Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

So, are Americans supposed to care about what Germans think of them? Do Europeans care about what Americans think of them?

Re: cars, I prefer Japanese anyway. Give me a Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus over a BMW or Volkswagen any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 04:10 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So, are Americans supposed to care about what Germans think of them? Do Europeans care about what Americans think of them?

Re: cars, I prefer Japanese anyway. Give me a Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus over a BMW or Volkswagen any day.
I think the world should are what other people think but not to respond with emotion or be offended. Apathy is not the path we want to go down

Old 04-17-2016, 06:16 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
German TV is pretty bad, except for news programs and documentaries. German music is better, though.

I don't watch much TV. I think at least 90% of the TV program is fully rubbish. A very dumb acquaintance likes to watch CSI crime series and Navy CIS. But he absolutely don't like Tatort. Accordingly I would think that Tatort is better than CSI. Maybe I'm wrong, I think I have never watched a CSI episode.

I have seen quite a lot of episodes of Degrassi (I think it's Canadian, not sure). It's kind of soap opera for teenagers. It's rather violence-glorifying. It seems absolute acceptable when the admired hero use violence to succeed. It's shocking what kids and teenagers learn in the U.S. from TV series. Schloss Einstein is definitely better.

But overall I'm unable to judge German or American TV. I barely watch TV. I would prefer if they would ban 90% of the TV program, or they could ban private television stations. Because it's one of the main reason why so many humans are so dumb.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:59 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
people have bad views of our cities and alot of our culture but our technology and economy is not disregarded .

Old 04-18-2016, 01:49 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
people have bad views of our cities and alot of our culture but our technology and economy is not disregarded .
Santa Barbra California is pretty good

Old 04-18-2016, 05:57 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
At the current exchange rate, fast food in Germany is somewhat cheaper at the moment. Food at grocery stores is significant cheaper in Germany. That's also the reason why fast food and dining out in general is much more popular in the U.S. The price difference between dining out and food at grocery stores is much smaller in the U.S. than it is in Germany and most other European countries.

Most German exchange students, that lived in the U.S. for a year, really like the American people. Americans have the reputaton for beeing outgoing and very friendly. Exchange students also like the very different fast food options.
I've lived there and found the people warm and inviting as long as the discussion is not about American Politics...

That said I was there shorty after Obama became president and I had total strangers striking up a conversation and shaking my hand saying how happy they are for America.

I've also hosted exchange students and none would trade their time in American... not a one wanted to move here permanently... the common reason is America is so competitive and people work to hard.

One of my students said the lowest Apprentice in Austria gets about 6 weeks of holiday annually...

I could live there without issue... it just depends on expectations...

Old 04-18-2016, 09:42 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One of my students said the lowest Apprentice in Austria gets about 6 weeks of holiday annually...
The Urlaubsgesetz (Annual Leave Entitlement Law) is applicable to both apprentices and regular workers and stipulates a mandatory paid leave of 30 working days a year (Monday - Saturday, public holidays are not included).

Not bad, but certainly less than those 6 weeks

Old 04-18-2016, 10:16 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Well that's because all Europeans are entitled to life, apparently, no matter what income/status in the society they have.
In the US not everyone is entitled to life, but only people with certain amount of money in the bank. Those who are below this income bracket, are turned into little obedient screws to serve those, who do have a life, lol)))

Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
The Urlaubsgesetz (Annual Leave Entitlement Law) is applicable to both apprentices and regular workers and stipulates a mandatory paid leave of 30 working days a year (Monday - Saturday, public holidays are not included).

Not bad, but certainly less than those 6 weeks
We sat down at the kitchen table in Salzburg and he showed me and it included numerous religious holidays...

Here is a USA Today report saying Austria ties for the highest...

1. Austria
> Days off per year: 35 (tied for the highest)
> Annual hours worked: 1,598 hours
> Labor productivity: $51.60 per hour
> GDP per capita: $42,409
> Unemployment rate, 2012: 4.4%

Austrians effectively receive 22 working days of paid vacation a year, according to CEPR. But numerous conditions exist that can make this number even higher. Workers with 25 years of work experience, or those who work strenuous jobs during nighttime hours, are entitled to additional time off. Austria also has 13 paid holidays, and employees who do work on these days must be compensated with time off or twice their daily wage. At just 4.5% in 2012, Austria had a lower unemployment rate than any other country in the eurozone. Possibly helping to keep unemployment so low, Austria has a long-standing apprenticeship program that helps find employment for much of the country's youngest workers, although the popularity of the program has faded in recent decades.

24/7 Wall St. is a USA TODAY content partner offering financial news and commentary. Its content is produced independently of USA TODAY.

On holiday: Countries with the most vacation days

He and his parents were incredulous when I told him what my first Union Job in California offered for time off.

One week paid vacation for years 1 through 5... so 4 years on the job and 5 paid days for holiday.

We also had 7 paid holidays in addition...

They could not believe in California there is no law requiring ANY paid time off... NONE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ave_by_country

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-19-2016 at 12:40 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 10:36 PM

Just to add... one of my co-workers at the time had two years off for each child... she had 3 children AND the company she worked for kept her job... for 6 years and she was getting paid.

The government also provided a cash payment to her when each of her children had their well baby doctor visits and vaccines book completed.

When they wanted to buy a home... they were eligible for a cash downpayment assistance and a lower subsidized interest rate...

I have plenty of examples where the young and productive are well taken care of in Austria.

Now my medical doctor friend at Vienna AKH say things are not all rosy when you are retired and require major medical... she has many examples where elderly were denied expensive procedures that are routine in the States...

Several of the Doctors I know have small village practices and they need to supplement their income as a Doctor... one works part time as a delivery driver... saving money to finish their home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe