Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 03:25 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,564,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
WORLD HAPPINESS EXAM

1. Are your surroundings as soul fulfilling, both naturally and culturally as Romania?

A. Yes, I have the singular privilege of being in Romania.
B. No, but I just attended a vibrant fiesta where a confused bull was bled to death and it is 40C. Olé!
C. No, but I am drunk most of the time. Can't complain.
D. I am staring at a dull concrete wall marked with a stain of unknown origin. I must be in Germany.

2. When was the last time you threw a tomato with joyous abandon?

A. In Romania, we create sumptuous tomato dishes whose taste and qualities exceed the highest European standard. I threw a turnip recently, though.
B. Funny, I was in the middle of throwing a tomato while reading the question. So lighthearted are my people, ja ja!
C. I just burped. I think I tasted tomato.
D. I am German. Why would I throw a tomato, a piece of food, when I am expected to feed the teeming poor who seek refuge in my country?

A pathetic ad hominem.

Last edited by CARPATHIAN; 11-04-2015 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 04:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
I've seen lots of articles on how people in France suffer from high rates of depression, suicide, etc.. That's a mystery to me. Beautiful country with a nice lifestyle. Hard to figure out. It's just as surprising that people in Germany have such a lacklustre happiness ranking.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:18 PM

1,248 posts, read 823,975 times
It's called heroic pessimism, and this isn't anything new. Germans have been like that from the beginning of time. That attitude really helps with creating classical music and philosophy.

Personally, I would take Germany with its pessimism and unhappiness over all those happy-clappy-crappy places. There is no other place in the world where I feel so happy and so free.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:31 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
It's called heroic pessimism, and this isn't anything new. Germans have been like that from the beginning of time. That attitude really helps with creating classical music and philosophy.

Personally, I would take Germany with its pessimism and unhappiness over all those happy-clappy-crappy places. There is no other place in the world where I feel so happy and so free.
I saw an article online that showed where countries ranked according to the prevalence of bipolar disorder in their population (manic-depressive illness). Apparently, it's more common in some countries than in others. Germany was very high on the list. By contrast, almost no one in Iceland has bipolar disorder.

I have no idea what that indicates. Just thought it was an interesting correlation to the "heroic pessimism". Also, it makes me think of "sturm und drang" and the German part of Romanticism in the 19th century.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I saw an article online that showed where countries ranked according to the prevalence of bipolar disorder in their population (manic-depressive illness). Apparently, it's more common in some countries than in others. Germany was very high on the list. By contrast, almost no one in Iceland has bipolar disorder.
Did Italy rank as the first? It should be. "We are so the best in everything, but we are still so crap in every other things". Simply must be the most bipolar nation on Earth.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:39 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCent View Post
Cause we are perfectionists and sometimes have too high expectations of everything. That makes you unhappy.
Have the Germans already got their trains running on time?

Old 11-06-2015, 10:04 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Did Italy rank as the first? It should be. "We are so the best in everything, but we are still so crap in every other things". Simply must be the most bipolar nation on Earth.
why did you drag us into this thread?

Old 11-06-2015, 01:09 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Physically Germany is very similar to many parts of Romania, not dull at all. Maybe the flat lowlands of northern Germany might appear dull to outsiders, but they expand to the Netherlands and Denmark too.
Culturally the Dutch are close to Germans and the Danes somewhat to north Germans.
So why are the Dutch number 7 and the Danes number 3 on the list? Nothing to do with dullness.
Yep, I agree. It's not about environment. Assuming the report is accurate, it's cultural attitudes. Just based on my brief visits to Germany & The Netherlands, it seemed to me the Dutch were happier & more upbeat than the Germans.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:16 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

I have no idea what that indicates. Just thought it was an interesting correlation to the "heroic pessimism". Also, it makes me think of "sturm und drang" and the German part of Romanticism in the 19th century.
I know some people won't believe this, but a fair amount of mental illness is diet related. Omega 3s from all the fish Icelanders eat could be protecting them from mental illness.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:30 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It's the killing gene. Germans love to wage war and kill, and now when they haven't been able to do so in 70 years they are unhappy. Simple as that.
Such BS. I hope you were joking.

They are not allowed to be happy. As soon as they are proud about something or get excited, somebody waves the Nazi flag over them and they have to shut up again.

It's time that all the people from back then are finally dead and the guilt shaming can be over. My dad wasn't even alive back then and we are tired for taking the blame over something our grand parents did. It's about time that we can walk with our chins up again like all other nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe