Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:48 AM

11 posts, read 10,795 times

Advertisements

It's a duel in which the bull has an opportunity, and I've seen bullfighters gored. Tourists love bullfights, many plazas would have been closed without them. Running the bulls and "encierros" are fun and risky too, but people love them. Now, that a women from Australia uncovers her pits to show that she doesn't like bullfights, I find it funny and I love it, part of the festivity. The day that bullfights are forbidden by foreign intromission, there will be no country anymore...just another butter and marmelade country.

Those animal lovers should go to a chicken farm, they will find about animal cruelty.

I forgot to mention that some bulls become famous and some are indulted, one of the bravest bull was "Ratón". Ratón gored to death three men in several encierros, so the bull became famous. He was sacrificed because of the pressure of animal lovers, and that was stupid because the bull was not guilty of anything and nobody forces people to attend "encierros".

Last edited by CarpoolerAz; 07-14-2015 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 04:59 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Some people of Spain have a different take on their tradition of bullfighting. They feel that the bulls are well taken care of, are treated like kings for all their lives. In the ring, it is a duel and the results can go either way. I may not like bullfighting (I don't approve of hurting any creature), but it is not my country.

As for the Running of the Bulls, I went years ago as I wrote in an earlier post. I have been watching the Running of the Bulls all week on tv (last day was yesterday). What I saw was that the bulls are released and are free to run. They looked like they were enjoying it. Oh, to run free!

The runners run alongside or in front and are unfortunately in the way. They get trampled by bulls but mostly by other runners. Sometimes there are gorings. The gorings I saw were due to the runner being in the way. The bulls' horns are very long. It was funny this year when one bull ran a bit at the beginning upon release before reaching the throng of runners, and then, seeing the hoard before him decided "NO". He returned to the paddock. LOL. I think his name must be Ferdinand: "And for all I know he is sitting there still, under his favorite cork tree, sitting just quietly smelling the flowers. He is very happy."* I loved seeing the bulls running freely. They have steers who know the route leading the way and they all run to the Plaza de toros. Done. I'm sure the bulls must think the humans are a nuisance and that can't be the best feeling, but I saw no malicious intent on the part of bulls in those encounters. The rolled up papers or sticks were used to lightly guide the bulls if they broke from the herd. Most runners petted the bulls and I saw no reaction from the bulls.

I enjoyed seeing the event. I don't think it is my place to tell another country what events they should or should not have, but I can appreciate their culture. I can either participate or not. I save the protests for things that happen in my own country where I might have some recourse.

*If you never read Ferdinand the Bull (by Munro Leaf) as a child, you should read it now. It is a classic of children's literature, award-winning book and a lovely, ironic tale of peace and contentment. It remains one of my favorites and I keep a copy in my library. Here is a link to a pdf transcript of the tale with illustrations which are precious (note: it is a bilingual copy:

ArvindGuptaToys Books Galleryferdinand-urdu.pdf

Old 07-14-2015, 08:19 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
I wish the Spanish or Mexicans had left a tradition like this in Texas.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:17 AM

12 posts, read 12,610 times
I believe there's a San Fermin somewhere in Nevada or New Mexico. All the cowboy tradition is Spanish, rodeo, etc.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:20 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hepaticW View Post
I believe there's a San Fermin somewhere in Nevada or New Mexico. All the cowboy tradition is Spanish, rodeo, etc.
Cowboy and "rodeo" it's not a Spaniard thing, but mainly Mexican. Same with cockfights.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:41 AM

595 posts, read 719,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Cowboy and "rodeo" it's not a Spaniard thing, but mainly Mexican. Same with cockfights.

And from who did you think the Mexicans got the cowboys and "rodeo"?

Old 07-18-2015, 08:28 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post

And from who did you think the Mexicans got the cowboys and "rodeo"?
Those Spaniards who discovered America never did such thing, but they were expert to tame and ride horses, and then "rodeo" was inveted by the Indian American tribes, mainly those who live in Mexico.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:16 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:
Those Spaniards who discovered America never did such thing, but they were expert to tame and ride horses, and then "rodeo" was inveted by the Indian American tribes, mainly those who live in Mexico.
Yes, but the way cowboys handle and ride their horses and how they herd cattle on horseback comes from the Spanish. I'm sure you're familiar with Doma Vaquera? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doma_vaquera

Old 07-20-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Yes, but the way cowboys handle and ride their horses and how they herd cattle on horseback comes from the Spanish. I'm sure you're familiar with Doma Vaquera? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doma_vaquera
I know that, but at the same time I dislike it. In fact, I've never been to a bullring, so I don't want to waste my money to see such things.
More than 80% of Spaniards dislike running of the bulls, bullfights and kind of cruel things like that so much.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,029,743 times
Quote:
I know that, but at the same time I dislike it. In fact, I've never been to a bullring, so I don't want to waste my money to see such things.
More than 80% of Spaniards dislike running of the bulls, bullfights and kind of cruel things like that so much.
That's true, my husband is a Spaniard from La Comunitat Valenciana (Valencian Community) & his family sees is at as a form of abuse & cruelty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe