Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:51 PM

2,860 posts, read 5,233,560 times

Advertisements

Milions if people who do not speak a word of french visit our country every year... They manage to do all the basics things : shopping, visiting museums, train and bus...

We are not an anglophone culture but Most people can speak at least a few basic words of english, like me, i think that is enough to be able to communicate...

The only thing to do, to avoid be seen as an "ugly American" who thinks that the whole wotld should be like Texas is just to ask to people if they can speak english before talking to them in english... Most people will say "yes"
And saying hello. That's all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 12:56 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
A few years ago, I participated in a short-term study abroad program in Geneva, Switzerland. Interestingly, most of the people spoke very good English. Whenever I went out with friends, the restaurant staff conversed with us in English. We were asked to speak French only on two occasions. They didn't take offense, but seemed a little surprised that we weren't multi-lingual. I'm hoping that the French will be as gracious as the Swiss.
Geneva is unusual in that it has a huge expat population that works at the UN. It's also a much bigger tourist draw than most other parts of French Switzerland. On the other hand, Paris is one of the biggest tourist destinations in Europe, so you might be in luck. I find it helpful to try to meet people halfway, but that may no longer be necessary in the 21st Century. English is more widespread in Europe since the last time I was there, that's for sure. But you may find that French is necessary in grocery stores and small shops. I'll be interested to hear how your experiment goes. In any case, you seem to have the right attitude. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2015, 12:58 PM

562 posts, read 459,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Milions if people who do not speak a word of french visit our country every year... They manage to do all the basics things : shopping, visiting museums, train and bus...

We are not an anglophone culture but Most people can speak at least a few basic words of english, like me, i think that is enough to be able to communicate...

The only thing to do, to avoid be seen as an "ugly American" who thinks that the whole wotld should be like Texas is just to ask to people if they can speak english before talking to them in english... Most people will say "yes"
And saying hello. That's all

Merci, for the advice.

It's a good thing that I hail from New York. :P

Bonne nuit

Old 12-28-2015, 01:00 PM

562 posts, read 459,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Geneva is unusual in that it has a huge expat population that works at the UN. It's also a much bigger tourist draw than most other parts of French Switzerland. On the other hand, Paris is one of the biggest tourist destinations in Europe, so you might be in luck. I find it helpful to try to meet people halfway, but that may no longer be necessary in the 21st Century. English is more widespread in Europe since the last time I was there, that's for sure. But you may find that French is necessary in grocery stores and small shops. I'll be interested to hear how your experiment goes. In any case, you seem to have the right attitude. Good luck!
Thanks Ruth4Truth, I'm very excited about my upcoming vacation!!! I can't wait. I may decide to vlog the experience.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:46 PM

749 posts, read 848,075 times
Paris being a very cosmopolitan city, you will most likely be dealing with many people that are not french during your trip. As a result they will not take offense in your lack of French language command. Parisians will not take offense if you speak English to them, they will know you're a tourist. By the same token, while many people have at least basic knowledge of English, don't take it personally if people can't understand you, as not everyone's English skills are the same . Another important point to keep in mind is that unlike what the stereotype might say, people there do not hate Americans they are typically indifferent at worse.

Last edited by seixal; 12-28-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 05:24 PM

12,998 posts, read 13,579,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
A few years ago, I participated in a short-term study abroad program in Geneva, Switzerland. Interestingly, most of the people spoke very good English. Whenever I went out with friends, the restaurant staff conversed with us in English. We were asked to speak French only on two occasions. They didn't take offense, but seemed a little surprised that we weren't multi-lingual. I'm hoping that the French will be as gracious as the Swiss.
I've never been to Switzerland, but I can pretty much guarantee the French won't be as gracious as the Swiss when it comes to language. In most western European countries you can get by with just English -- even France and especially in Paris -- but the French will act the most put-out about it.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:34 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,174,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I've never been to Switzerland, but I can pretty much guarantee the French won't be as gracious as the Swiss when it comes to language. In most western European countries you can get by with just English -- even France and especially in Paris -- but the French will act the most put-out about it.
"but the French", lol, always make me laugh.

just say bonjour, excusez-moi, s'il vous plaît, bonne journée, each time you enter a shop or something, maybe English is widespread in the whole world, it doesn't mean tourists have the right to assume that they can get by without making any efforts. but you seem to have the basics, so no probs I'll guess.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:07 PM

12,998 posts, read 13,579,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
"but the French", lol, always make me laugh.

just say bonjour, excusez-moi, s'il vous plaît, bonne journée, each time you enter a shop or something, maybe English is widespread in the whole world, it doesn't mean tourists have the right to assume that they can get by without making any efforts. but you seem to have the basics, so no probs I'll guess.
My wife knows enough French to exchange pleasantries and carry on a very basic conversation. She always does the mannered thing and begins a conversation with a French person in French. Unfortunately, I don't have enough French to even do that. If anyone, not just a French person, doesn't want to hassle with speaking English to me I don't take any offense at all. That's their right. I feel badly when I impose on someone in this way.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:14 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Well, I've heard from several non-French-speaking visitors to Paris that people were rude to them, but that was a long time ago. This is why I'm so interested to hear how the OP fares during her visit.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:58 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I've heard from several non-French-speaking visitors to Paris that people were rude to them, but that was a long time ago. This is why I'm so interested to hear how the OP fares during her visit.
I've heard that a lot too, and even experienced it myself, but I think that occurs mostly in the extreme touristy places. I've found the French in the North, East and in the South West all very polite and friendly and always willing to help out in English if your French is not sufficient. In the South coast however, I experienced some pretty rude people.

One time my girlfriend at the time who spoke a good word of French, was really trying her best and the woman she tried talking to just rolled her eyes in annoyance with a deep sigh and threw the ticket at the counter in front of her we were so pissed off lol.

I think although in other places the French are very friendly and polite, this is what stays with people and gives the French a bad rep when it comes to language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe