Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:02 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
To be fair, both dishes (especially Blutwurst) can be extremely delicious. Blunzgröstl - fried bits of blood sausage with potatoes, onions, an egg and horse radish served with Sauerkraut - is probably my favourite winter dish.
I'm pretty picky when it comes to head cheese, though. Home made versions can contain some texturally funky bits... So I prefer those versions of "Sulz"/"Presswurst" without actual bits of head meat, which exist too. Also, lots of red wine vinegar and pumpkin seed oil. It's key to the dish
Pardon my lack of enthusiasm.

Just give me some good borshch, or stuffed cabbage rolls. I love the Central Asian/Mongolian steamed dumplings, full of juicy lamb or ground beef! You should try those, if you ever get the chance. Mongolian restaurants are starting to pop up here and there in the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 05:25 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
My wife and I are planning a vacation to Europe in April or May. We are considering two general trips: 1) Central Europe (Budapest, Prague, Vienna, Munchen) or Spain/Portugal. We have developed itineraries that are roughly equivalent in price.

I've been to the UK, Ireland and Belgium before, while she has never been to Europe. I know that it might still be cold/chilly in April in Central Europe, but this doesn't bother us. Our main focuses will be on history, architecture, food and meeting ordinary locals. To this end, we'd like to take day trips out of the major cities since in my experience smaller towns/villages are more "authentic" in some ways.

Which one would you all choose and why?
Honestly I don't think you would go wrong with either.
Perhaps food wise Spain and Portugal would be "better" but that is mostly my bias towards the Mediterranean cuisine and you can get exceptional food in Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Munich for sure! Speaking of those cities, you picked well if I might say so. Those are some great cities which lots to offer.

Which cities would be on your itinerary for Span and Portugal? If it is all the major ones like Lisbon, Porto, Madrid and Barcelona perhaps even Valencia and/or Sevilla then again I have to say you could not go wrong either way.

Architecture wise I might even lean towards Central Europe, with Vienna, Prague and Budapest being pretty impressive but the again Lisbon, Madrid and Barcelona are awesome, too...... also Lisbon and Barcelona have their ports....

Throw a coin!

Old 01-12-2016, 05:38 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Honestly I don't think you would go wrong with either.
Perhaps food wise Spain and Portugal would be "better" but that is mostly my bias towards the Mediterranean cuisine and you can get exceptional food in Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Munich for sure! Speaking of those cities, you picked well if I might say so. Those are some great cities which lots to offer.

Which cities would be on your itinerary for Span and Portugal? If it is all the major ones like Lisbon, Porto, Madrid and Barcelona perhaps even Valencia and/or Sevilla then again I have to say you could not go wrong either way.

Architecture wise I might even lean towards Central Europe, with Vienna, Prague and Budapest being pretty impressive but the again Lisbon, Madrid and Barcelona are awesome, too...... also Lisbon and Barcelona have their ports....

Throw a coin!
I think we're leaning towards Central Europe now and will probably save Spain/Portugal for later. We talked about Porto, Lisbon, Madrid and Barcelona. I wanted to make it a driving trip but ran into a few stumbling blocks, namely that I don't know how to drive a manual (autos are a lot more expensive) and my wife said that rentals couldn't go between countries.

We penciled in Sevilla when we heard that the Dornish scenes on Game of Thrones were filmed there. I wouldn't mind a trip up to the Basque country either. Then there is Galicia...

Too many options.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:54 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I think we're leaning towards Central Europe now and will probably save Spain/Portugal for later. We talked about Porto, Lisbon, Madrid and Barcelona. I wanted to make it a driving trip but ran into a few stumbling blocks, namely that I don't know how to drive a manual (autos are a lot more expensive) and my wife said that rentals couldn't go between countries.

We penciled in Sevilla when we heard that the Dornish scenes on Game of Thrones were filmed there. I wouldn't mind a trip up to the Basque country either. Then there is Galicia...

Too many options.
Well central Europe with the cities on your itinerary will (would) be a great choice!
Just regarding the rental issue, as long as you state that you want to take it to another country there should be no problem if you stay inside the EU. But the agency of your choice should be able to advice you on that. The only issues I can think of would be rental insurance for some countries.

Also to consider with driving is that while of course everything is closer but a drive from say, Lisbon to Madrid and Madrid to Barcelona would take you about 6 hrs each (rough estimation).
So having said that, what about trains? Have you considered those? You wouldn't have to worry about driving a manual and it would be quicker while you can relax in the onboard restaurant.

Also and that is of course just IMHO (as with everything else really) but if I would drive myself I would do that when traveling along the Côte d’Azur all the way to Italy and Genoa! So another trip for the future!

In any case have fun!

Old 01-13-2016, 05:41 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
The itinerary I would choose:

Fly to Vienna, Austria and stay for a minimum of 5 days. Then take the train to Salzburg, Austria and stay for five more days. Then take a bus to St Gilgen, Austria and stay for 5 more days. Then take the bus back to Salzburg and take the train to Venice, Italy, where you'll spend another five days. Then take the train to Milan and from there fly to Paris, France, where you'll spend another five days. Stay in a hotel on the Left Bank within walking distance of Notre Dame. Then fly back home.

Vienna and Paris are two of Europe's most beautiful large cities. Salzburg and Venice are two of Europe's most beautiful small cities. And St. Gilgen is a beautiful Alpine town on a lake. All of these towns are very walkable.

With 5 days spent at each of these, your trip would last 25 days plus travel time between each destination. Of course, it would be better to spend even more time. And the ideal time for your trip would be mid-June to mid-August.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:54 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,817 times
Rentals can go across borders but they do charge extra for it. There are also border stations where you have to go get a permit to drive in that country. I think it was Chzeck... I can't remember.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 364 times
If you wish to enjoy a totally different type of holiday this year by playing golf, going on sightseeing, taking the kids to theme parks, visiting the historical museums, or just want to laze away in the sands of beach, pack your bags to have a trip in Barcelona.

Barcelona is one of the richest cities of the world with several amazing attractions. It is quite fair if I say that if Spain is the crown of the globe, Barcelona is the diamond of his crown.

Book your "Holidays PACKAGES" from Villasbarcelona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe