome club, if you really are into electronic music. I also enjoyed Bajkazyl, which is right at the river. Pretty cool bar.

For food: The area around Dlouha (a street in the centre) is pretty nice. Naše Maso is a nice butcher shop (good snacks, well worth a try), Lokál is a great restaurant with Czech comfort food, La Degustation is the Czech Republics best restaurant and Field is probably as good with a more local touch.
When have you visited Karlovy Lazne World Class nightclub of Prague? Strategic timing is key. Ultra massive space and timing of the year matter. Summer months is optimal, and Karlovy Lazne is the biggest nightclub around all of Central Europe/Eastern Europe.

I visited Karlovy Lazne July 2014 on a weekday all night 7pm-12 Midnight and everything was fine. Nobody at all was too drunk, and they played lots of invigorating songs on each floor, including Electronic Trance, Disco Retro 1970s, and Top 40.

Best travel advice EnEurope is visit all of those nightclubs (1. Karlovy Lazne, 2. Neone, and Bajkazyl). Let us know how they are after visiting, including the overall Prague experience.

According with food cuisine, Noi Thai restaurant on Ujezd Street of Mala Strana has some of the best Thai cuisine I ever had right in Czech Republic! Noi Thai night time hours resembles a Golden Thai Palace luxurious bar inside. And all of the workers there speak Czech before they ever spoke English. Asian cuisine restaurants around Europe is equal to the Asian food offered around Asia, North America, and Oceania these days of modern times right now.

Prague is my favorite city of Europe in the past 1 year, and tons to offer on everyone's dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe