Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:45 PM

37 posts, read 53,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Considering the ferocious U.S. nationalism expressed so frequently in C-D forums, I am very surprised that the U.S. is quite far down on the list at 44%! Talk about turning in the grave, George Washington must be spinning in his grave like a windmill.
It's not U.S. nationalism. I don't feel like my country USA is better than any other country in the world, but at the same time I would not live anywhere else. I think too many people confuse patriotism and love for once's country with nationalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 01:51 PM

37 posts, read 53,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Only 2% of Americans, 6M, have actually served since 9-11 and all that flowed from it.
You do realize there is a small window when it comes to serving in the armed forces along with a certain age range and other requirements, right? At the same time there is a defense budget and not everyone can serve if they wanted. Plus, 9/11 is not a good example.

I think the poll was talking more about if the country was actually ATTACKED/INVADED on all scales by outsiders would they defend it? For most Americans I think it would be a "Hell Yeah!"

This does not appear to be a good survey and I think it probably has to do with the question and how it was interpreted to the sample group that could have affected their answers.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:16 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM56 View Post
You do realize there is a small window when it comes to serving in the armed forces along with a certain age range and other requirements, right? At the same time there is a defense budget and not everyone can serve if they wanted. Plus, 9/11 is not a good example.

I think the poll was talking more about if the country was actually ATTACKED/INVADED on all scales by outsiders would they defend it? For most Americans I think it would be a "Hell Yeah!"

This does not appear to be a good survey and I think it probably has to do with the question and how it was interpreted to the sample group that could have affected their answers.
I would agree to an extent. I think the number would be higher if the question was would you fight if your country was being attacked and invaded by another.

If it was just about fighting for your country in general, it makes sense that a majority of Americans have no interest in doing so, especially after the recent mess we made in Iraq. For example, a couple of years ago when President Obama was trying to convince the public that there was a need for a redline with Syria, the majority of the public was against intervention, even when reports about chemical weapon use were coming out. Intervention in Syria didn't become favorable with the majority of the public until ISIS grew in power.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:29 PM

586 posts, read 831,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I would say it's a surprise, but it isn't. All of these countries are completely reliant on the United States and complain about them at the same time. The numbers will change soon enough when the new Germans become willing to fight for the newfound Deutsch caliphate.
I'm picturing a backside with some form of headwear upon it........... I'm sure there's a catchy phrase to describe such a thing but for the moment it eludes me.

Last edited by Mr Blue Sky; 10-16-2015 at 06:03 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 05:45 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,804,442 times
sweden? hilarious. we are being colonized just as you speak. a pathetic, feminised, weak, spineless nation that deserves to be taken advantage of - and that's what the muslims believe too.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:22 PM

428 posts, read 450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
sweden? hilarious. we are being colonized just as you speak. a pathetic, feminised, weak, spineless nation that deserves to be taken advantage of - and that's what the muslims believe too.
I'm in full agreement. As for Sweden I don't think anything can be done at this point short of a dictator who invokes a mass expulsion. The best hope is that Sweden will be an example to wake everyone else up but as things are now most countries like Germany are hellbent on committing suicide. How refreshing to see a European who calls a spade a spade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Why would we fight for our countries when we have you Americans to fight for us?
+ 1 for honesty drro. Most west europeans actually deny the obvious fact that they are completely dependent and live off of the United States. I think the rest of the world looks on and laughs at how completely neutered Europeans are.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
+ 1 for honesty drro. Most west europeans actually deny the obvious fact that they are completely dependent and live off of the United States. I think the rest of the world looks on and laughs at how completely neutered Europeans are.
Thanks for helping us out in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Oh wait, it was actually the UK, Italy, Poland, Georgia, Ukraine, Estonia, the Netherlands, Spain, Denmark, Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Luxembourg, Portugal, Iceland, Albania and Austria helping you out in waging two unnecessary wars in countries you had no business in.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:25 PM

428 posts, read 450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Thanks for helping us out in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Oh wait, it was actually the UK, Italy, Poland, Georgia, Ukraine, Estonia, the Netherlands, Spain, Denmark, Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Luxembourg, Portugal, Iceland, Albania and Austria helping you out in waging two unnecessary wars in countries you had no business in.
You shoul try learning about countries outside Europe. We weren't in Iraq. That's good Eurocentric Nazispeak to know nothing about our country though. If it weren't us and our allies like the US and UK I guess your mighty leader would still be running the show. You didn't want us to be involved with that either. I won't apologize for removing him or defeating your country.

Last edited by modernrebel; 10-16-2015 at 07:33 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 07:54 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
You shoul try learning about countries outside Europe. We weren't in Iraq. That's good Eurocentric Nazispeak to know nothing about our country though. If it weren't us and our allies like the US and UK I guess your mighty leader would still be running the show. You didn't want us to be involved with that either. I won't apologize for removing him or defeating your country.
Whoops. Thought you were from the US. Anyway, my point stands. We don't owe nothing to the US military-wise.

Also, thanks for personally removing Adolf Hitler. Thank you for your service. o7
Must suck that you couldn't use the good old "If it wasn't for us, you all would speak German", right?

Old 10-16-2015, 08:17 PM

242 posts, read 242,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Whoops. Thought you were from the US. Anyway, my point stands. We don't owe nothing to the US military-wise.

Also, thanks for personally removing Adolf Hitler. Thank you for your service. o7
Must suck that you couldn't use the good old "If it wasn't for us, you all would speak German", right?
Now I have seen it all. Location: Austria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe