Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:31 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,620,160 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 years old and I've visited Ireland (visited a friend doing erasmus in Galway), Spain(more than 40 times probably), France (4 times), Switzerland, Italy and Germany (1 time each, same trip).
I've also been to Morcco, and that's it.

I also think most Portuguese (90% plus), have never visited any european country north or east of Germany.
That percentage will increase a bit in the coming years, since nowadays many college students go to Poland and Czech Republic for a semester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 03:47 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Huh. I think my first couple of trips abroad were to Italy (beach vacations in the northern half and some skiing in South Tyrol), France (skiing) and Croatia (again, the coast). That took place when I was really young.

In high school we did some school trips to England, Scotland, Ireland, Spain (a week or two each) and Munich (several day trips). My parents took me to Paris, Budapest and a couple of other cities in addition to that.

I also had the chance to do three interrail tours with my friends before I turned 19, which - in retrospective - were eye-opening. After those, it's probably easier to list the countries I haven't been to A study abroad program in Finland followed.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,703 times
Just the way I thought, europeans have probably more cultural experience than any other people collectively.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:32 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,258,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Yeah. I'm surprised by how the citizens from such little country are everywhere travelling around all the time.

Well, here in Spain most of our visitors are from UK, France, Germany and Italy, but as I said before, people from Belgium and The Netherlands are travelling a lot to Spain nowadays, and not only to the Mediterranean coast, but to our beautiful inland cities, to the countryside and to the northern coast as well.

In fact, everytime I went out for drive around my town and the surrounding areas, I just have seen at least one or two vehicles with either Belgian or Dutch plates over there.
Traveling is an important part of our culture. Dutch people vacation 36 milion times a year (central bureau of statistics) this includes vacations in our own country though. The most important destinations are France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Turkey. France is at Nr1 for years.
It's an important part of conversation during the season as everybody talks about where one's going and afterwards where everybody's been to. You could say it's also a bit of a "status" thing, as the travels you make show how well you are doing.
And it's a big part of our education, and upbringing. As in school we learn three foreign languages and during classes you learn a lot about the countries itself and talk about where your parents took you this year.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:39 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Traveling is an important part of our culture. Dutch people vacation 36 milion times a year (central bureau of statistics) this includes vacations in our own country though. The most important destinations are France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Turkey. France is at Nr1 for years.
It's an important part of conversation during the season as everybody talks about where one's going and afterwards where everybody's been to. You could say it's also a bit of a "status" thing, as the travels you make show how well you are doing.
And it's a big part of our education, and upbringing. As in school we learn three foreign languages and during classes you learn a lot about the countries itself and talk about where your parents took you this year.
That's nice. I wish it was the same here.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:42 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,258,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
That's nice. I wish it was the same here.
It is. But there's also a bit of a down side to it as there can be a bit of a group pressure. Like if you stay home during vacation time, people can look at you a bit awkward as they think you might have financial problems or something like that. But that's just some circles.
There's this joke for when someone stays home, he'll say he goes to Ründ Hausen, meaning "around the house". I went there a lot too

Old 06-07-2015, 03:45 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,177 times
Quote:
It is. But there's also a bit of a down side to it as there can be a bit of a group pressure. Like if you stay home during vacation time, people can look at you a bit awkward as they think you might have financial problems or something like that. But that's just some circles.
There's this joke for when someone stays home, he'll say he goes to Ründ Hausen, meaning "around the house". I went there a lot too
Funny

Old 06-16-2015, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,302 times
Quote:
Traveling is an important part of our culture. Dutch people vacation 36 milion times a year (central bureau of statistics) this includes vacations in our own country though.
It looks true!! I was heading back home to Italy from Austria last summer,and as soon as I crossed the border I found myself surrounded by cars with a Dutch licence plate,there were hundreds! I swear there were more Dutch than Italians and Germans despite the Netherlands being 1k km away. I think they travel many more km than the average european. Maybe it's the "colonial mentality"

Old 06-17-2015, 03:25 AM

56 posts, read 75,130 times
I'm Spanish and personally do know France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Germany, where I'm living since 2001. I still have pendant to visit Denmark and the Netherlands at least, then those lands are near my present city.

As far as I know the highest number of tourists in my native country, Spain, are the British, the German and the French.

Where I live now, in northern Germany, we usually do have the most tourists coming from inside Germany, but also from Denmark, Switzerland and Great Britain.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:39 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
I think it just has to do with economics. Northerners maybe travelling more for fun. Southerners may be travelling more for work.
I will have lived in Denmark for 20 years, come December 2015. Danish people travel south to get away from the danish climate and weather. Most summers are called "Green Winters". June, this year, has been a good example.

Where do my danish wife and I go on vacation? US, Spain and Portugal, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Slovenia, S. France, Switzerland (on the border with Italy). We take short trips, year-round, to Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Wales, Scotland, and England. We have also spent a lot of time in the Western Cape of South Africa.

I would say we are typical for Denmark, except for our annual trips to the US, where I spent the first 52 years of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe