Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:04 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Ouch that's so expensive.

I hear that French unis are really cheap even for non-Europeans, though.
Well, it depends. Non-autonomous universities are pretty cheap.

A friend of mine is currently studying at HEC, though, and has to pay €26.000 as a student from the EU (2 years). A student without citizenship from a EU member state has to pay €36.000.

Still, €13.000/18.000 a year for a postgrad degree isn't too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 10:44 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, it depends. Non-autonomous universities are pretty cheap.

A friend of mine is currently studying at HEC, though, and has to pay €26.000 as a student from the EU (2 years). A student without citizenship from a EU member state has to pay €36.000.

Still, €13.000/18.000 a year for a postgrad degree isn't too bad.
I keep hearing stuff like it only costs 500 Euros per year to study postgrad in France and Germany lol.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:19 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Not anymore. It is only free for EU and EEA citizens.
Yes, this is the way things are going, all over Europe.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:12 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
The news report I saw about this stated that it was the desire of the university's president (?) to eventually have the programs offered in English. Whatever the case, many Germans are quite fluent in English. While I was attending university there I requested to submit some of my assignments in English and it was not a problem. Also, university students do (I believe) have to pay a fee to enroll each semester and after 13 semesters (iirc) the fee increases somewhat. A free university system is something that Germany probably won't be able to maintain - in recent years Germany started to tax seniors' pensions thanks to countries like Greece and in general having to keep the European economy in order. University students paying tuition (which 99% will easily be able to afford) shouldn't be far off now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
US students can get free university degrees in Sweden, too. Your article didn't say anything about the potential language barrier, though.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:20 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Also, university students do (I believe) have to pay a fee to enroll each semester and after 13 semesters (iirc) the fee increases somewhat. A free university system is something that Germany probably won't be able to maintain - in recent years Germany started to tax seniors' pensions thanks to countries like Greece and in general having to keep the European economy in order.
Germany abolished all tuition fees for programs at public universities a couple of months ago. They might charge you each semester for a student union membership or public transportation, though.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Yes, that is true. It is not only the US but also Australia and the UK. That is the reason why Norwegian students are so popular. I think American and British students should pay for their education in Norway.
Americans and British are just as human as Norwegians so that is probably why Norway pays for everyone's education, they understand a human is a human.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:05 PM

172 posts, read 177,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I keep hearing stuff like it only costs 500 Euros per year to study postgrad in France and Germany lol.

Yes, in Germany you pay a "Semesterbeitrag". Example from Düsseldorf: At the moment €249.66 per half year. Composition of this amount:

Student self-administration: €14.50
Student union: €79.00 (its mainly for subsidizing the canteen food and the dorms)
Free public transportation within the Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region: €110.16
Free public transportation within the state of Nordrhein-Westfalen: €46.00

http://www.rsh-duesseldorf.de/filead...S_14-15_02.pdf

You get great services for your "Semesterbeitrag". It's a really good deal because of the free public transportation.

Many students just enroll at the university to get the benefit of free public transportation. But they never attend the university. One can save a lot of money by doing so.

Last edited by FlorianD; 07-03-2015 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe