Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 03:39 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Most definitely Western European.
Of course, but it doesn't answer the question since western Europe is made of southern European countries (Spain, Italy, Portugal) and "northern" ones (Uk, Netherlands, Germany, etc.)...

Old 12-19-2015, 03:42 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Is the question relevent anyway ? The answer is never satisfying. France has more in common with Germany and Spain than it does with Poland or Macedonia. Hence why the west /east division makes (a little) more sense to me.

Also, i'd rather say south of Bordeaux.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:06 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,260 times
Southern France is more southern Europe than Northern france is northern Europe.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:31 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
Southern France is more southern Europe than Northern france is northern Europe.
Of course. Southern France is fully southern European(geography and culture) while northern France at best a "centralish area" with a romance language with some central and northern European influences.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:26 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Davy is right, if one takes the 45° North Latitude that crosses France in the middle as unity of measure, North of it is more northern Europe, South of it southern Europe. France is actually on the brink, more so then any European nation, hence the schizophrenic French charachter !
Even though Europe spans from 35N to about 75N.. 45N is the midway point for you?

Old 12-19-2015, 02:51 PM

319 posts, read 395,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Is the question relevent anyway ? The answer is never satisfying. France has more in common with Germany and Spain than it does with Poland or Macedonia. Hence why the west /east division makes (a little) more sense to me.

Also, i'd rather say south of Bordeaux.
What do Poland and Macedonia have in common though except language? You can now see Macedonia on google street view, to me it looks distinctly southern europe and nothing like Poland.....

Old 12-20-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Even though Europe spans from 35N to about 75N.. 45N is the midway point for you?
Not that much land / population above 60N though.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
What do Poland and Macedonia have in common though except language? You can now see Macedonia on google street view, to me it looks distinctly southern europe and nothing like Poland.....
They are not super similar but they are both different from western european countries i'd say

Old 12-20-2015, 07:40 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Geographically, Northern half of France is central-western, while the southern half is southh-western:

The northern half of France is at the latitudes of switzerland, Austria and southern Germany, that is not really "norhern" geographically speaking those places are the middle of European main landmass. Paris region, which is at french scale very "northern" is about at similar latitudes as Stuttgart, Vienna or Munich...
Only the little corner in the far north area around Lille is comparable latitudes with north-western Europe: UK, northern germany, belgium...

The southern half of France, south of La Rochelle, is clearly in southern Europe, lined with Italy

Culturally, with its romance language, catholic historical heritage, wine-culture, France has as special ties with other latin European countries, even is some northern regions have also some superficial cultural features (architecture, foods) or historical links with neighboring countries such as Germany in the north-east (alsace-lorraine), belgium/neitherlands in the Nord, England in Normandy or Cornwall/Wales with Britanny.
Geographically a good part of what is considered northern France lies north of Switzerland. Take a good look at your map!😄

Old 12-20-2015, 07:53 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Culturally not necessarily geographically. Geographically France is mainly a Western European country, the culture is Latin-derived thus Southern European.
latin-derived means nothing, just in your head saxonwold. and just in your head too the whole of France is the same (no don't even tell me you didn't say that, it's what you think, lumping all the regions in the same entity). go ask some Chtis how they feel or some Alsatians, and then come back, 'kay?

I know it's hard for you and you're armed with facts and stuff but you don't know France that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe