Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM

26,754 posts, read 22,510,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't know anybody either who likes pink or green stuff on cakes. Just so unnatural.

Germans love their bakeries - but all items are fresh, don't last a week, no preservatives and even the sweet stuff is not that sweet. It is in no comparison to American baking goods.
I wouldn't mind coloring itself, since I used to have plenty of "frosting" in my childhood, just of much better quality than American quality of sweets sorry to say)))
However the TASTE(((((
As I've mentioned above, "quantity vs quality."
Intravenous shot of sugar.

P.S. So whenever I have a chance, I hunt for German sweets, although the supply is dwindling here where I live, unfortunately)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
It's lovely!!
I meant to ask you already for long time - how old are you?
Do you want me to supply a so-called "German cake" for your next birthday party with your little friends? I promise it's going to be decorated with all the rainbow colors; these cakes are awesome for food fight - that's about all they are good for)))

Old 04-28-2016, 01:02 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,554,834 times
Our sweets are so much better and tasty.

Get over it Euro people

Old 04-28-2016, 01:23 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,392,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
At the same time you absolutely don't have any problems with arson attacks against refugee shelters or terrorist attacks of extreme right-wingers.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,273,690 times
There are plenty of bakeries that produce quality product that would be loved anywhere in the world (and not surprisingly those bakers come from all over the world).

What europeans seem to not understand about America is how big it is and how the market caters to all desires and all levels of income. Most of us have a decent level of income and don't buy supermarket cakes with frosting 3 centimeters thick unless it's for little kids who like that stuff.

I live in a small desert city in the southwest that not many europeans would ever come to, but I have a belgian bakery/cafe down the street that serves pastries every bit as good as I got in Frankfurt and Wiesbaden. And those were damn good.

There is also a Tunisian shop that sells all sorts of middle eastern pastries that are wonderful too. When you go to a big city in America the choices are innumerable and include everything any european could ever get and stuff from Asia/Africa the rest of the Americas to boot.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:17 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,323,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post

What europeans seem to not understand about America is how big it is and how the market caters to all desires and all levels of income. Most of us have a decent level of income and don't buy supermarket cakes with frosting 3 centimeters thick unless it's for little kids who like that stuff.
I didn't even want to bother with a response, but yeah.

If your image of "typical American sweets" is a Costco frosting cake, then you haven't been to the U.S. in 40-50 years. Forget places like NYC and LA, even small town America has upscale sweets available, and Costco cakes are for 5-year-older birthday parties, not adults.

Just stroll into any Whole Foods (there are only about 500 Whole Foods in the U.S.) or any of its regional equivalents and the sweets selection rivals what you would find in a high-end konditerei in a major German or Austrian city. And obviously there are nicer independent bakeries.

My mother lives in Michigan, in a very "average" area, and there is a French bakery, a massive Italian supermarket, an Austrian cake-maker, a Polish market, and other independent sweets purveyors, as well as many upscale grocers that offer high-end sweets.

This bakery is very close to her home. Not exactly "Costco cake".

https://www.townsendhotel.com/view/townsend-bakery

Old 04-28-2016, 03:26 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,812,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I didn't even want to bother with a response, but yeah.

If your image of "typical American sweets" is a Costco frosting cake, then you haven't been to the U.S. in 40-50 years. Forget places like NYC and LA, even small town America has upscale sweets available, and Costco cakes are for 5-year-older birthday parties, not adults.

Just stroll into any Whole Foods (there are only about 500 Whole Foods in the U.S.) or any of its regional equivalents and the sweets selection rivals what you would find in a high-end konditerei in a major German or Austrian city. And obviously there are nicer independent bakeries.

My mother lives in Michigan, in a very "average" area, and there is a French bakery, a massive Italian supermarket, an Austrian cake-maker, a Polish market, and other independent sweets purveyors, as well as many upscale grocers that offer high-end sweets.

This bakery is very close to her home. Not exactly "Costco cake".

https://www.townsendhotel.com/view/townsend-bakery
Unless they are born in France, Italy, Austria or Poland i doubt they are anything similar to how a bakery, a supermarket or a cake maker in these countries would be. In fact, in the meantime local cuisines would have evolved with new trends whereas these places would be influenced by American ones and probably try to adapt to their standards. That said, that's still an impressive amount of variety

Old 04-28-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
There are plenty of bakeries that produce quality product that would be loved anywhere in the world (and not surprisingly those bakers come from all over the world).

I live in a small desert city in the southwest that not many europeans would ever come to, but I have a belgian bakery/cafe down the street that serves pastries every bit as gotod as I got in Frankfurt and Wiesbaden. And those were damn good.

There is also a Tunisian shop that sells all sorts of middle eastern pastries that are wonderful too. When you go to a big city in America the choices are innumerable and include everything any european could ever get and stuff from Asia/Africa the rest of the Americas to boot.
Yeah-yeah-yeah, I've heard this song before, about all the "variety" and "great stuff" that you can find "somewhere in upscale" whatever.
Why Germans don't need to go to "upscale whatever," but they buy their decent sweets on any corner, in any konditerai I wonder?

Old 04-28-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Unless they are born in France, Italy, Austria or Poland i doubt they are anything similar to how a bakery, a supermarket or a cake maker in these countries would be. In fact, in the meantime local cuisines would have evolved with new trends whereas these places would be influenced by American ones and probably try to adapt to their standards. That said, that's still an impressive amount of variety
Thank you. And even then, with time I suspect they start adjusting their goods to American standards of "quantity vs quality." Efficiency, you know.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:21 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,627,481 times
About a dozen of the small family owned and operated bakeries in my area are no more... they ranged from very small to those with large followings... and all with European roots.

Guess it is a sign of the times...

Contrast to one that I patronize in Salzburg has been there over 200 years... and similar for the one I visit in Munich... Salzburg's oldest Bakery dates from the 12th century!

http://www.salzburg.info/en/shopping...kerei_st_peter

Hard to find anything half that old in SF Bay Area in business and California became a State in 1850... so 166 years and counting....

Their were huge concentrations of German speaking families with Taverns and Vereins and even a very large Altenheim that marked huge declines after both World Wars...

Even the Altenheim closed...

https://localwiki.org/oakland/The_Altenheim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe