Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 01:54 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,173,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Very serious, what is shoking about that ??
Poitiers on the line that divide Italy to central Europe, it is at the same latitude as Bolzano. If Bolzano is the transition between central Europe and southern Europe, then so is Poitiers.

Hum...

poitiers is also on the dividing line of the northern half of France (centralish position) and the southern half of France, which is lined with Italy.
Poitiers is also to gate of the greater south-west of France (the historical region of Aquitaine went even a bit further north, to the Loire Valley). South of poitiers you enter into the roman tiles areas, tipically southern European. The same goes from starting from Macon.

I live in Cognac, so you know, I know what it look like but well, I don't think we are going to agree on this.
At least you agree with Honfleur or Compiègne not being in southern Europe, right ? Because if you don't agree, I really have to rethink my geography....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 02:02 AM

2,860 posts, read 5,232,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Poitiers ? No way.... Dijon or Auxerre while you're at it...

On the west part of France, i'd say Cahors /Agen, Bordeaux if i'm generous. On the east, somewhere between Valence and Montélimar, where the mediterranean climate / vegetation begins.
The mediterranean climate is a very restritive way to define southern Europe. Many areas in southern Europe do not have mediterranean climates, but oceanic, montainous, semi continental, subtropical humid...

Old 07-25-2015, 02:02 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,235,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
You aren't going to tell me that Honfleur or Lille or Compiègne, is in southern Europe right ? Please tell me you're not going to say that
It's not in Northern Europe anyway.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
It's not in Northern Europe anyway.
That's not what I said, is it ?

Old 07-25-2015, 02:11 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,235,826 times
Yes but no part of France is in Northern Europe.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:12 AM

2,860 posts, read 5,232,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
At least you agree with Honfleur or Compiègne not being in southern Europe, right ? Because if you don't agree, I really have to rethink my geography....
I'm sorry, but cognac is in southern Europe. It is at the same latitude as the adriatic sea (which is part of the mediterranean), Cognac is lined with Venice or Milan, those Cities are in southern Europe, even if their climate is not classified as mediterranean...

Honfleur or Compiegne are, like the northern half of France, in quite a centralish position north-south wise. Northern Europe begins really with Nord-pas de Calais and Belgium.

France has the specificity to have one half in a central position in contact with central European countries at -east (southern Germany) or northern European countries to the north (England, Low countries) and another half in a southern position in contact with Italy at the east and Spain at south...

Old 07-25-2015, 02:12 AM

Yes but no part of France is in Northern Europe.

You like to repeat that a lot right ?

Old 07-25-2015, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I'm sorry, but cognac is in southern Europe. It is at the same latitude as the adriatic sea (which is part of the mediterranean), Cognac is lined with Venice or Milan, those Cities are in southern Europe, even if their climate is not classified as mediterranean...

Honfleur or Compiegne are, like the northern half of France, in quite a centralish position north-south wise. Northern Europe begins really with Nord-pas de Calais and Belgium.

France has the specificity to have one half in a central position in contact with central European countries at -east (southern Germany) or northern European countries to the north (England, Low countries) and another half in a southern position in contact with Italy at the east and Spain at south...
I didn't meant to say that Cognac wasn't in southern Europe, I just meant that I know the region well, sorry. Okay, so yeah it's in southern Europe if you want, whatever BTW.

And I don't agree with your definition at all but bref.

Somehow you seem to think that "Germanic" means northern or something like that, I've seen your posts, I know what you think about it and I don't feel the same at all, so It's gonna be complicated.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 07-25-2015 at 02:25 AM..

Old 07-25-2015, 04:42 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,224,076 times
I was raised in Lyon and by no means it is a southern city..... Neither culturally, nor climatically.

It is not a northern city either but i'd rather say central Europe. In common with switzerland, northern Italy and southern Germany. This is where i feel the most at home, outside of home, within Europe.

The map shown above is ridiculous. So Nantes would be southern as well ? Come on....

And Lille /Calais are more similar to southern Uk orBelgium than they do with the south of France.... If Lille is southern Europe, then London should be included as well.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:46 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,646,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
It is not a northern city either but i'd rather say central Europe. In common with switzerland, northern Italy and southern Germany. This is where i feel the most at home, outside of home, within Europe.
You're not allowed to say "central". There's only North and South, black and white. And then we argue for 100 pages more where that mythical dividing line goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe