Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Basic Voting: Live in Romania or not next year, including to obtain paid farm work?
Yes, Of Course! Take The Opportunity Without Any Hesitation. 18 52.94%
Yeah, yet with some more hesitation. 6 17.65%
Maybe. I don't know. Undecided. 4 11.76%
No, close to a yes. 2 5.88%
Don't without a doubt. Undeniably a no. 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 07:38 PM
 started this thread
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Working in the hot Dobrujan sun during summers may not be very idyllic and simple physical work may appear boring and exhausting. Though a city boy, around age 20 I spent more than an year in a monastery, doing bassically all kind of agricultural and other kind of works and that was really idyllic, given the fact that the places were idyllic too. But it was early 90s, less pollution and agitation.

Anyway, I think you should do this for an year, as Romania has something that disappeared long ago, or never been in other countries, a combination of full of live natural environment and fascinating human culture(s) and a mythical geography, like the one of India, being separated from the rest of the world by the rugged mountain relief and the mighty Danube.
Magnificent to encounter another patriotic nationalistic Romanian. Be proud of your country. I hope to stay in Romania longer sometime in the future more than one month.

I can't believe after 4 or 5 extensive visits, I barely traveled to the vast areas of Carpathia Transylvania area of Romania (Brasov, Sibiu, Sinaia, Cluj Napoca, Carpathian mountains, Bran Castle, Peles Castle, Sighisoara, Timisoara, Arad, Oradea). I hope to finally visit those other areas of Romania when I have the right time before or after the farm work.

Paid farm work is an ideal part time entry level beginning type of work in between other types of work, and before I get more Computer Tech, and Architect work. I am a young college student right now.

Hot summer weather is best in Dobrogea, and gives the area extra charm June-September around Constanta, including the beaches. I wouldn't ever complain about warm hot weather in the summer.

You are right on the mystical energy of Romania, and the timeless pleasure of the atmosphere. Very exotic, and people know the feeling when they visit. I don't think I am ever going to regret taking this journey at least half a year with the farm April-October 2016, and right before or after I am able to travel all over Romania, Turkey, Bulgaria, and Georgia. Maximizing on travel, and a practical opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 PM
 started this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Does the Constanta beach city of Romania have plenty of Independent Business Stores, Top of the World Cafes and Massive Elaborate Nightclubs?
Constanta has a vast network of Independent Business Stores everywhere with a peaceful satisfying lack of any chain stores. The same situation in a vast majority of Romania. I feel very happy when I see Independent Stores, especially Cafes, Nightclubs, Restaurants, Furniture Stores, and even more happy when I don't see too much or any chain stores.

Constanta Romania, and even the town of Mangalia have up to 10-15 Top of the World Independent Cafes, Including all with Laptop Computer wireless Internet, and eclectic ambiance inside. Very modern yet classical. There are tons of nightclubs all over Romania beach cities, towns, and villages. Even easier to find than in Northern Italy. Mamaia is technically part of Constanta and is a unique nightlife zone with ultra incredible nightclubs rare to discover elsewhere. I am making reservations in 3 of those nightclubs for next summer.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:17 PM
 started this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I definitely think you should go. With no strings attached. Don't invest any money, don't give false promises, but go there to your ancestral homeland and live with the locals. Work the farm, travel around Romania, yes. It certainly will be a great experience. Go for it is my opinion.
Having an adventurous travel spirit is favorable towards this journey. Flexible might be preferable compared to unconditional, and I am able to make modifications with my time in Romania, including the paid farm work. Staying rational, and not too impulsive is a fair minded exchange with how to spend my time in Romania next summer. Romania is my ancestral homeland, yet technically I am American in nationality. I feel close and attached to both sides. Sometimes even more towards Romania.

Travel all over Romania, including working on the farm is a valuable, and relevant epic journey.

I am going to make sure to record my experience on CD World Europe forum if I end up taking this opportunity. Highly likely at this point. I might have some months where I usually communicate in Romanian language there, and barely English. How exciting.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:05 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,564,516 times
Quote:
You are right on the mystical energy of Romania, and the timeless pleasure of the atmosphere. Very exotic, and people know the feeling when they visit. I don't think I am ever going to regret taking this journey at least half a year with the farm April-October 2016, and right before or after I am able to travel all over Romania, Turkey, Bulgaria, and Georgia. Maximizing on travel, and a practical opportunity.
The best part of Romania is the Carpathian Mountains, the uninhabited wilderness, the amazing alternance of of heights and valleys with stunning panoramas, the dense forests with huge trees, the wild gorges covered in grass, moos and other kind of vegetation, the pure rivers and waterfalls, the alpine pastures covered in countless species of flowering plants. I don't think is something on this earth close to the idea of paradise.

Next, is the world of mountain villages in Carpathians, which preserves houses and churches of ancestral, very unique architecture, where people live a simple life, almost like in middle age.

Then, is the Delta, an aquatic enviroment packed with millions of birds from over 300 species living in a labyrinth of lakes, marshes, floating islands and canals extending on 4,000 sq. km. Is incredible to have the experience of a biologically rich country on the oldest part of Europe!

Then there are the Transylvanian villages with an incredible ethnic, religious and cultural diversity. Then Oltenia, Muntenia etc. Each province has a very different flavor and identity.

But I have to say that the area were you go, Constanța County if I understood correctly, has a barren physical environment, is a steppe with only some agricultural crops, pointed by poor villages hidden in the small hills. Northern Dobruja, Tulcea County on the other side, has the low Măcin Mountains and the Delta and is much more interesting, in fact is fabulously magical, because of very rich history (it was the gate of Europe, most invading nations since prehistory passed by here) and wild nature. Is an overhelming feeling that is hard to explain, which you experience when you step on these lands. But because of aridity, Dobruja offers more a spiritual or intellectual delight than one of the senses, like the Carpathians.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:19 PM
 started this thread

Quote:
The best part of Romania is the Carpathian Mountains, the uninhabited wilderness, the amazing alternance of of heights and valleys with stunning panoramas, the dense forests with huge trees, the wild gorges covered in grass, moos and other kind of vegetation, the pure rivers and waterfalls, the alpine pastures covered in countless species of flowering plants. I don't think is something on this earth close to the idea of paradise.

Next, is the world of mountain villages in Carpathians, which preserves houses and churches of ancestral, very unique architecture, where people live a simple life, almost like in middle age.

Then, is the Delta, an aquatic enviroment packed with millions of birds from over 300 species living in a labyrinth of lakes, marshes, floating islands and canals extending on 4,000 sq. km. Is incredible to have the experience of a biologically rich country on the oldest part of Europe!

Then there are the Transylvanian villages with an incredible ethnic, religious and cultural diversity. Then Oltenia, Muntenia etc. Each province has a very different flavor and identity.

But I have to say that the area were you go, Constanța County if I understood correctly, has a barren physical environment, is a steppe with only some agricultural crops, pointed by poor villages hidden in the small hills. Northern Dobruja, Tulcea County on the other side, has the low Măcin Mountains and the Delta and is much more interesting, in fact is fabulously magical, because of very rich history (it was the gate of Europe, most invading nations since prehistory passed by here) and wild nature. Is an overwhelming feeling that is hard to explain, which you experience when you step on these lands. But because of aridity, Dobruja offers more a spiritual or intellectual delight than one of the senses, like the Carpathians.
There is incredible diversity all over Romania. Not a centralized country at all such as Denmark, Estonia, Netherlands, Latvia, Hungary, or Macedonia. Romania is pretty decentralized, and having those not to miss destination zones all over the country.

My favorite areas of Romania without a doubt all include Brasov, Sibiu, Cluj Napoca, Sighisoara, Sinaia, Transylvania, Carpathian mountains, Bran Castle, Peles Castle, Oradea, Arad, Timisoara, Wallachia, Bucharest, Beach communities of Dobrogea: Constanta, Eforie Nord, Eforie Sud, Costinesti, Vama Veche, Iasi, Craiova, Buzescu, Oltenia, and Satmar-Maramures-Bucovina.

There is a high variety on best areas of Romania, not only the Carpathian mountains. Enough scenic high mountains are around, and Romania is 31% mountainous country after all.

I just can't believe even after my 5 extensive visits around 1 summer month each year, I barely visited all of the other areas of Romania outside of the Bucharest- Romania beach cities, towns, villages corridor. Next time I visit, I want to travel all over Romania right before or after the paid farm work.

What are some of those specific Carpathian villages you are referring to?

The Danube Delta is not one of my favorite areas of Romania technically, even though the area is unique, and feels like Europe's version of the South American Brazilian Amazon.

When I was 15 years old, I went on a Yacht boat with rich Romanian family relatives right on the Danube River Delta. We didn't get as far to Sulina, somewhere in the middle to Mila 23. Too remote compared to Dobrogea's real beach cities.

I know you are a very proud, and nationalistic Romanian judging by your posts. Right on, and a beneficial rational, sane healthy attitude to have.

There is tons of arrogant coastal Dobrogeans saying equivalent reversed condescending false exaggerating impressions on other areas of Romania not having the summer beach atmosphere, and saying how they can't ever live elsewhere in Romania. Just embrace the entire country Transylvanians around the mountains, and Dobrogeans around the beaches.

Constanta county is not barren at all. I don't understand why anyone is saying these entirely false claims. Constanta county is really beautiful geographically with the tropical bright blue turquoise resembling beach sea ocean water land area in the summer months. Constanta, Mamaia, Eforie Nord, Eforie Sud, Costinesti, and Vama Veche are all very urban, and with tons of unique vibrant atmosphere of eclectic variation. There are tons of forests in those cities, towns, villages with surprisingly dense forests, especially in the parks. Some of my favorite types of Deciduous trees I have ever seen, and resembling Olive trees. Even some Conifer Evergreen trees are around. Agriculture makes pretty landscapes too with all of those vast Sunflower fields all over Dobrogea in between dormancy and cultivation.

I am looking forward to all of these intellectual, exotic, and spiritual delights of Romania next year.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:23 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Me and my Sister technically have an Agricultural farm land inheritance near Constanta because of our Father's death land grant, and we get $75,000 of annual income from this extremely wealthy farm.
Ohhhh how lucky. I mean the inheritance part.

Sorry to hear about your father though.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
What are some of those specific Carpathian villages you are referring to?
There are thousands such villages. think rather for areas, not for a single locality. There are 70 mountain ranges in Romania (each one on average 1,000 sq. km, totalizing ~70,000 sq. km) and each range has in its foothills a number of such stunning mountain villages. And each range is a different world, both in respect of nature and of the culture of these villages. Often there is more cultural differences between zones of Romania than between foreign countries. In the area of Apuseni (the common name for Western Carpathians) the villages and hamlets are not only in the foothills, but up to the higher plateaux (though these mountains don't go above 1,800m), hidden among forests and pastures. Apuseni is the most archaic rural area of Europe.

If you want me to reccomend you the best such mountainous rural areas, in the descending order of interestingness they will be:

- Metaliferi Mountains (Apuseni, Transylvania, this range see little tourists though is packed with unbelievable density of gorges, ancient Roman gold mines, old mining towns etc)
-Muntele Mare Mountains and Bihor Mountains (both in Apuseni)
- Obcinele Bucovinei Mountains (Eastern Carpathians, Bukovina) - this range covers 2,500 sq. km and consists of low mountains covered in forests and pastures, with some isolated villages inhabited by Romanians and Hutsuls (a Slavic group). Is a very remote area with few roads, away from civilisation were one can hike for weeks without being disturbed by signs of contemporary life.
- Trascău Mountains (Apuseni)
-Mehedinți Mountains (Southern Carpathians, Oltenia)
- Vâlcan Mountains (Southern Carpathians, Oltenia)
-Căpățânii Mountains (Southern Oltenia, Carpathians)
- Vrancea Mountains (Eastern Carpathians, Moldavia)
- Buzău Mountains (Curvature Carpathians, Wallachia)
-Szekely Land - an area mostly mountainous, with villages with lots of wooden houses, very well preserved architecture and traditions, a true living museum. There are many mountain ranges here and so many natural and cultural objectives that you may feel arested not knowing with ones to start visiting. The Harghita Mountains is the biggest range and together with Hășmaș Mountains is the most interesting.

Quote:
The Danube Delta is not one of my favorite areas of Romania technically, even though the area is unique, and feels like Europe's version of the South American Brazilian Amazon
Is not some stinky marshy area. the water is so clean that locals use it as source of drinking water. There is no foul smell or anything disturbing.

Quote:
When I was 15 years old, I went on a Yacht boat with rich Romanian family relatives right on the Danube River Delta. We didn't get as far to Sulina, somewhere in the middle to Mila 23. Too remote compared to Dobrogea's real beach cities.
The Sulina Channel is artificial, at least up to the point you have been. If you look on a map, you see is a stright line. It was dug in 19th century. The true Delta is beyond such anthropised areas. I paid a local to take me with his small boat and in few hours I saw much of Delta and because the boat was low, I was able to touch the water, the plants etc. All for less than 50$.

Quote:
Constanta county is not barren at all. I don't understand why anyone is saying these entirely false claims.
I was speaking about the inland area, between Danube and sea. The area is not totally uninteresting. There are several villages with Tatar and Turkish communities and picturesque, 19th century small mosques.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:56 PM
 started this thread

Quote:
Constanța is a grim commieblock city of 300 k + people (with a tiny historical center in a deplorable condition)
Everyone I meet, and encountered actually visiting Constanta only have nice things to say on the city, enjoy their time, and never say any of those mean delusional false polar opposite of reality harsh criticism remarks.

I and everyone else would never say those words on Constanta. Trust me, I have really high standards living in NYC, and Seattle my entire life and Constanta is really magnificent and beautiful with a high quality of life. And not just because of my exotic areas of the World allure of international attention.

Constanta is extremely eclectic, and I am always very surprised how quickly the scenery changes within the city between various streets, and neighborhoods. Very high eclectic variation, including the architectural style. There is tons of buildings, and houses of a unique classical Baroque, and Romania-Ottoman Turkish empire Renaissance imperial unique Neo-Brâncovenesc theme all over Constanta. Ovidiu Square(Including vast city blocks around the area) got a massive renovation, and is extremely hypnotically alluring. This historical center is much larger than you say, and at a pretty fine condition lately.

Go to Siberia Russia for real commie blocks. Romania is not Russia at all in modern times, and they are very different. Even those buildings I think you are referring to are not too ubiquitous, and they look infinitely better, and more pleasant than the Russian counterparts. They even look space age in Constanta, and blending immaculately with the Baroque, and Neo-Brâncovenesc architecture there thousands of miles away on the opposite side of the World.

Constanta is a really happy city with a very deep satisfying vibe, and a peaceful high quality of life. Especially in the summer.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:00 PM
 started this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Ohhhh how lucky. I mean the inheritance part.

Sorry to hear about your father though.
Me, and my Sibling Sister are lucky, and obtain incredible value on this holy, and sacred agricultural farm land inheritance of Romania in between Constanta, Viisoara, and Dobromir.

We have $75,000 out of this area of the farm land grant, while one of my other uncles makes $300,000 annual income. My 2nd uncle literally makes up to $10 million dollars and is the arguably the wealthiest family in Dobrogea area of Romania. There is tons of middle class and wealthy people of Romania around, despite the very mixed economic demographic. There is a lot of family drama behind the scenes on this Romania agriculture farm.

What is your reflection with Romania? One of my cousins met a Taiwanese lady in the beach cities of Romania, including at a hotel, and the Taiwanese lady told my cousin she loves visiting the country. A very exotic nation to her. The Postman (John Oh) really wants to visit Romania on top of his favorite destinations to visit list of the future. I am Facebook friends with John On on my Facebook name Theo Albu.

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-04-2015 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Personal

Old 10-04-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
There is tons of buildings, and houses of a unique classical Baroque, and Romania-Ottoman Turkish empire Renaissance imperial unique Neo-Brâncovenesc theme all over Constanta. Ovidiu Square(Including vast city blocks around the area) got a massive renovation, and is extremely hypnotically alluring. This historical center is much larger than you say, and at a pretty fine condition lately.
Up to late 19th century, Constanța was a mostly Turkish village (5,204 inhabitants in 1854). In early 20th century it developed rapidly but also chaotically. There is no any representative architecture or landmarks, just some small houses from first decades of 20th century, usually hidden by the commieblocks that border all main streets. Even in the peninsula, the small historical neighborhood, there are ugly commieblocks among the ruined & partly collapsed prewar houses. There is an ongoing program of restoring this old area of the city but will be hard to hide all those communist monsters.

Quote:
Go to Siberia Russia for real commie blocks. Romania is not Russia at all in modern times, and they are very different. Even those buildings I think you are referring to are not too ubiquitous, and they look infinitely better, and more pleasant than the Russian counterparts.
They are the same.

Quote:
Constanta is a really happy city with a very deep satisfying vibe, and a peaceful high quality of life. Especially in the summer.
One who reads you will notice a suspect all good - nothing bad perception about your native place. Is normal to give unrealistic positive dimensions to the places you only visited few times. But in your case, I feel that the discrepancy with reality is bigger. Constanța (also Brăila) is the among the very few cities in Romania where the foreign perception about Romania as a disastruous place is true. But is not the case for the entire Constanța County. The rest of this county is ok. The neighbour Mangalia city has that vibe of prosperity and happiness you say, is clean and neat, though also consists mainly of commieblocks. Cernavodă city looks the best in county. Murfatlar and Medgidia are decent. Constanța is rather an exception.

Last edited by CARPATHIAN; 10-04-2015 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe