Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:21 AM

502 posts, read 654,779 times

Advertisements

C'mon guys, Frenchs are not rude to Americans because they are special or because they think of them in such or such way... Frenchs are rude to every other nation equally! They are not making an effort to be ruder with Americans Frenchs are also rude with themselves, but they don't even realise that they are being rude until they spend sometime abroad and realise that letting the world (and your customers) know you are having a bad day is not something that happens in any other country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:02 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
C'mon guys, Frenchs are not rude to Americans because they are special or because they think of them in such or such way... Frenchs are rude to every other nation equally! They are not making an effort to be ruder with Americans Frenchs are also rude with themselves, but they don't even realise that they are being rude until they spend sometime abroad and realise that letting the world (and your customers) know you are having a bad day is not something that happens in any other country
You talking about Paris' waiters? lol.
And seriously I've never understood the customers thing. Since I'm on CD I've learned that some Americans seems to think that the customer service in France is bad, but the customer service isn't bad, well not for me at least and I guess for many other French people, we just don't work the same way as Americans and don't expect the same things.

Needed to say this.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:01 AM

502 posts, read 654,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
You talking about Paris' waiters? lol.
And seriously I've never understood the customers thing. Since I'm on CD I've learned that some Americans seems to think that the customer service in France is bad, but the customer service isn't bad, well not for me at least and I guess for many other French people, we just don't work the same way as Americans and don't expect the same things.

Needed to say this.
I know that most French people do not understand this customer service thing. As I said before, French people do not realise this until they live abroad for some time and they realise how most Western societies treat customers in comparison to French culture.

But customer service in France (and especially in Paris) is bad. Sometimes it is awfully bad. It is so bad that when you find a waiter or a clerck who seems nice, takes care of you, is polite and smiley, you remember him/her and tell your friends!

Americans customer service might be on the other side of the scale, and it is maybe too much imho, sometimes working too much for a tip and faking it too much. Anyways I prefer a fake smile than a truthful disdain.

Just a comparison of "client is king" as a saying in the US vs. "le client n'est pas roi" gives you a feeling for the priorities in both places. In most French restaurants and bars you feel like you must be honoured to being seated in there and being served their fantastic food. It is their restaurant and you are just an invitee. In other countries, they understand you are the one paying their bills at the end of the month, and try to please you.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:45 AM

59 posts, read 58,811 times
As to marrying foreigners:
Western European men tend to marry Asians, Latin Americans and women from developing countries.
Western European women tend to marry men from first world countries.
Of course, a gross aproximation.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
I know that most French people do not understand this customer service thing. As I said before, French people do not realise this until they live abroad for some time and they realise how most Western societies treat customers in comparison to French culture.

But customer service in France (and especially in Paris) is bad. Sometimes it is awfully bad. It is so bad that when you find a waiter or a clerck who seems nice, takes care of you, is polite and smiley, you remember him/her and tell your friends! I think you're exagerating a great deal here.

Americans customer service might be on the other side of the scale, and it is maybe too much imho, sometimes working too much for a tip and faking it too much. Anyways I prefer a fake smile than a truthful disdain. Well that's our difference I guess, fake smiles are bad, it's hypocritical and TBH if I ever saw someone smilling too much at me, I'll just think s/he's mocking me or something. I don't know, I just think that the best is in between, not fake but not rude either, just honest and since I'm born I've never really met bad waiters or been disappointed with our customer service (see below) (for example, when I used to go shoppng with my mother, I was always happy when the staff there let us alone, doing our thing, if a person were to come to us and ask us repetedly if we needed something while smilling I'd probably have exited the shop. And also for the waiters thing, maybe people just go (and by people I mean tourists) to too touristy places, where waiters are maybe fed up of everything or maybe it's just that the customer wasn't himself or herself very polite and the waiter sensed it and decided to be a little less nice or I don't know. Or maybe like I said what for some people is concidered rude/inconciderate/bad customer service are for others just "normal" behavior.

Just a comparison of "client is king" as a saying in the US vs. "le client n'est pas roi" gives you a feeling for the priorities in both places. In most French restaurants and bars you feel like you must be honoured to being seated in there and being served their fantastic food. It is their restaurant and you are just an invitee. In other countries, they understand you are the one paying their bills at the end of the month, and try to please you. I think you're also exagerating a great deal here too. In French we have "le client est roi", I never heard of "le client n'est pas roi". I don't know what have been your experiences, if you had any or if you just heard about it but "in most French restaurants" it really isn't like you said, especially in smaller restaurants/bars. Maybe people are just going in the wrong places or attract the wrong persons/waiters. There is places like you said logically but it certainly isn't the majority. In my all life I've never met a bad waiter, I've met bad cashier and nasty hairdresser (in front of me the woman were all nice, smilling and friendly and then when she was with her collegue and thinking I wasn't listening, didn't hesitate to spit on my face -- I call this hypocrisy, not smilling-to-please-the-client customer service).
Sorry for the strange way of answering.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 09-22-2015 at 05:08 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humming100 View Post
As to marrying foreigners:
Western European men tend to marry Asians, Latin Americans and women from developing countries.
So true! Just in my small city, I can't even begin to tell you how many French guys I've seen with Asian-looking women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humming100 View Post
Western European women tend to marry men from first world countries.
Of course, a gross aproximation.
I think it's the opposite in fact IMHO. I can just talk for my country but here you're going to see a lot of French women with North African, Blacks and Caribbean guys (my sister is going to marry a Réunionnais...). But that's just what I've seen and someone else is probably going to have another view.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Truth is if just one French does't speak english, the whole group will speak french and english only when speaking to the english speaker. Unlike some other countries where everyone switch to English when there is even just one english speaker. It's kind of an unconscious thing. That's why if you live there, you really need to learn the language.
That's an interesting observation! You're right that this behaviour differs by nationality. In some the conversation will be in the national language as you describe, in some a mix of the national language and English, and in some in English only even if there is only one English speaker.

Here in Quebec what's interesting is that the Québécois seem to have transitioned from speaking mostly in English as a group in the presence of a single anglo (a generation or two ago), to one today where they generally speak French as a group even in the presence of a unilingual anglo, with English reserved for addressing the English speaker only.

It's a bit different in business settings of course (especially if the English speaker is from outside Quebec) but in social settings you can expect a lot of French to be spoken around you even if you don't speak it or understand it.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:54 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiReader View Post
I think that's because American guys are too lame/not imaginative enough in bed for French girls. The other way around works, for obvious reasons.
I've always heard that French girls go for American guys and complain that French guys only want to go in through the back door and ignore the front door.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I've always heard that French girls go for American guys and complain that French guys only want to go in through the back door and ignore the front door.
always heard... lol

Old 09-23-2015, 03:03 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
always heard... lol
I know. Every French girl I've known says the same thing. It was difficult to believe, even though I heard these French girls saying the very same.

Who am I to call them all liars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe