Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:17 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Yeah well Germany leaving the EU is a viable option too.I won't complain at all if this happens.
I don't want to sound like an anti-UK obsessed maniac who supports eagerly France/Germany as there is NO reason for me to support them.
Only problem...Germany control the EU and won't let anyone leave unless it's country of their rank: such as UK. It's like expecting Russia to leave the USSR back in the days. With that being said, westerners(germans) shouldn't overestimate their influence over EE, because we've seen it happen before (pre 1945...).

To those unaware how is this related to the benefits supposed issue: Well, no EU = no conspiracy theory of benefits.

It's absurd to say that Germany controls the EU. And what this for a BS that Germany should leave the EU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:36 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
It's absurd to say that Germany controls the EU. And what this for a BS that Germany should leave the EU?
Then who?? Even kids know the EU is run by France/Germany and the UK is acting as an opposition.
Bulgaria, Romania and the better-off EE(Central) states are used solely for cheap manual labour, market to sell old german cars, stuff etc. or easy targets for spreading propaganda.

Like I said: Germany won't leave as it benefits from it greatly...which defies the need for conspiracy theories of the "evil eastern europeans". So since Germany can pass any rule it wants, even today with the UK still in the union.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:56 PM

749 posts, read 855,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post

In a world where there is nothing for nothing, I really wonder why Germany would accept contributing to the EU the large sums of money Germans often complain about if they didn't get anything bigger and greater in return. I strongly suspect that the "return on investment" isn't humanistic satisfaction, or the defense western/democratic values, but rather something much materialistic. Germans know better and there's nothing wrong with that, but let's just cut the hypocrisy.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
In a world where there is nothing for nothing, I really wonder why Germany would accept contributing to the EU the large sums of money Germans often complain about if they didn't get anything bigger and greater in return. I strongly suspect that the "return on investment" isn't humanistic satisfaction, or the defense western/democratic values, but rather something much materialistic. Germans know better and there's nothing wrong with that, but let's just cut the hypocrisy.
Is it that they are getting cheap labor and people to pay into the taxes? This is from 2009:Germany's ageing population heading for massive decline - The Local
But the population of working age people in is expected to drop by as much as 34 percent by 2060, forcing greater immigration in order to prop up the country's generous welfare system for elderly Germans

Old 02-11-2016, 03:18 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,260 times
Quote:
Pretty much. Unless Merkel is Dalai Lama just likes giving money to other European countries I see no reason to believe it's just "because we're Christians" argument.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:52 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,009 times
Quote:
Germany is of course profiting from the EU. Just like every other country in the EU. But they are certainly not in for it to control other countries as some people here seem to suggest.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:22 PM

749 posts, read 855,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Germany is of course profiting from the EU. Just like every other country in the EU. But they are certainly not in for it to control other countries as some people here seem to suggest.
Do you really think Germany and say Greece benefit from the EU the same way? If EU countries trade mainly between them how can they all achieve a positive trade balance? It just impossible
I don't think Germany controls everything in others countries. Germany doesn't care if x country votes to allow gay marriage or similar types of questions but it definitely imposes directives through the EU chain of command to ensure its best interest is maintained. Remember how Greece had to negotiate with Germany like an work-union tried to bargain with the company's board of directors. Varoufakis, though democratically elected was mysteriously kicked out. Just look at Poland who elected a euro-skeptic government and is already getting heat for it.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:34 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,009 times
I never said that they profit from the EU the same way. They are so many factors - both on the side of the EU and domestic factors - that determine how much country X is profiting from it. But yes, I think all of the countries can achieve a positive trade balance. Pretty much proven since David Ricardo and further developed through the ages.

And yes, I remember the (ongoing) Greek debt crisis and Varoufakis. It was not only Germany who was involved in the bargaining. No, also the whole EU - consisting of its various member states - and the IMF. Why did they have to bargain? Because previous democratically elected Greek governments were unsustainably lending money from many countries. Germany happened to be one of the main lenders.

Now, since they couldn't repay on their own they could either default or borrow more money to pay off debts. Both are viable options. Defaulting would have had terrible consequences, but it would have put an end to the discussions and would have enabled a thorough revamp of their system. Considering the rather obscure policies that Syriza proposed, I doubt the revamp would have been very sustainable either.

Now, they decided not to default. Which means they had to borrow more money from foreign countries. Now, foreign governments aren't stupid and knew that Greece wouldn't be able to repay new debt without reforms.
Varoufakis and the lenders were on the same boat with that, but their ideas on how to restructure Greece were diverging greatly. In the end, Varioufakis lost and Syriza had to break some promises they made before the elections. It's not a mystery why he was kicked out. He faced opposition from his own party. And they couldn't get any new money. Even though he is a professor teaching game-theory, he was a terrible poker player.

Now, as to Poland: they don't really get that much **** just because they are euro-sceptic. They are getting **** for domestic policies. And rightly so, in my opinion. What we see is a party trying to maintain its influence eternally. The rule of law? Rechtsstaat? Nah...

Old 02-12-2016, 06:48 AM

994 posts, read 1,236,733 times
Next in the series:

'My friend recently told me that we live on a thing called a planet, which is in a kind of thing called space, and light comes from this ball called the sun. Here's how I think the sun works.'

I mean, jeez. Even by local standards, the level of knowledge displayed by the op is miserable.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:55 AM

426 posts, read 393,871 times
If welfare shopping would be possible, Romanians would probably not dig in my dumpster like they do now.

How could that be?
Hhere we also have a large number of Romanian scavengers and beggars.
What is the total number of Romanian scavengers and beggars?
How can they cover a continent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe