Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:31 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
That's bad, they can provoke more problems. They should ne mute.
Holkeri, Aho, Lipponen and Stubb have been very vocal that Finns have to study more languages. English will never be the only language of communication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 04:33 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Albert Rivera is a candidate
Having a Catalan PM could probably unify the country and force the secessionist project to come to a halt. It would be interesting to see how Rivera would handle the situation if the secessionists kept polling well and got what they wanted at the referendum.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:33 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Our President speaks Finnish, Swedish, English and French.
Our Prime Minister speaks Finnish, English and acceptable Swedish.

I'm surprised they don't speak Hungarian as well. Finnish and Hungarian are both Ugric languages.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:32 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
All your loser presidents might or might not speak English, but super-Putin SINGS in English.
So there)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywNkiQTky3o

Old 02-28-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I'm surprised they don't speak Hungarian as well. Finnish and Hungarian are both Ugric languages.
Why would Finns speak Hungarian? Makes as much sense that a Swedish PM would speak Greek as they are both Indo-European languages.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Having a Catalan PM could probably unify the country and force the secessionist project to come to a halt. It would be interesting to see how Rivera would handle the situation if the secessionists kept polling well and got what they wanted at the referendum.
No, it wouldn't unify anything. Baby-face cannot solve a thing.

Catalans made their choice first when they voted for JxSí and second when they had Podemos as the majoritary party.

Last edited by Arigarisha; 02-28-2016 at 06:30 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 04:41 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
No, it wouldn't unify anything. Baby-face cannot solve a thing.

Catalans made their choice first when they voted for JxSí and second when they had Podemos as the majoritary party.
So you think that they will veer more and more towards secession? I don't know enough of Podemos positions towards independence but JxSì is obviously the main proponent of it and marks another step towards independence or more of a special status withing Spain at least

Old 02-28-2016, 05:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
So you think that they will veer more and more towards secession? I don't know enough of Podemos positions towards independence but JxSì is obviously the main proponent of it and marks another step towards independence or more of a special status withing Spain at least
They will veer more towards secession if the problem's not handled properly, and Rivera is not the man for that. Him being Catalan doesn't really mean much.
Podemos wants a referendum. Pablo Iglesias wants Catalonia to stay, but won't be inflexible about it.

P.S.: Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Improb, plz. You can never use the grave accent for an I in Catalan smh.

Last edited by Arigarisha; 02-28-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 09:24 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why would Finns speak Hungarian? Makes as much sense that a Swedish PM would speak Greek as they are both Indo-European languages.
Perhaps I was thinking Hungarian and Finnish were closer than they really are. They're both Ugric, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Perhaps I was thinking Hungarian and Finnish were closer than they really are. They're both Ugric, if I'm not mistaken.
Hungarian and Finnish are very far from each other, not reminding each other at all. I think the Greek - Swedish comparison is quite close in how far. Or maybe German and Spanish. Additionally, Hungary and Finland doesn't really have any close contact, so speaking the other language would be next to useless.

Hungarian is an Ugric language, Finnish a Finnic language. The difference is as big as between Romance and Germanic languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe