Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 04:01 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,308,393 times

Advertisements

Most people here have some ancestors from other former Austro-Hungarian territories. That said, people aren't really obsessed with genealogy, so it's not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 05:08 AM

232 posts, read 365,403 times
Well I don't know of any foreigners in my family tree but I imagine that there must be some, nobody is 100% pure blood.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:24 AM

9,297 posts, read 14,192,734 times
Southern Italian for many generations, mainly relatively remote interior regions. Personally relatively light hair and light skinned, and hazel eyes, but other family members olive-oil skin and brown eyes, most stocky/thick built.

Going back, who knows, but I imagine part Greek, part Longobard/Norman.

Among my great-grandparents, during the early years of the Savoyard Kingdom of Italy, a great-grandmother lived on one side of a river and her future husband, a great-grandfather, on the other side: more than a thousand years previously, this river marked the boundary between territory administered by Constantinople and Longobard Benevento, respectively, later united under the Normans and then other conquerors from northern/western Europe, including, a generation prior to their births, the (Spanish) Bourbon Kingdom.

Looking forward, it really doesn't matter, but it's satisfying to know.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Most people here have some ancestors from other former Austro-Hungarian territories. That said, people aren't really obsessed with genealogy, so it's not a big deal.
A lot of non-German speakers in empire times move to Vienna? And their children or grandchildren were native German speakers so they just merged in the native population.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:54 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,237,418 times
I disagree. There are lots of people here where I live that wouldn't have any ancestors from any other country.

I personally do have ancestors from Scotland and England but different countries no. It's not true to say that people crossed boundaries; what about island nations?

I don't think there was ever any foreign migration to Ireland or Scotland in the past really.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:56 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,237,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Four or five hundred years ago, nation-states didn't really exist in the modern form. The current nationalities are a modern construct, created by shared language (sometimes imposed by the national government) living in the same political state for a long time (depending on the country.

On the other hand, even if a country such as Portugal has gotten an influx from all over 1000+ years, those populations all mixed by now, perhaps creating an ethnicity with a common heritage?
What about Ireland/Iceland/Scotland? I would say I don't have any foreign heritage what so ever.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:05 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,819,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I disagree. There are lots of people here where I live that wouldn't have any ancestors from any other country.

I personally do have ancestors from Scotland and England but different countries no. It's not true to say that people crossed boundaries; what about island nations?

I don't think there was ever any foreign migration to Ireland or Scotland in the past really.
There are plenty of examples I'm only going to post one link though.

Scotland and the Flemish People

Old 07-18-2015, 04:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

"Pure blood" makes me think of Harry Potter.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 PM

14,613 posts, read 17,299,205 times
Quote:
What about Ireland/Iceland/Scotland? I would say I don't have any foreign heritage what so ever.
Iceland is probably the most consanguineous nation on earth. I doubt that you could find any two Icelanders that are more distantly related than 20th cousin. On average, any two people are probably 6th cousins or closer.

The celtic people were Europe's first great civilization, and the current Celtic nations are the remants of that 26 century old civilization. But there were people living in Britain and Ireland before the Celts arrived. Their blood is mixed in with the present inhabitants.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more of continental Europe. But won't having Scottish ancestry kinda count as another ethnicity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe