Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 04:04 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL! Hey, I have a good idea for a new thread topic. How about:

Switzerland: Is it North or South Europe? Is it Central- or West European? Does it belong to the Germanic or the Latin world?

Now there's a challenge that should keep us all busy for awhile.

Hey, I have a even better idea! Stereotypes in Europe! Why do British have bad teeth, why do Finns drink so much, why are Spaniards lazy, why are the Dutch junkies?

And as a supplement: The happiest countries in 2015 ranks are out!

#1 Norway
#2 Denmark
#3 The Netherlands
#4 Canada
#5 Switzerland
#189 Colombia
#190 United States
#191 Cuba
#192 Thailand
#193 Brazil

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 06:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Hey, I have a even better idea! Stereotypes in Europe! Why do British have bad teeth, why do Finns drink so much, why are Spaniards lazy, why are the Dutch junkies?

And as a supplement: The happiest countries in 2015 ranks are out!

#1 Norway
#2 Denmark
#3 The Netherlands
#4 Canada
#5 Switzerland
#189 Colombia
#190 United States
#191 Cuba
#192 Thailand
#193 Brazil

Wait, where are the Slavic countries in your rankings? You're anti-Slav! I should have known to expect that from a Finn! I suppose we're not good enough to merit space at the bottom of your barrel? I'm going to report your topic for fomenting anti-Slavism! We'll see what the UN Human Rights Council has to say about you, you good-for-nothing ungrateful Suomalainen! We raised up your muddy little country of trees, tundra and puddles and made something of it! And this is how you thank us??!!!! Go back to your sauna, and leave the forum to the real intellectuals. And btw, you'd better beef up your border patrol after throwing this insult at us.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-16-2016 at 07:14 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 03:17 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,200 times
I guess it's understandable that the far right should be unhappy about violence against sexual minorities by Muslims - beating/blow up queers is their job, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copeland

OK, let me drop the sarcasm, because I know some of you are too thick to get it: it's absolutely pathetic how people of a political persuasion that has always sought to beat back rights for sexual minorities, and which has bread most of Europe's violent homophobes, is now attempting to use gay and trans rights as a platform for its campaign against Muslims. And, it's totally transparent.

Or, the OP must be some sort of IS PR goon - but their attempt to talk up a grubby little hate crime into some sort of religious coup is pretty thin gruel.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:51 AM

69 posts, read 58,071 times
There are cover ups and biased stories in the media from everywhere. This includes the BBC which receives money from the EU ( BBC admits receiving millions in grants from EU and councils - Telegraph ), and for the migration crises, it likes to display lots of sad pictures of kids and women when we all know that the vast majority of migrants are young, fit, fighting age males.

So, it's a shame when you may get some non-stories like those that have been raised in this thread that may equally distort the picture in the arguments against the viewpoints of those on the left (such as the BBC).

I suppose all we can do is try to be analytical as possible, and discuss various articles by sharing information, so that the truth can be known.

It's interesting what the Czech Republic Deputy PM recently said, and practically reflects my own perspective:

[BEGIN QUOTE]
"Andrej Babiš: Czech Republic will not accept any refugees
16. 1. 2016
1 8 Google +0 0 0

The impact of the migration crisis has changed so much that accepting refugees from the Middle East in the Czech Republic is out of the question, says the oligarch, Czech Deputy Prime Minister and Czech Finance Secretary Andrej Babiš (himself an immigrant from Slovakia).

"Just as Slovakia has demanded, the European Union should organise an extraordinary summit to deal with the refugee attacks in Cologne and other cities. Such a summit should be in session, permanently, for 24 hours a day, until the EU politicians finally act," said Babiš in an interview for the Právo daily on Saturday 16th January. He continued:

"The flow of the refugees must be firmly stopped in Turkey before the European border. It must be stopped completely. The internal Schengen borders must be sealed. We also must fight the people smugglers - it is not permissible that the police in Izmir should oversee the continuing illegal business with rubber boats after Turkey has been given 3 billion euros by the European Union. Merkel has just invited these people to come, prior to that they were waiting for peace in the camps in Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan. If some countries still want to accept refugees, they should fly them into their own countries. Europe must send a message that it is full and no more people should be coming."

"We are not dutibound to accept anyone and we are not even now able to do so. Our primary responsibility is to make sure that our own citizens are safe. The Czech Republic has enough of its own problems, people living on the breadline, single mothers. The West European politicians keep repeating that it is our duty to comply with what the immigrants want because of their human rights. But what about the human rights of the Germans or the Hungarians? Why should the British accept that the wealth which has been created by many generations of their ancestors, should be consumed by people without any relationship to that country and its culture? People who are a security risk and whose desire it is not to integrate but to destroy European culture?

The public service media in some countries have been brainwashing people. They have been avoiding problems with the immigrants. Politicians have also been lying to their citizens. This has only increased tension between the indigenous population and the immigrants. It is not acceptable that Europeans should have fewer rights than immigrants.

It is unthinkable that the indigenous European population should adapt themselves to the refugees. We must do away with such nonsensical political correctness. The refugees should behave like guests, that is they should be polite, and they certainly do not have the right to choose what they want to eat. Europe and Germany in particular are undergoing an identity crisis. There is a deep chasm between what people think and what the media tell them. We will learn what the real views of the citizens are in the next elections. You will see to what extent people approve of Mrs. Merkel's policies.
Many of the Middle Eastern refugees are unusable in industry. Many of them are also basically illiterate and they only know two German politicians - Merkel and Hitler.
"

- See more at: Andrej Babi?: Czech Republic will not accept any refugees | 16. 1. 2016 | Britské listy

Last edited by Oxidize; 01-17-2016 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: Trying to make the quote more distinct.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 AM

786 posts, read 811,587 times
The incident may be more serious than the likes of Ariete would have us believe because the Police have made arrests. And my experience of the German Police is that they are too easygoing. Discrediting newspapers such as the Daily Mail or Jerusalem Post is easy for those who fancy themselves. Anyway, here's another report

German transgender women

Old 01-17-2016, 05:43 AM

I have another example of pro-migration propaganda by the Economist. The Economist is reputed to be a respectable publication. However, they printed an article yesterday on the current migration crises, and in the comments section, the readers rips it to shreds!

Refugees in Germany, Cologne’s aftershocks:
Cologne

The best rated comment reads:

[BEGIN QUOTE]
"Dear Economist,
I have been a reader and subscriber to this magazine for more than twenty years, appreciating both the thorough, fact based analysis of many of the subjects presented and the high quality of the prose.

That is why I am particularly dismayed by your reporting in general concerning the issue of immigration into Europe where you constantly promote the idea that apparently any form of immigration is good for the host countries.

As a well integrated immigrant myself (Ireland to France when I was 18), it’s an idea that I was not intrinsically hostile to but my experience in recent years in France, Belgium the Netherlands and Germany now has me worried that by promoting this idea, you are actively promoting the destruction of most of what is presently good about Europe.

Based on this I suggest that rather than continuing promoting the idea that the sort of immigration we are presently experiencing in Europe is good, without providing any fact based analysis to support it, you do one of your generally excellent in-depth studies on the subject.

Leaving aside the humanitarian dimension of the issue, here is a, non-exhaustive, list of the questions I suggest this study should address:
1.Average socio-economic profiles of the immigrants who are presently pouring into Europe (Age, gender, education…) bearing in mind that most come from countries where mean number of years of education vary between 4 and 6 compared to 12 – 13 for European kids? See | Human Development Reports

2. Employment rates for such immigrants after 2 years, 5 years , 10 years etc.. and the nature of the employment ie. earning enough to pay taxes or still taking more out of the system than they are putting in?

3. Same questions for 2nd generation immigrants by ethnic origin?

4. Why we even need such immigration when we already have huge levels of unemployment, especially youth unemployment, in most European countries?

5. Average “integration costs” for such immigrants (free housing, language courses, professional training, health care, living expenses….) ?

6. Average numbers of family members brought in later under family reunification rules?

7. Impact on public finances (and deficits) of this immigration?

8. Ability of our existing welfare states to cope ( financial and human resources) with the ever increasing demands that are being placed on them?

9. Potential impact of creeping islamisation on generally secular, tolerant and open societies?

10. Percentage of crimes (both violent and non-violent) committed by 1st and 2nd generated immigrants?

11. Security costs of keeping immigrant communities under surveillance due to high risk of Islamic terrorism, crime etc..?

When I see clear and positive answers to these questions which, BTW our politicians should also be asking, I will be far more receptive towards the arguments for allowing mass immigration to continue. For now, unfortunately, I see it mostly as an unmitigated disaster which is going to get far worse before it gets better leading to a continuing increase in extremism on all sides.

So, when do we get a properly researched in-depth article on the subject?"

And the second comment states:

So if over one million people from a culture that is not known for assimilating enter a country and some of them exhibit lawless behavior, why are people in the host country called racists and xenophobes for objecting? Are they expected to ignore assaults in the interests of multiculturalism? Should the authorities continue trying to hide crime so people in the host country will not erupt in more bigotry? Do German people need to change their culture to avoid giving offense and thus provoke more behaviors they will have to ignore? Shaming people into tolerating those who flout Germany's norms and laws is a good reason people are infuriated by political correctness.

Last edited by Oxidize; 01-17-2016 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 05:58 AM

827 posts, read 631,518 times
cultural enruchissement at his best.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:19 AM

Deleted.

Last edited by Oxidize; 01-17-2016 at 07:03 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 07:04 AM

861 posts, read 852,442 times
I just feel sad that Muslims have now become the modern Bogeyman. The thing is when I as a black male argued that Racism was ever present in countries like Germany and in Scandinavia I was shouted down as an individual looking for problems.

Sorry but the sheer number of race bait threads against Arabs/migrants is shocking. To make my point clearer, I remember chillin with some German girls back in my student days, a conversation started about Turkish people. It was quite negative and mid flow a German girl declared she hated Turkish people. When I asked her why, she said it was because she had been raped by one. Everyone nodded in agreement as if that was ok. I stared her straight in the eyes and told her she was an idiot and a racist bigot. Everyone was startled, I explained when I was kid in the late 80s I was jumped by racist kids from East London and they beat the **** out of me. I have scars on my face till this day. Does that mean I hate white people? Nope I hate racist dicks thats all. So yeah the guy who raped you was Turkish so what, he is rapist arsewhole and his ethnic group has bugger all to do with it. The seed of hatred was already there, with the attack you then felt it gave you justification to demonise a whole group of people? There was a stunned silence, then a good number of the group nodded in agreement and acknowledged my point.

Yes some migrants are misbehaving, but but even a 1000 is a small number out of a bloody million. If you want to blame anyone have a go at your politicians who brought them in with out any plans on helping them to assimilate! Fact is all of these race bait threads say more about the opinions of the poster than the people being described..

Last edited by nograviti; 01-17-2016 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 07:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

However, if you read the history of strictly religious christian sects, such as those in Salem--there were stonings as a punishment. There are many who claim it is condoned in the bible.
Just to clarify - the events in Salem happened nearly 400 years ago. Western society has evolved significantly since then. Islamic societies - not so much in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe