Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 05:15 AM

504 posts, read 461,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
What do you mean? Air defense systems?
What do you mean, what do I mean?!

I mean that it appears virtually certain that the Metro Jet from Sharm was blown up by a bomb. This was speculated in the West from the moment it happened, whereas in Russia, the media played it right down. The UK stopped flights from Sharm owing to the lack of security, and Putin hit out immediately - as he always does - saying it was premature and inflammatory. Within 24 hours, he did precisely the same.

Seeing as the Russian media had been transmitting the footage of Russian bombing in Syria like a video game, complete with musical soundtrack (yet more infantile antics, as described in my previous post), Putin finds himself in a tricky spot having to acknowledge the connection with the downing of the airliner after his usual bluster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 05:41 AM

136 posts, read 160,754 times
From my understanding, Russians feel Putin gives Russia the place it deserves in the world. (Russia is the largest country on the planet, and a very powerful nation, America wants Russia to be an irrelevant banana republic at the mercy of what the US wants)

Old 11-16-2015, 05:47 AM

26,781 posts, read 15,026,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My perception is that most Russians like that Putin talks and walks tough for Russia. I suspect many long for the USSR days and support territorial expansion. They've never had much individual freedom so they overlook his iron fist methods.

Hey, we long for a man that stands for the United States here also.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:51 AM

136 posts, read 160,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Individual freedom" - that's for people with money ( at least in modern world.)
Russians ( in general) never had much money.
I agree with you, individual freedom is for the rich but not only in Russia, in the US as well.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:09 AM

504 posts, read 461,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
From my understanding, Russians feel Putin gives Russia the place it deserves in the world.
International gangsters I assume?

He's doing fantastically well in that regard.

What place DOES Russia warrant in the world? It has a vast land mass, but little else. It can continue to be a serious military player so long as it impoverishes its people in order to pay for it, sure. And the population is daft enough to support it.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:22 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,334,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
International gangsters I assume?

He's doing fantastically well in that regard.

What place DOES Russia warrant in the world? It has a vast land mass, but little else. It can continue to be a serious military player so long as it impoverishes its people in order to pay for it, sure. And the population is daft enough to support it.
Russia is historically poor and unimportant. Their rise is recent and occurred under tough guys. It's not America, used to centuries of affluence and personal freedom. For them power is mostly about being militarily respected. The Russian Right Wing favors taking back the breakaway republics, so Putin's actions in Crimea or South Ossetia are pleasing.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:04 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,150,701 times
Quote:
What do you mean, what do I mean?!

I mean that it appears virtually certain that the Metro Jet from Sharm was blown up by a bomb. This was speculated in the West from the moment it happened, whereas in Russia, the media played it right down. The UK stopped flights from Sharm owing to the lack of security, and Putin hit out immediately - as he always does - saying it was premature and inflammatory. Within 24 hours, he did precisely the same.
I think that Putin did everything correctly. He did not hurry and did not make hasty conclusions.

Western newspapers published headlines "Putin kill my children" the next morning after the collapse of the Malaysian plane. And you do not have proof until now. West is playing a dirty game.

Quote:
Seeing as the Russian media had been transmitting the footage of Russian bombing in Syria like a video game, complete with musical soundtrack (yet more infantile antics, as described in my previous post), Putin finds himself in a tricky spot having to acknowledge the connection with the downing of the airliner after his usual bluster.
You make a dangerous mistake. You say: "Putin is to blame for the downed plane." The correct phrase: "The terrorists are to blame for the downed plane." If you think that Russians can be intimidated by terrorist attacks, you're wrong. If Putin begins to be afraid of terrorists, he will lose support of the electorate. It is excluded.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 11-16-2015 at 07:16 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 08:51 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,455,447 times
OP: GREAT QUESTION!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
About the current economic situation.
Russian defaulted was only 17 years ago (1998). Too little time has passed. The deterioration of economic situation can not be reason for change of power (Putin) at the moment. I think that West is wrong with introduction of sanctions. West could not take into account subtleties of Russian mentality. Putin took the opportunity to accuse the West of intending to harm Russia. Aggression can not force to surrender Russians, on the contrary it excites even more. I think you need to stop calling Putin a gangster (US presidential candidates called recently), and begin to establish a constructive dialogue.
You mean like the Cold War where you all just gave up?

I am an American and I personally have nothing against Russia or Putin.

I do find Putin amusing as he is VERY small for a man and seems to have to go around an overcompensate for that in staged events.

I have no problem Russia securing the Crimea as that is a nationally strategic port and I do not see many countries letting something like that happen.

I am against their actions in the Ukraine but I think this will work against Russia long term.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:12 AM

922 posts, read 799,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Russia is historically poor and unimportant. Their rise is recent and occurred under tough guys. It's not America, used to centuries of affluence and personal freedom. For them power is mostly about being militarily respected. The Russian Right Wing favors taking back the breakaway republics, so Putin's actions in Crimea or South Ossetia are pleasing.

You need to brush up on history, Russia has been an important country way longer than the US has been a country. Russian culture and politics has had a profound impact for a very long time, Tolstoy,Chekhov, Lenin, Peter the Great, Catherine the Great,Tchaikovsky, Mendeleev, etc. The US didn't become alluent and powerful until the turn of the 20th century. I would not say the US has any real culture.

Last edited by littlemissrock; 11-16-2015 at 09:32 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 09:26 AM

922 posts, read 799,061 times
I am not Russian but I quite like Putin, he is a strong assertive leader, a tough guy who can get things done. He is the only man who will not get bullied by the punks in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe