Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

The truth is that if you gave americans the option most would still be driving those muscle machines from the 60's. Most find the Japanese cars boring.They are like sewing machines.Since they can't have that so many have turned to Harley's and rebuilding older cars at high cost. That is the main reason SUV's have been so popular.French cars;frankly I think they are ugly.I would hate to be on the highway in that SMART car. I remember taking a trip in a volkswagan once;if the wind was high and from the side ;you would switch lanes without turning the wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Japanese cars can actualy be quite luxurious and spacious. I have an '04 Accord with all the trimmings and I don't think I'll ever buy an American car again. And my Accord was built in Maryland for crying-out-loud!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:47 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The truth is that if you gave americans the option most would still be driving those muscle machines from the 60's. Most find the Japanese cars boring.They are like sewing machines.Since they can't have that so many have turned to Harley's and rebuilding older cars at high cost. That is the main reason SUV's have been so popular.French cars;frankly I think they are ugly.I would hate to be on the highway in that SMART car. I remember taking a trip in a volkswagan once;if the wind was high and from the side ;you would switch lanes without turning the wheel.
What you say about the european cars. I've never seen a car switch lanes because of the wind.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-02-2008 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: do not post copyrighted images

Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,851 times
EVEN BACK IN THE 80S, WHEN THERE WERE A FEW FRENCH CARS SOLD HERE IN THE STATES, MOST WERE AVERAGE BY THAT TIME'S STANDARDS (THINK ALL RENAULTS; CITROENS WERE SLIGHTLY BETTER, BUT NOT BY MUCH). BUT ONE CAR STOOD OUT ABOVE THE REST (INDEED ABOVE ALL AMERICAN & JAPANESE, ARGUABLY AGAINST MOST GERMAN LUXURY CARS AS WELL) IN TERMS OF ITS STYLE, RELIABILITY/DURABILITY, RIDE COMFORT, AND AFFORDABILITY. IN FACT, I FEEL COMFORTABLE SAYING THAT THIS IS THE MOST UNDER-RATED CAR EVER BUILT.
IT'S THE PEUGEOT 505 (SEDAN, NOT THE UGLY STRETCHED-PLATFORM WAGON). THE ONLY 4 DOOR I'VE EVER SEEN WHERE EVERY BODY LINE IS SHAPED MORE LIKE A SMOOTH ARC THAN A STRAIGHT LINE. THAT SUBTLE BEAUTY STILL MAKES ME DROOL, ESPECIALLY THE TURBO/V6 VERSIONS WITH A BODY KIT, WHICH IS HOW MOST US-MARKET MODELS WERE SOLD. ALSO, AFTER THE MERECEDES S CLASS, IT REALLY HAD THE SMOOTHEST, MOST COMFORTABLE RIDE OF ANY CAR IN THE 80S. EVEN HANDLING WAS ASTOUNDING, MAINLY BECAUSE OF THE GENIUS AERODYNAMIC DESIGN OF THE UNDERCARRIAGE. AND AS LONG AS YOU DID TYPICAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE, THEY DID NOT BREAK, PERIOD.
TO MAKE THE MOST SIGNIFICANT POINT ABOUT THE 505'S AWESOMENESS: IT'S BEEN KNOWN FOR YEARS AS THE "WORKHORSE OF AFRICA," UNDERSTANDABLY CALLED SO BY LOCALS BECAUSE OF ITS ABILITY TO COMFORTABLY CRUISE FOR YEARS & YEARS & YEARS OVER ROUGH, ROCKY, POT-HOLED, DUSTY AFRICAN ROADS (WHICH DESCRIBES THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE AFRICAN ROADS). BOTTOM LINE: A CAR OF PERFECTION IN EVERY SIGNIFICANT ASPECT

http://www.autonetclassic.nl/FOTOBOE.../theloesen.jpg

Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
lol JS.
Is it possible that I've already seen a SMART car (German,made by Daimler-Benz) in the States? I used to see one regularly in Denver, and have seen a couple here. 33 miles to the gallon sounds good to me; as long as a person is not in a hurry. For city driving it would be fine.
This is what SMART cars look like, correct?
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/eristdeleckeran/london/smart.jpg (broken link)
I'm getting claustrophobia just looking at that...and I usually prefer small cars...

Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I'm getting claustrophobia just looking at that...and I usually prefer small cars...
Given the fact that the Smart is a two seater and that there is virtually no trunk, you would be surprised how roomy it is inside. I felt much better than in any other minicar (90kg, 1.87m) . However Smart is not a french make.

My personal view is that there are some very interesting french-made cars out there. Much has changed in automobile manufacturing over the last decades, and this is true for any manufacturer... be it French, American, Japanese or whatsoever.

Moderator cut: To respect copyrights, please don't post images which are not your own composition

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-29-2008 at 07:45 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 12:52 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
My Wife had an old Renault Dauphine that she drove for 10 years and right into the ground...with 200,000 miles on it. Didn't owe her a thing. What I liked about it was the city/country horn and I used to beep that thing every chance I could.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Given the fact that the Smart is a two seater and that there is virtually no trunk, you would be surprised how roomy it is inside. I felt much better than in any other minicar (90kg, 1.87m) . However Smart is not a french make.
You're partially right. Smart is owned by Daimler-Benz but the factory is in Hambach, France.

I definitely agree with you, the interior of the Smart is very comfortable, and I'm a big American. I'm seriously considering buying one when they become available here in Tennessee.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:45 AM
edk

95 posts, read 543,609 times
I once owned a Renault 16. Every other car I ever owned you pushed down on the button to lock the door, on this car you pulled up.

I Also recall a friend's Renault 2CV. The only contemporary car that still had a crank to start the engine by hand (in addition to the regular starter, that sounded like a collection of cans caught in a washing maching)..

Old 03-01-2008, 11:58 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I lived in France for 3 years in the mid 60's [USAF] while there I bought a Simca Sedan[french Chrysler] It was one of the BEST cars I have ever owned.....-0- repairs in 3 years I only sold it because it had yellow European headlamps and non safety glass windshield....

and I LOVED the Deaux Chevaux [despite the GI's somewhat crude nickname for it......] was funny to watch it take a railroad crossing and then bounce for a week afterwards.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe