Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:37 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,592 times

Advertisements

hey there,

I posted last summer about my daughter moving to Amsterdam from the US and got great advise regarding daily life questions.
She was able to rent a fully equipped room from the University (via duwo?), but the contract will be ending in july and there is no way to extend it.

she would love to move into an apartment with a friend but as you probably know best, the market is small and the demand is huge. another hurdle is that we are not a dutch family and many agencies have this as a requirement before even scheduling viewings.
we are providing her financial support and also put that in a letter, but she won't even get that far.
and most flats seem to be offered by agencies.

right now she is getting updates via plenty of facebook groups regarding housing in Amsterdam, but I wonder if there are other sources we just don't know of.

what would be a good website (or actual newspaper, if that's still a thing) to put an ad ourselves? we as a family were lucky and just scored a nice town home in Frankfurt/germany (yes, we are moving abroad as well!!!), because one landlord actually saw our ad. and sometimes one is enough.

I would appreciate any advise. thanks so much!

B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 10:48 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,841 times
The problem is, there's a big shortage in housing in Amsterdam, even for Dutch people. So to find an apartment for a foreign person would be nearly impossible, and if so very expensive. For this reason Dutch students (and also non students that leave home) rent a room. There are lots of houses where one can rent a room. There are complete houses of which all rooms are rented, but you can also rent a room of people who's kids left home.

Here's a few sites:

https://kamernet.nl/en/for-rent/room...oxcaAvOB8P8HAQ

https://studentexperience.nl/en

Within that sector there's a few options for bigger rooms with your own kitchen / toilet. We call that studios. Sometimes there's also the possibility of renting double rooms, so you have kind of a living room with bedroom.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:24 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times
I made good experiences with https://www.pararius.com/english

However, the rental market is very difficult in the Netherlands and in Amsterdam. This is primairly due to the fact that Dutch nationals get a lot of housing support including tax deductions on mortgages, so that it is much more reasonable to buy instead of renting.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:48 AM

thanks for your response. we actually have a similar situation here in Asheville NC .... it is lovely, number 1 retirement location, cool people, but due to absolutely not enough housing (and in addition not even 7.25/hour jobs to have). those cool people can't afford to live here anymore. and international students make amsterdam a vibrant place as well.
But I get that the government has to take care of dutch folks first.

thanks for the websites. I knew many already, pararius was new to me though.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:49 AM

douglas dakota, I am sorry you have to live in dull germany, lol. I can't wait to be back after 16 years for many reasons. where are you located?

Old 05-16-2017, 09:10 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
hey there,

we as a family were lucky and just scored a nice town home in Frankfurt/germany (yes, we are moving abroad as well!!!), because one landlord actually saw our ad. and sometimes one is enough.

I would appreciate any advise. thanks so much!

B.
We're practically neighbors :-)

Old 05-16-2017, 10:22 AM

ah, just translated Mannem. we are. we will be living 30 minutes south from Frankfurt. our kids will go to the Seeheim state international school.

i have been to the 'luisenpark' several times!

Old 05-16-2017, 10:27 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Quote:
ah, just translated Mannem. we are. we will be living 30 minutes south from Frankfurt. our kids will go to the Seeheim state international school.

i have been to the 'luisenpark' several times!
My sailing club where I am be found most weekends is in Biblis, quite close. Seenheim Is where the traffic always gets slow on the A5 �� I live in Mannheim Friedrichsfeld directly between Mannheim and Heidelberg.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:24 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
I doubt it has anything to do with not being 'a Dutch family'. I've studied in Amsterdam and there is a huge housing shortage indeed. Be prepared to pay $$$ (like 1500+ per month) or go live somewhere outside of Amsterdam and commute. In Rotterdam and Den Haag it is easier and cheaper to find accommodation but those cities are quite bad crime wise, run down and the trains are generally poor in the Netherlands.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times
Quote:
douglas dakota, I am sorry you have to live in dull germany, lol. I can't wait to be back after 16 years for many reasons. where are you located?
Currently, NRW and the Netherlands. Well, I think the grass is always greener on the other side. There are pros and cons everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I doubt it has anything to do with not being 'a Dutch family'. I've studied in Amsterdam and there is a huge housing shortage indeed. Be prepared to pay $$$ (like 1500+ per month) or go live somewhere outside of Amsterdam and commute. In Rotterdam and Den Haag it is easier and cheaper to find accommodation but those cities are quite bad crime wise, run down and the trains are generally poor in the Netherlands.
True, however dutch families/peoples have two advantages:
1.) Cheap mortgages and a long term plan to stay in the country, so that buying makes absolutely sense compared to renting
2.) Huurtoeslag, poorer Dutch people get additional money from the government to spend on rent, in case the rent is higher than a certain amount and the income is lower than a certain amount. That drives up the overall market and price level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe