Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:29 AM

129 posts, read 231,073 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how much inches of precipitation does Den-Haag get a year and how many days is it on average? How much sunny/clear days is there on average? I know the Netherlands has a lot of humidity, so I was wondering if anyone knows what level of humidity it could be compared to in the U.S. like Florida, the Carolina's, Texas, ect. Lastly, I was wondering if anyone knows the average temperature for winter and summer. Thank you I'm asking since I'm curious if Den-Haag has similar weather to Portland, or if Portland has a slightly better climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbolt View Post
1.I was wondering how much inches of precipitation does Den-Haag get a year and how many days is it on average?

2.How much sunny/clear days is there on average?

3.I know the Netherlands has a lot of humidity, so I was wondering if anyone knows what level of humidity it could be compared to in the U.S. like Florida, the Carolina's, Texas, ect.

4.Lastly, I was wondering if anyone knows the average temperature for winter and summer. Thank you I'm asking since I'm curious if Den-Haag has similar weather to Portland, or if Portland has a slightly better climate.
1.841 mm (132 days)

2.1726 hours per year

3.Average relative humidity % is 82.5

4.Winter: 4 degrees celsius, Summer: 17 degrees celsius

Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
1.841 mm (132 days)

2.1726 hours per year

3.Average relative humidity % is 82.5

4.Winter: 4 degrees celsius, Summer: 17 degrees celsius
Wow that is awesome!! Thank you so much ! 1726 hours of sun/clear weather is only about 72 days for the whole year? If that's true, it's extremely low! But then again, I wouldn't be surprised since we don't get many nice days here ha ha.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
1726 hours of sun/clear weather is only about 72 days for the whole year? If that's true, it's extremely low!
You must take into account the classification of *sunny/clear*.

Yes, very low amount for clear skies, meaning no clouds visible.
Most of the time it still is very pleasant when there are clouds.

In the Dutch language they call it:

Overdrijvende wolkenvelden

Kind of difficult to describe/translate into English.
Maybe something like
Fields of clouds, coming from somewhere, going somewhere else ...
Because they keep moving !

On the other hand, many days with no sun visible for days ...

Compared to life where you referenced some USA States,
you do NOT need a sprinkler system anywhere !

Due to the location of the Netherlands relative to the Gulf Stream going North,
the climate is very mild compared to other countries at the same latitude.

With an *average* temp of 17 C (claimed above),
there can be really hot days (close to 30) and then it also gets muggy, again due to the fact that Den Haag is a coastal area !

You can also look here: (input - average climate conditions for Den Haag, Holland)
Weather and Climate: The Hague, Netherlands, average monthly , Rainfall (millimeter), Sunshine, Temperatures (celsius), Sunshine, Humidity, Wind Speed

Old 07-02-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
You must take into account the classification of *sunny/clear*.

Yes, very low amount for clear skies, meaning no clouds visible.
Most of the time it still is very pleasant when there are clouds.

In the Dutch language they call it:

Overdrijvende wolkenvelden

Kind of difficult to describe/translate into English.
Maybe something like
Fields of clouds, coming from somewhere, going somewhere else ...
Because they keep moving !

On the other hand, many days with no sun visible for days ...

Compared to life where you referenced some USA States,
you do NOT need a sprinkler system anywhere !

Due to the location of the Netherlands relative to the Gulf Stream going North,
the climate is very mild compared to other countries at the same latitude.

there can be really hot days (close to 30) and then it also gets muggy, again due to the fact that Den Haag is a coastal area !

You can also look here: (input - average climate conditions for Den Haag, Holland)
Weather and Climate: The Hague, Netherlands, average monthly , Rainfall (millimeter), Sunshine, Temperatures (celsius), Sunshine, Humidity, Wind Speed
Wow thank you for the information and link! I never heard of the term Overdrijvende wolkenvelden, but it's great to learn a new phrase. I've been here in holland for 2 years and I absolutely love it here! The only drawback for me is the weather. It's pretty cold for me year round and not very much sun. It's funny that you mentioned the climate is mild since being from California, I feel like I'm freezing year round except for summer and unfortunately summer is only 2-3 months here. Even spring is still chilly for me and I need a huge jacket. The winter, especially December/January totally kill me. I thought after being here for 2 years, I would be able to adapt at least a little to the weather, but I haven't at all. I'm not sure if the average temperature is 17 C year round. I would say at least around 12 C since it always seems like it's around that weather, but colder in the winter and a bit warmer in the summer ha ha. The funny thing is, anything below 10 C is super cold to me. It is funny that anything past 25 C here is considered a heat wave and too warm for many people. For me it is absolute paradise and it's perfect weather for me So you can imagine how excited I am that this week is a "heat wave", especially since I've been freezing for so long. I mean even May and all of June were pretty cold and not very warm. But I mean I guess a lot of it has to due to what type of climate you were born into. So I am a bit conflicted at the moment. I'm considering relocating some where warmer in the U.S. or staying here. It's difficult because I love the Netherlands and really don't want to move. My husband especially would love to stay, but the weather is making it pretty rough for me to be happy here.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:09 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,503 times
worry about the winter later. for now go to scheveningen and enjoy the weather

Old 07-02-2015, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
worry about the winter later. for now go to scheveningen and enjoy the weather
Believe me, I absolutely am enjoying the weather!!! But like I said, I've been here for 2 years and have been having a rough time when the whole year is cold besides 2-3 months :P

Old 07-02-2015, 02:55 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Wow that is awesome!! Thank you so much ! 1726 hours of sun/clear weather is only about 72 days for the whole year? If that's true, it's extremely low! But then again, I wouldn't be surprised since we don't get many nice days here ha ha.
Well, considering that the sun usually don't shine during the night, you can double the amount to 144. Wall-to-wall sunshine is quite unusual anyway, so you can spread the 144 into many other days as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Yes, the summer average temp is probably 17C. Average temp: the day's high temp + the day's low temp / 2. So a day with a 23C high and 11C low has an average temp of 17C. Just for clarification.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the average temperature is 17 C year round.
It's not. The annual average temp seems to be 10.2C.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, considering that the sun usually don't shine during the night, you can double the amount to 144. Wall-to-wall sunshine is quite unusual anyway, so you can spread the 144 into many other days as well.

Yes, the summer average temp is probably 17C. Average temp: the day's high temp + the day's low temp / 2. So a day with a 23C high and 11C low has an average temp of 17C. Just for clarification.

It's not. The annual average temp seems to be 10.2C.
Thanks for the clarification That's true, 144 days is not too bad, about the same as Portland. I do agree that the average summer temp is about 17C. That makes sense the annual average temp is about 10.2 C. I always thought it was around that temperature.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:59 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification That's true, 144 days is not too bad, about the same as Portland. I do agree that the average summer temp is about 17C. That makes sense the annual average temp is about 10.2 C. I always thought it was around that temperature.
Another fact worth taking into consideration is that in most of Northern and Central Europe sunshine is heavily focused during March-October. So when you are in January and the clouds have dominated the skies for months, it might feel that the sun never shines. In summer when there's a lot of sunshine and the daylight hours are long, you might take some of the sunshine for granted.

For example up here the sky has been clear since sunrise, and we'll probably won't see a single cloud until sunset. My city will probably clock like 18.5 hours of sunshine this one day, partly due to the long daylight, but many locations aren't even able to record that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe