Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:47 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Outside these Orange lines is the North and South for sure.
Nonsense! Your mysterious line cut through Ukraine, but then does go not through Poland, Germany, Low Countries, most of the British Isles? Are you O.K.?

Last edited by saxonwold; 07-25-2015 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I was raised in Lyon and by no means it is a southern city..... Neither culturally, nor climatically.

It is not a northern city either but i'd rather say central Europe. In common with switzerland, northern Italy and southern Germany. This is where i feel the most at home, outside of home, within Europe.

The map shown above is ridiculous. So Nantes would be southern as well ? Come on....

And Lille /Calais are more similar to southern Uk orBelgium than they do with the south of France.... If Lille is southern Europe, then London should be included as well.
Well, Lille in France can be considered as Northern Europe, since it is located at 50 degrees 37 North latitude, slightly more south than Brussels, Belgium. It's not on the same latitude as London though.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:00 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
I know you do. You are from France, but did you know that Poitiers is already in southern France? At least from what you wrote, it didn't seem like it. If you live south of Poitiers, you are in Southern Europe without a doubt.
Maybe it's just because I'm not born in the south that I think that I'm not in it now, even if technically I am. People really say that I live in the southwest, so I repeat that too - even if I don't agree with it. It's just my feeling you know ? Geographically I am, but not culturally or something, that's why I don't really see the point of it all. Some people are basing their answers by geography and other by culture. Does that make any sense at all ? Or maybe i'm just insane and because I really wish I'll come back where I'm born that I think like that.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:21 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
It's not a mediterranean culture though.

I have the impressions that Napolitans or Pugliese have a harder time fitting in the Bologna life than i do, and yet I'm a foreigner.
Well it's not Northern Europe.

I don't understand people who try and put France and Ukraine into Northern Europe! What are you doing?

Old 07-25-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Well it's not Northern Europe.

I don't understand people who try and put France and Ukraine into Northern Europe! What are you doing?
What people ? You know, it's not just north and south, there is a middle too.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Maybe it's just because I'm not born in the south that I think that I'm not in it now, even if technically I am. People really say that I live in the southwest, so I repeat that too - even if I don't agree with it. It's just my feeling you know ? Geographically I am, but not culturally or something, that's why I don't really see the point of it all. Some people are basing their answers by geography and other by culture. Does that make any sense at all ? Or maybe i'm just insane and because I really wish I'll come back where I'm born that I think like that.
Well you're right. Culturally you might not be in Southern Europe.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:44 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Well you're right. Culturally you might not be in Southern Europe.
The region of Cognac is culturally southern European, even if the climate is not mediterranean.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
The region of Cognac is culturally southern European, even if the climate is not mediterranean.
Can you please let me feel what I want ?

Old 07-26-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Oh yes. If it is the wine regions of France, then you're in Southern Europe or approaching the Mediterranean. I have briefly lived in Douai, Lille and Rouen as well. My parents and I visited Perpignan in the south, I thought it really beautiful. France overall is a beautiful country, particularly the countryside of the south. Well that was at least a good twenty years ago.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Can you please let me feel what I want ?
You can fell what you want. I'm not talking about what you feel. I'm not talking about you identity, or the one you feel to be, I speak about the geography and the cultural belonging of the region where you like. If you are born and raised in Reims it could be logical that you might doesn't feel much connexion to the south of France, but thT is not what we are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe