Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:29 AM

20 posts, read 27,407 times

Advertisements

My sister is looking to apply to study abroad for her junior year in college and is having trouble deciding on a city. We'd love some more perspectives and suggestions of new cities are welcome too.
Looking for: '
- good public transit
- easy travel to lots of European cities
- preferably a little gritty, lots of street art and good music
- lots of english speakers
- lots of LGBT people

She's considered Berlin, Prague, Amsterdam, London, and Paris. She'd also like to know more about Istanbul and Malta. She didn't like Italy when she visited last summer, and thought Paris was too overrun with tourists to be enjoyable in the slightest. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Any of those would probably be good, but Berlin fits the criteria you're listing best. It's also more cost effective than Amsterdam, but maybe a little less than Prague. By the way, Prague seems like more of a superficial place to spend time. Very outwardly touristy, and maybe she will have a harder time really digging into Czech culture than elsewhere. I'd imagine English is very uncommon outside of the centre as well.

What do you mean by wanting to know more about Istanbul and Malta? To study in? Malta is an island country in the Mediterranean. It is small. The only draw I can immediately think of is that English is one of its official languages.

Istanbul is an enormous city in the Southeast of the continent. Torn between Southern Europe and the Middle East, it is kind of a clash between lifestyles, but with lots of things to see and do. Also probably cheaper than any other location you listed, but maybe less hassle-free.

Also worth noting: what is she studying? I recommended Berlin most, but in terms of Bachelors programs, I couldn't find my program (geography) taught in English when I looked into it about two years ago. For Masters programs, there are a number however. I'm not sure how the other cities you listed fare, but I would imagine Amsterdam has a lot of different options for English education. Obviously, if she is only studying for a year, it's much easier to find only a bunch of courses that will count as valid credits back home, but you still have to be careful.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:37 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times
Another vote for Berlin. Loved the city

Old 07-25-2015, 02:17 PM

431 posts, read 449,720 times
Berlin sounds like it fits the bill on most counts. It is not the most convenient city for access to other countries, though. It's off in the hinterlands. Travel from Berlin is discount airline instead of just jumping on a train.

Paris is only overrun with tourists in the summer. It is fine in the winter and even the fall and spring.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,555 times
I would recommend Prague, here is a link with many viable options.
https://www.expats.cz/prague/directory/universities
Born and raised in Prague, I can assure you Prague is far from superficial.. that is unless you stay in the tourist areas. Given the fact it is a small country from early on we're taught other languages, English being the minimum. Just about anybody anywhere in the country speaks English, and with majority of the older generations, add German, Russian, Polish and French.
If you want to dive in the Czech culture, and in that matter in any culture outside of US, talk to the locals, go to the mom and pops' places, local pubs etc...Majority people will welcome you with open arms, show you around, share the rich history.
Good luck to you!

Last edited by Guest2015; 07-25-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-25-2015, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,555 times
Should probably add - public transport is great. Choice of subway, trams (street cars) and buses. Best way to get a monthly pass, no restrictions. As a student you get tons of discounts. When it comes to easy travel throughout Europe. It is about five-hour drive to Germany, ten will take you to Italy, two to Poland, three to Austria. Train is a good option as well or if money is not an issue, airplane is the way to go - 1 to 2 hour-flights. Another great way to discover Europe on through Euro-weekends. Your choice of destination/bus ride/group of people.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Berlin or Prague would probably be what she'd be looking for.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:18 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,841 times
I'd choose Prague. Quality of life in Berlin is great, but the city is so ugly

Old 07-27-2015, 08:18 AM

139 posts, read 129,755 times
I'd say Berlin for most of the reasons others have said. I studied in Germany as an exchange student and learning German has believe it or not come in handy. I've actually gotten jobs because I knew the language. Maybe your sister would have the same experience.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,754 times
All of those will be awesome, but Berlin is probably the coolest city in Europe right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe