Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Canary Island city do you prefer - Tenerife or Gran Canaria?
Tenerife 6 33.33%
Gran Canaria 3 16.67%
Neither 2 11.11%
Both 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Which Canary Island city do you prefer - Tenerife or Gran Canaria?

...and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 11:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
THE POLL RESULTS SO FAR...

2 for Tenerife, and 2 for both...

0 for Gran Canaria over Tenerife...I don't know what that means!

Honestly, name recognition alone, I really only knew of Tenerife. But Gran Canaria is about the same population. Not sure how different they'd actually be to visit...anyone want to chime in on that?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:37 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
I could ask why anyone would want to visit the Canary Islands? Hopeless tourist traps filled with the worst of the worst working-class Northern and Central Europeans who eat fish and chips in a "local" restaurant and then go to the closest "Finland bar" and the most exotic thing they experience is a drink with an parasol. The rest of your trip you will be avoiding puke piles the Germans left last night and being harassed by illegal immigrants selling some fake watches.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-20-2016 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-18-2016, 12:47 PM

75 posts, read 102,024 times
I live in Lanzarote and lived in Fuerteventura for a while. Both are nice islands to visit, they should be on the list too. I've never been to Tenerife, but have been to Gran Canaria. I was only there to sort out paperwork at the consulate, so didn't get to see much during my 2 day stay. I think I did a bit of shopping, there was a better selection of stores there than where I was living.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:15 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Tenerife just as I know a guy living there, otherwise never been to either.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:37 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
I would prefer Tenerife, because there are more things to visit and nature is better, you have the Teide, the island is green and it is more exotic.
Gran Canaria is not bad, but landscapes are not beautiful, a couple of nice villages and a good beach, the dunes and that is all.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:44 PM

595 posts, read 719,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I could ask why anyone would want to visit the Canary Islands? Hopeless tourist traps filled with the worst of the worst working-class Northern and Central Europeans who eat fish and chips in a "local" restaurant and then go to the closest "Finland bar" and the most exotic thing they experience is a drink with an parasol. The rest of your trip you will be avoiding puke piles the Germans left last night and being harassed by illegal immigrants selling some fake watches.
I guess you're being ironic.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-20-2016 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 01-18-2016, 01:44 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
Then try the Canary Isle of La Gomera.

You might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:37 PM

75 posts, read 102,024 times
I agree, that image doesn't really reflect how things are here. It's not like that where I live, anyway.

I have only been to 3 of the 7 islands. One of these days I'd like to see them all. I was thinking about doing a proper trip to Gran Canaria in the near future. My husband lived/worked in Tenerife many years ago way before we met and he said he didn't care for it, but it could have just been the area where he was working.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:22 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
Quote:
I've alway been curious about the Canaries. They're relatively near an island that I love, Madeira. But then I see remarks like the above and others as brutally as candid, and I'm put off. I don't like package tour places and endless commercialized beaches. So I wonder. Perhaps some of the other lesser known and visited islands may be worth a trip.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe