Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 03:15 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,313,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
I sometimes order some groceries from www.allyouneedfresh.com which is in Germany but sends groceries to some EU countries but no fresh produce no frozen due to perishable and no liquor/alcohol because of VAT/tax difference between countries. Like Cointreau is 7 euro cheaper in Germany compared to where I am.
Over euro 60.00 it is free delivery and since I buy things like german teas assorted, and also drugstore products besides non-perishable foods one soon reaches the amount for free delivery.
The lieferung ausland page explains the various countries delivery rates etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 04:08 AM

504 posts, read 465,370 times
Thanks for the replies.

As I suspected, it's nothing like as common as in the UK. Probably explains why we have so many boarded-up shops and the rest of Europe doesn't.

I will continue to do my weekly shop at the supermarket, as I want to see, compare. And I don't want their idea of a substitute if they're out of stock of an item. I also want our shops to remain open. Charging €5 for delivery is why they can't make money from it. By the time someone has picked the goods, packed and loaded onto a van, driven it to your door - it costs way, way more than €5.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:40 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
I don't think it's very popular in the NL. I think AH is the only one that offers it, and that's one of the most expensive stores. And also, Dutch are way to greedy to pay for the extra € 5,-

I order lots of stuff online, but never groceries.
It's funny...I knew that AH delivered for 5 euro, which seemed like a fair price, and I assumed that this service was popular, especially in The Hague where few AHs have parking lots.

But I never used it myself, because I didn't want to pay the 5 euro either! I walked my bike home from the grocery store, with about three bags of groceries hanging from each handlebar, and more groceries in the saddlebags. Absolutely hated grocery day, but I was too cheap to pay the 5 euro to get everything delivered.

Maybe I should've been Dutch, haha.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:07 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
It's funny...I knew that AH delivered for 5 euro, which seemed like a fair price, and I assumed that this service was popular, especially in The Hague where few AHs have parking lots.

But I never used it myself, because I didn't want to pay the 5 euro either! I walked my bike home from the grocery store, with about three bags of groceries hanging from each handlebar, and more groceries in the saddlebags. Absolutely hated grocery day, but I was too cheap to pay the 5 euro to get everything delivered.

Maybe I should've been Dutch, haha.
Haha, seems like you have the right genes

And besides that, I also think people wouldn't trust the shop to deliver fresh goods. Chances are high that is true too. Big chance they give you the stuff that's almost over date as you're not likely to go out to bring it back

Old 09-11-2015, 05:27 PM

545 posts, read 866,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
I will continue to do my weekly shop at the supermarket, as I want to see, compare. And I don't want their idea of a substitute if they're out of stock of an item. I also want our shops to remain open. Charging €5 for delivery is why they can't make money from it. By the time someone has picked the goods, packed and loaded onto a van, driven it to your door - it costs way, way more than €5.
Well the grocery stores which offer this aren't the cheapest ones, I think they have quite have margins to begin with and it just makes people buy more stuff. I think it may be profitable even if not as much as someone coming with its car. Moreover in European city centers you won't take as much inessential stuff if you have to carry everything back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe