Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 04:21 PM

990 posts, read 1,935,387 times

Advertisements

On my visit to Liepaja, Latvia next week I have planned to also take a look at the largely abandoned (but still partially populated) Soviet military town Karosta located north of Liepaja. Is it safe to have a walk through this area and take some pictures, or are there high risks of getting mugged as a western tourist? Are you advised to be cautious?

The only thing Wikitravel says is that it used to be a dangerous place in the 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 04:33 PM

26,721 posts, read 22,298,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
On my visit to Liepaja, Latvia next week I have planned to also take a look at the largely abandoned (but still partially populated) Soviet military town Karosta located north of Liepaja. Is it safe to have a walk through this area and take some pictures, or are there high risks of getting mugged as a western tourist? Are you advised to be cautious?

The only thing Wikitravel says is that it used to be a dangerous place in the 90's.
Magnus...
Every place of former SU was dangerous in the 90's)))

Old 07-12-2015, 04:53 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karosta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42g2-kQTlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVN4nXzy6RY

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 07-12-2015 at 05:03 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 05:16 PM

26,721 posts, read 22,298,665 times
Wow Magnus, the history of this particular military city goes much-much further back than Soviet Union - it looks like it was quite important forepost of the Russian Empire created as the result of a stand-off between Russia and Germany. At least that's what ( among other things) I've learned from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XO5Ix6LAKM#t=361

( it explains all those historic-looking buildings that I've noticed earlier at the background as well.)

Old 07-12-2015, 05:20 PM

Yes. This is part of the reason why I want to have a look at this place, the fortress seems really impressive.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:21 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,653,435 times
Seems like a very interesting place to visit.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:13 PM

Karosta Prison museum (used as a prison by the Russian Empire, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union), where people can spend a night as a prisoner and be treated as one

http://karostascietums.lv/en/excursi...arosta-prison/

Old 07-13-2015, 09:58 AM

2,887 posts, read 5,111,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post

I walked and drove around Karosta for an hour or so last year. The place seemed almost empty -- many buildings but few people. I wouldn't say I felt unsafe like I did in some neighborhoods in the US, but I felt a bit uneasy. I didn't visit the prison. The cathedral is very pretty and a big contrast with the rundown apartment buildings around it.

I also visited the Holocaust memorial at Skede Beach, maybe 2-3kms to the north. Small hard-to-find place but very touching.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:57 PM

3,237 posts, read 2,369,502 times
I have been to that part of Liepaja and did not indicate any danger there. However, i am not a "western" person but an ex-soviet myself but i think it is hardly important in this context. Well, i remember that at first glance the huge brown orthodox cathedral looked a bit, i would say, ghostly as i really did expect to see such things in that specific enviroment of soviet army styled dwellings-that was my emotion, i remember.
Yes, I can only agree Liepaja is interesting to visit as it looks imo indeed something like an `Baltic sea provinicial town of Russian empire` might look`- thanks to the fact that old part of the city is pretty big and well preserved if i remember correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe