U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2016, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Southern Italy
2,986 posts, read 1,968,151 times
Reputation: 1455

Advertisements

A deal was sealed to convince the Tories to campaign over a stay in EU. That should most likely guarantee that Uk will still be in the EU come next year as most Tories will campaign to stay inside the Union while Labours look split on the issue. Here's what Cameron got off of the deal

I think this is negative as pretty much most countries could now leverage the EU over a potential exit in the future. This gives the Front National and eurosceptic parties further hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2016, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Washington State
15,458 posts, read 8,093,391 times
Reputation: 13216
It doesn't seem like he got that much to me. UK will still need to decide if staying makes sense considering the benefits and liabilities. The UK probably has more leverage than any other country to get exceptions so I don't expect this opens the door to other nations as much as it would seem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 06:57 AM
 
1,560 posts, read 1,372,745 times
Reputation: 1953
I hope with all my heart that Britain goes out the EU, enough with their whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,604,734 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I hope with all my heart that Britain goes out the EU, enough with their whining.
When did you become such a grumpy old man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in Southern Italy
2,986 posts, read 1,968,151 times
Reputation: 1455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
When did you become such a grumpy old man?
That's true

He isn't wrong on this matter though, Britain has held EU hostage since Thatcher's rise. We can keep going even without them but now they get to have a special status since European parliament's economic policies won't be valid towards all the financial istitutions registered in the City. They have been basically blackmailing EU for years now and EU finally gave in to their requests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Europe
69 posts, read 41,751 times
Reputation: 105
To those what want the UK to exit, I'll be happy to oblige by ticking the LEAVE box

No offence to the wonderful people in the rest of Europe, but I feel the UK would be better off out of the EU.

The polls at the moment are showing a mixed picture. Poll results that are collected online tend to show more people for leave, but poll results that are collected by telephone are showing more people for remain.

Anyway, the referendum isn't until June, so the mood can easily change either way yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in Southern Italy
2,986 posts, read 1,968,151 times
Reputation: 1455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxidize View Post
To those what want the UK to exit, I'll be happy to oblige by ticking the LEAVE box

No offence to the wonderful people in the rest of Europe, but I feel the UK would be better off out of the EU.

The polls at the moment are showing a mixed picture. Poll results that are collected online tend to show more people for leave, but poll results that are collected by telephone are showing more people for remain.

Anyway, the referendum isn't until June, so the mood can easily change either way yet.
I think that leaving wouldn't be beneficial for you as there wouldn't be a free trade agreement anymore and the UK would suddenly stop sharing a common market with the rest of Europe causing the fall of exports but then again several European countries could also suffer a (not as) hard blow.

I think the REMAIN will win but given how most British Prime Ministers have been behaving (Tony Blair looks the exception in most recent times) and how much faith they have shown in everything that's been put forward by EU's parliament. They clearly don't believe in the European project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Europe
69 posts, read 41,751 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I think that leaving wouldn't be beneficial for you as there wouldn't be a free trade agreement anymore and the UK would suddenly stop sharing a common market with the rest of Europe causing the fall of exports but then again several European countries could also suffer a (not as) hard blow.

I think the REMAIN will win but given how most British Prime Ministers have been behaving (Tony Blair looks the exception in most recent times) and how much faith they have shown in everything that's been put forward by EU's parliament
a) Trade is one of main arguments for staying in - and is a big one. However, outside of the EU, the UK can then have more favorable trade deals with the commonwealth countries instead, and there are countries around the world that do trade outside of trading blocks.

b) Another reason to remain is that the British can live and work in other European countries without the hassle of visas.

c) I think there is also the argument 'better the devil you know'.


On the other hand, some arguments for leave:

- Our immigration levels are so high. We are now increasing by 335,000 people per year, and we are only small islands. Everything in the UK is creaking trying to cope with a shortage of accommodation, GPs, school places, creaking infrastructure, etc, etc.

- The EU is expensive for us, it's bloated, it takes too long for decisions to be made, and it is increasingly becoming authoritarian. It's also looking like Germany, as the strongest economy in the EU, is now the de facto leader of the EU. And the unvoted for Juncker comes across as Germany's lap dog.

- TTIP is another reason to vote out. I think it would be much easier to avoid getting into this with just one layer of government rather than trying to avoid it with the EU trying to overrule our own government.

- Not having UK laws overwritten by EU laws. As an example, we have a serial rapist who we can't deport as he is using the European Court of Human Rights to try to avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 11:40 AM
 
2,170 posts, read 1,407,957 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I hope with all my heart that Britain goes out the EU, enough with their whining.
+1.

Though...at least you're from Italy which is seen very favourably in the UK. Imagine the case when you're from Eastern European country and they blame all their problems on you while looking for an excuse to bring more Syrian refugees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Europe
69 posts, read 41,751 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
+1.

Though...at least you're from Italy which is seen very favourably in the UK. Imagine the case when you're from Eastern European country and they blame all their problems on you while looking for an excuse to bring more Syrian refugees.
Who exactly blames Eastern European countries for all problems in the UK, and makes excuses for bringing Syrian refugees?

It doesn't sound like any fellow Brits that I know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top