Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:08 AM

184 posts, read 221,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Belgium is very related to Spain, culture, history and language is romance. There's also a strong relationship with Flanders.
I speak about atmosphere. The atmosphere in Spain is the not the same as in the Flanders.

There are cultural relationships between all the countries of western europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 05:22 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurrdim View Post
I speak about atmosphere. The atmosphere in Spain is the not the same as in the Flanders.
For me as an Spaniard, the atmosphere in Spain is not the same as in Flanders or northern France, but most of the southwest, especially Aquitaine and Limousin have a strong "Iberian" atmosphere.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 AM

Yep, it has probably a lot in common with southwestern France as Asquitaine. I think Montpellier or Carcassonne are similar to northern Spain.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:45 AM

426 posts, read 393,871 times
Quote:
Yep, it has probably a lot in common with southwestern France as Asquitaine. I think Montpellier or Carcassonne are similar to northern Spain.

Carcasonne or Carcasona is very similar to Catalonia, probably also to Aragon. I remember that as a student we went by bus for a few days, and our guide spoke French with a tremendous Catalan (Occitan?) accent. We receive many buses from Carcasonne and they are impossible to distinguish from people from Catalan inner counties.

Also Avignon, Montpellier, etc.

Les demoiselles d'Avignon are not really from Avingon..

I think (not sure) that Aquitaine is related with the Basque country, also Gascogne and Navarre and with Spanish Atlantic Coast, which is green and rainy. Bretagne...Galicia

Old 02-28-2016, 05:46 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,189,916 times
that's because of the occitan feel. and the basque feel too. i am not even doing any efforts to write correctly.

oops, Krokodill's post yeah, sorry, i'm too slow.

people in the southwest/south generally have a strong accent. well, except for some, they don't have any. i don't have one for example.

i think i'm off-topic, woohoo.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 02-28-2016 at 05:54 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 05:54 AM

426 posts, read 393,871 times
Quote:

There are cultural relationships between all the countries of western europe.

There are many atmospheres in Spain, as the country is as diverse that barely exists. Not a Jacobin country, Bourbons failed to unify the country and once, during the 19th century, the country broke in 40 cantons. So no definitive atmosphere, not even within regions. Belgium and Flanders were part of the Spanish empire more time than some parts of Spain. Later, they were invaded by France, though.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:02 AM

As northern France was once austrian, then belonged to the low countries...

In France there is no definitive atmosphere too. If you only look at the different countrysides and cities in France, you could imagine that it's different countries.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:05 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't look stereotypically Latin, and that's why I got the comment.
I don't believe you got 'that comment' at all.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:37 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't believe you got 'that comment' at all.
You don't have to believe me. But, it did happen, and I also got a plastic water bottle thrown at me. Bunch of chavs drove by and yelled it at me. Sorry but the UK is one of the most tolerant places ever is only tolerant if you aren't in the receiving end

Old 02-28-2016, 06:13 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,136 times
I think you have to explain exactly what you mean by Latin.

In Europe it means you speak a Latin language (French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian) or of Iberian or Italian descent while Latin in America means you are a Spanish speaker or from Latin America.

Not all Latin Americans look the same: some are pure Native, European, mestizo, or mulatto. I am of mestizo descent but in most Mediterranean countries, I could easily blend into the crowd to a degree, although Northern Italy was very picky and discriminatory to anyone who did not look Central European, they even discriminate against their fellow Italians from the Southern parts and Sicily!

Not that I disagree with what you went through in the UK, since I went through something similar due to my non-Northern European appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe