Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:38 PM

38 posts, read 36,891 times

Advertisements

The reason I ask is because Hungarians seem to westernized, colder, more organized and industrious if you compare them to their eastern european slavic neighbors.

However compared to next door Austria, they seem eastern like.

They are kinda Italian like and have that colorful zest found in southern Europe but they are not really that southern, but not exactly northern like either.

It's strange because they have language similarities with the finns and estonians, but their cuisine, history is linked to Austria and Germany.

However they are next to the balkans and to ukraine, but also right next to the mediterranean Italy (Udine) is just a couple of hours away from Budapest, and pretty much next door to germanic Europe with tons of shared history with germany and mostly austria!

as far as the people, they are also just as varied, some looking kinda balkan, others look sort of italian, then you find these tall light blondes that look germanic but then you have tons who look slavic.

IT's a strange land!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Frankly, I don't see the connection with Italy nor are they particularly wealthy or industrialized compared to their neighbors. Also, there are no historic ties with Germany.

IMO you can't really compare Hungarian culture to anything else in Europe. It's pretty unique. And that's good.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:29 AM

202 posts, read 224,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauritania View Post
The reason I ask is because Hungarians seem to westernized, colder, more organized and industrious if you compare them to their eastern european slavic neighbors.

However compared to next door Austria, they seem eastern like.

Are you sure you are writing about Hungary ? Especially that part where you claim they are more industrialized and organized than their neighbors?. In terms of stability Hungary is one of the most problematic economy and one of the least productive in the region.

Industrial sector by country shows Hungary has lowest percentage among the central European nations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...er_hour_worked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...or_composition

Last edited by streetway; 12-30-2015 at 12:51 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 02:17 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauritania View Post

It's strange because they have language similarities with the finns and estonians, but their cuisine, history is linked to Austria and Germany.

However they are next to the balkans and to ukraine, but also right next to the mediterranean Italy (Udine) is just a couple of hours away from Budapest, and pretty much next door to germanic Europe with tons of shared history with germany and mostly austria!

as far as the people, they are also just as varied, some looking kinda balkan, others look sort of italian, then you find these tall light blondes that look germanic but then you have tons who look slavic.

IT's a strange land!
Do you think this

Has any shared history with this?

Old 12-30-2015, 02:22 AM

38 posts, read 36,891 times
austrohungarian empire? a lot of the cuisine

Old 12-30-2015, 03:42 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Can't say I know much about Hungary, but I'd place it exactly where it is. In the crossroads of Balkan and the North, West and East, Slavic and Germanic.

I know that Hungary have a deep attachment to Poland and vice versa.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:37 AM

55 posts, read 51,577 times
Yes, they are Austrohungarian, a shared history with Austria.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boert View Post
Yes, they are Austrohungarian, a shared history with Austria.
Yes, and?

Old 12-30-2015, 06:41 AM

55 posts, read 51,577 times
People from Hungary and also Tchekia have this profiund reverence to their Austrohungarian past, they love everything related to the period and that's their identity. More so regions in Txekia as Moravia, Bohemia, they are all a part of a culture no matter if languages are different. Just an impression.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 AM

213 posts, read 227,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I know that Hungary have a deep attachment to Poland and vice versa.

Huh? Half my family is Hungarian, I grew up knowing very many Hungarians, and I've never heard this at all.

Poland is an eastern, Slavic country and doesn't even share a border with Hungary. Hungarians like to pretend they're Westerners ("the Paris of Central Europe," don'tcha know?) and will constantly remind you that they're different (i.e., better) than their Slavic neighbors.

I'd say that, at least among my father's generation, there's more of an affinity for the Czechs - perhaps in part because of the similarities of 1956/1968.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe