Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:59 AM

786 posts, read 811,587 times

Advertisements

Western Europe appears to be where are published the world's superior newspapers. Despite their decline in popularity or sales (which may, together with internet-competition, be spurring improvement), there'll ever be an market for them. And, as someone who has traveled extensively through Europe and, though limited by language, seen many of the national or some of the local efforts, I'd say that some are better than others. In terms of affordability, breadth and depth of coverage, presentation &c, my favourite is the Leipziger Volkszeitung (LVZ). But most of the German National papers will put others to shame. Their businesslike coverage of and well-judged balance between news, economics, sport, culture and advertisements appears to be better than in, say, the UK, in which there seems to be a stultifying baggage of cleverness, politics, snobbery, tradition &c that's spoiling things. And so the country which could or should be printing the world's best newspapers continues to disappoint me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 09:12 AM

But though that I still read the Daily Mail every day, I peek increasingly at the Daily Star. And, continually, I have to rebut or refute the national insinuations that accessing such 'rubbish' is akin to dealing with those in professions as base as estate-agency or the selling of cars. I'm afraid that the UK abounds with entrenched opinions, of which many competing nations are free

Old 11-21-2015, 07:05 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times
There isn't a general interest daily anywhere in the world that comes close to the NYT. WaPo is closing the gap, but still has a long way to go.

Same for financials. FT is a long way behind WSJ.

You can daily check the front pages of 800 newspapers from around the world at the link. Sortable by region.

Today

Old 11-22-2015, 03:51 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
But though that I still read the Daily Mail every day, I peek increasingly at the Daily Star. And, continually, I have to rebut or refute the national insinuations that accessing such 'rubbish' is akin to dealing with those in professions as base as estate-agency or the selling of cars. I'm afraid that the UK abounds with entrenched opinions, of which many competing nations are free
You cant claim all newspapers in the UK are the same, they are like chalk and cheese, obviously The Times is the 'best newspaper' however it is not the best selling, that honour goes to 'The Sun' which is more akin to a comic! Says a lot really, in my opinion the worst newspaper of all though is The Daily Mail, I hate that rag with a passion.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:03 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Best newspapers here in Italy in terms of quality are most certainly ones who appeal mainly to local crowds but who at the same time talk about national politics. I think it's a closely fought battle between Gazzetta del Mezzogiorno (Bari and Apulia as a whole), Stampa (Turin and the Northwest)

On a National level, it's Repubblica quite easily. It's the closer to giving a neutral outlook while Corriere della Sera is slightly shifted to the center-right. For economy, we've got IL SOLE 24 ORE which is probably up there with the Economist and other famous newspapers in terms of quality

Old 11-22-2015, 09:50 AM

^^ I don't 'claim' a thing, unless it belongs to me. And I certainly wouldn't say that The Times is the UK's best newspaper because, in terms of balance and depth of coverage, I'd opt for the Financial Times; and, in those of presentation or appeal, I'd go for the Daily Mail. But that doesn't mean that I revere the last, which seems to be entrenched with an aspiring middle-class outlook, even though that's considerably less stifling than it used to be. However, in terms of stultification or suffocation, British local papers are often worse than the Daily Mail

Old 11-23-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
^^ I don't 'claim' a thing, unless it belongs to me. And I certainly wouldn't say that The Times is the UK's best newspaper because, in terms of balance and depth of coverage, I'd opt for the Financial Times; and, in those of presentation or appeal, I'd go for the Daily Mail. But that doesn't mean that I revere the last, which seems to be entrenched with an aspiring middle-class outlook, even though that's considerably less stifling than it used to be. However, in terms of stultification or suffocation, British local papers are often worse than the Daily Mail
The Daily Mail is pure sensationalism, I know for a fact that it even makes stories up, I used to work for a woman who was 'seeing' one of its so called journalists, its a god awful newspaper, its hardly balanced either it is VERY right wing (hence all the sensationalism), there are many bad newspapers in the UK though. The Times is obviously the closest thing to a 'proper' newspaper, the Independent is supposed to be Independent I guess but I don't think I've ever read it so I don't know if that is true?

Old 11-23-2015, 11:03 AM

There'd be a difference between what a particular newspaper or its staff would do and what its agents would. In an event, you shouldn't make libelous or sweeping statements about a paper that's as reader-friendly or successful against its competitors as is the Daily Mail. For example, in its efforts to overcome the limits of its home-market, it appears to be establishing itself remarkably well as a world-wide title. For instance, many Americans read it regularly on the internet; and some radio shows, such as Sean Hannity, refer to it more favourably than to their native titles. Others, such as The Guardian, seem to be embarrassingly-poor in this ambition

Old 11-23-2015, 12:13 PM

545 posts, read 866,574 times
Western Europe and the US definitely have newspapers a rank above those in other countries. But it's kind of obvious best dailies would be located in countries with great press freedom and a population huge enough to have enough readers to allow investments in high quality reports.
The only countries, in my opinion, which lack such dailies are Australia and Canada. But it may due to the fact that American and British news also cover their countries which make it even harder for the local ones.
I can't speak of Japan because I don't know anything about the press there.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
There'd be a difference between what a particular newspaper or its staff would do and what its agents would. In an event, you shouldn't make libelous or sweeping statements about a paper that's as reader-friendly or successful against its competitors as is the Daily Mail. For example, in its efforts to overcome the limits of its home-market, it appears to be establishing itself remarkably well as a world-wide title. For instance, many Americans read it regularly on the internet; and some radio shows, such as Sean Hannity, refer to it more favourably than to their native titles. Others, such as The Guardian, seem to be embarrassingly-poor in this ambition
I know its a matter of taste of course, but in the UK I am certainly not the only one that feels this way about this particular 'rag', if you are a wealthy middle aged middle class Tory voting homeowner then you 'might' appreciate it more, its true what I say about made up stories and sensationalism too, particularly sensationalism. The Daily Mail is not the most successful newspaper in the UK by quite a margin, it may however be making a better hash of it with its international distribution, probably to other wealthy, middle aged, middle classed, right wing, homeowners of the world! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe